My new yet used Vermont Castings Resoulute Acclaim 2490. Fired up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lctatlp

Oct 6, 2011
North Shore, MA
New for me, my Resolute Acclaim. I hope the pic gets to you all, I'm new here. I cannot tell how invaluable the information is here.

Before I blast out a bunch of questions, I read up and down and all over about how to install a chimney and to build a hearth here.
I decided on Bluestone and I think I like it, I'm still trying to figure out how to clean it tho. I still have to trim it out with some maple I have lying around from my kitchen cabinets.
I hope someone can hit me up that has a little passion for the 2490.. Man do u guys hammer that stove.

Well it's a fairly bad pic here but maybe u all can see what I've been working on.

Attachments

• 1023112253.jpg
    1023112253.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 328
Nice, I always liked how the Acclaim looked.

I'm still trying to figure out how to run it with the damper closed. I can keep it fired up around 550 to 600 with the damper opened but once I close it it seems to slowly cool off.
I think it may be my wood. I stacked 1.5 cords under the roof gable, north side... good idea huh..

lctatlp said:
I'm still trying to figure out how to run it with the damper closed. I can keep it fired up around 550 to 600 with the damper opened but once I close it it seems to slowly cool off.
I think it may be my wood. I stacked 1.5 cords under the roof gable, north side... good idea huh..

When was the wood split and stacked?

In April I cut down a bunch of cherry with my Dad. I had a big locust that fell on my kitchen roof two years ago, so I've been burning that too. I have box elder, basswood and maple as well. Most of it is seasoned between 6 months and 2 years. But like I said, I stacked it under the north gable, it has been getting soaked by all the rain the last two months.

lctatlp said:
In April I cut down a bunch of cherry with my Dad. I had a big locust that fell on my kitchen roof two years ago, so I've been burning that too. I have box elder, basswood and maple as well. Most of it is seasoned between 6 months and 2 years. But like I said, I stacked it under the north gable, it has been getting soaked by all the rain the last two months.

Surface moisture usually isn't a big deal, lack of sun and wind would be a bigger issue. I run an old Vigilant as well, which work close to the same as the Acclaim. If you suspect the wood is an issue let it burn hot and long in updraft mode with the damper open before closing the damper. Pick up a bundle or two of the store bought wood to see how it compares to the you have.

Also, relocate your wood to an area that gets more wind and sun.

When I pick and chose the wood that I think is seasoned it seems to burn ok. Yet when I close the damper, even after it has been firing for quite a while, it does lose temp. I guess it can be a learning curve with this stove.
I throw in small cherry rounds that I cut down in April and it tends to die down. I found a white pine in Amesbury MA last spring, so when I pop that in it fires right up. But I really hope to burn with the cherry and locust and box elder.

lctatlp said:
When I pick and chose the wood that I think is seasoned it seems to burn ok. Yet when I close the damper, even after it has been firing for quite a while, it does lose temp. I guess it can be a learning curve with this stove.
I throw in small cherry rounds that I cut down in April and it tends to die down. I found a white pine in Amesbury MA last spring, so when I pop that in it fires right up. But I really hope to burn with the cherry and locust and box elder.

How are you working the air controls?

I have the damper open of course when I start a fire. Then when the temp gets up to about 350, on the griddle, I throw in larger splits. I burn that for a while, maybe a half hour or so. I toss in big boys at this time, close the damper, then toss in a big locust and a cherry. This is when it dies down. Very slowly over time. I think it may be the cherry not seasoned enough. Not sure..

lctatlp said:
I have the damper open of course when I start a fire. Then when the temp gets up to about 350, on the griddle, I throw in larger splits. I burn that for a while, maybe a half hour or so. I toss in big boys at this time, close the damper, then toss in a big locust and a cherry. This is when it dies down. Very slowly over time. I think it may be the cherry not seasoned enough. Not sure..

This is your issue, unless you miss-typed. You mention adding, letting it burn in, adding some more. But when you mentioned adding in the "big boys" you skip right to closing the damper. Those big piece will need to burn in a bit before you close the damper.

Also, you never mentioned what you are doing with the air controls in the back. And, are these "big boys" splits or rounds?

The big ones are rounds and splits. I have all types of wood you could imagine. How long would you suggest to burn in the big overnight wood?

lctatlp said:
The big ones are rounds and splits. I have all types of wood you could imagine. How long would you suggest to burn in the big overnight wood?

That part will vary. Round have a tendency to hold more moisture. Stick with splits for the short term until you get the feel for things.

How about those air controls? Is it wide open when you close the damper? Is the air shut down when the damper is closed?

I didn't know that rounds hold moisture.
Well when I close the damper down with the box full of wood - I have the lever under the ash pan open either all the way full or to the detent-which I think is about 75% open. And it still very slowly cools off.
After reading up here it may be my 6 month seasoned wood. Or maybe my chimney? It's only 7' above the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.