My newest scrounge!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyOne

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2006
Central NJ
I really lucked out. I saw a small time tree company removing three trees and received word from a neighbor they were cutting and dumping it by hand. So I pull up in front of the house with an empty truck and trailer and introduced myself. The guy said I could take it all. :bug: He then had me back up into the driveway while his guys loaded me up as I watched. I only had time for one load, so I called a friend with a storage yard and got the ok for them to dump the rest there. Told the guy to please cut the remaining logs 18". I left and just talked to my buddy who said they ran several loads over and it's there waiting for me. ;-)

I didn't check my new book with pictures to see exactly what it is, but it all looks nice. That's a 6.5'x12' tandem trailer BTW.

Attachments

• scrounge1.jpg
    scrounge1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 886
  • scrounge2.jpg
    scrounge2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 883
Nice scrounge!

Judging from the pictures and your description, I would say it's: FREE HEAT!

Great score! I hope you told tree company to give you all the hardwood they can take down!

The smooth-bark stuff looks like beech, the other stuff I'll guess some species of maple.

Nice score that will keep you warm next year

Thats a freakin awesome haul! Love the trailer. And that looks like some great wood.

Fuzzy,

Nice score. Let me know if you ever need a hand with anything, i'm not too far away, in clinton. i also have a splitter.

SCFA,

Thanks for the offer. I rarely make plans to split/collect wood. It's more spur of the moment or I'd take you up on the offer. I offered 3 other friends a part of the load after the guy is done with his clean-up, so if any is left, I'll send you a PM. I had it dumped in Dunellen which isn't to far rom you.

frwinks,

Thats a nice scrounge for you indeed! Can I ask why you don't have sides going up to the front on your trailer? Is it because of tongue weight? I try to put the larger rounds in the back, but I know I push the limits occasionally. My trailer is a '91 and I really need to update the shackle bolts as I think they are showing their age. I often thought about getting rid of this tank now that I stopped landscaping, but it sure is nice to haul wood. :coolsmile:

Here is my second free load. Tomorrow the main trunk should be ready for the third load. All this for a case of Corona. :)

Attachments

• scrounge4.jpg
    scrounge4.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 632
  • scrounge3.jpg
    scrounge3.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 671
Forgot to mention that according to my new book, most of it looks like maple and a variety of oak.

Here's another random shot just because I'm so happy!!!!

Attachments

• scrounge6.jpg
    scrounge6.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 659
hahaha.. amazing how much joy free wood can bring.. lol

I bought the trailer like that a couple of years ago to haul my buggy around...I thought about extending the sides full length of the trailer, but am affraid I might start overloading it... :) It's only rated @ 7,000lbs and I'm sure I've already maxed it out once or twice (some of the wood chunks on my last load were well over 100lbs). Next time I'll bring my buddy's 15000 lbs dump trailer. LOL

That's a fine score Fuzz. I'm truly jealous. Both of the wood and the trailer.

[quote author="FuzzyOne" date="1170493422"]SCFA,

Thanks for the offer. I rarely make plans to split/collect wood. It's more spur of the moment or I'd take you up on the offer. I offered 3 other friends a part of the load after the guy is done with his clean-up, so if any is left, I'll send you a PM. I had it dumped in Dunellen which isn't to far rom you.

Thanks for the offer fuzzy, i was merely offering to give you a hand if you ever need it. but if you ever have "extra" i would GREATLY appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.