my newest setup for splitting ended quickly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoke eater

Aug 25, 2010
hudson valley, ny
so I figured I would try out a new method of splitting huge rounds with a little help from my backhoe. with my bad back, I'll try anything to make it easier to split. so, instead of rolling these huge rounds in the mud, and splitting vertical, which I'm not a big fan of, I tried using the thumb on my backhoe to lift the rounds right onto the splitter. it started out ok, but ended quickly. the spark plug boot on my splitter kept falling off. I looked inside and it looked scary. all rusted up. so, I'll have to figure out if I can I change the little crimped piece that contacts the spark plug tip or do I have to change the whole wire? I tried briefly to see if I could disconnect the wire, but it goes inside the housing cover. I'll take a better look at it tomorrow. also, this warm weather turned out to be no bargain. everything is wet and muddy from the snow melting. can't wait until Tuesday , when temps are back in the 20's- perfect splitting weather.

IMG_20131222_125811_070.jpg plug boot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ashful
so I figured I would try out a new method of splitting huge rounds with a little help from my backhoe. with my bad back, I'll try anything to make it easier to split. so, instead of rolling these huge rounds in the mud, and splitting vertical, which I'm not a big fan of, I tried using the thumb on my backhoe to lift the rounds right onto the splitter. it started out ok, but ended quickly. the spark plug boot on my splitter kept falling off. I looked inside and it looked scary. all rusted up. so, I'll have to figure out if I can I change the little crimped piece that contacts the spark plug tip or do I have to change the whole wire? I tried briefly to see if I could disconnect the wire, but it goes inside the housing cover. I'll take a better look at it tomorrow. also, this warm weather turned out to be no bargain. everything is wet and muddy from the snow melting. can't wait until Tuesday , when temps are back in the 20's- perfect splitting weather. View attachment 121399 View attachment 121400
You should be able to pull that little boot off and change it. It's not a big deal.

Also...I use my tractor bucket. I load the bucket with rounds and roll em right off on to the splitter. It's easy. Nothing hits the ground.

Yep, you should be able to replace that plug connector.

If not, I've found a good way of cleaning them. Bronze bore brushes for firearms make very nice rotary wire brushs when placed in the drill. 22 cal works great for cleaning the flat 4 pin towing harness connectors. 9 mm works good on plug boots.

When you are all done, inject a blob of Permatex clear diaelectric or white lithium grease in there.

Auto parts store is your friend. Take along a copy of the photo of the boot/connector, and you might be in & out of there with what you need without having to say a word. ;lol Should be easy. You'll be splitting again in no time. Rick

so I figured I would try out a new method of splitting huge rounds with a little help from my backhoe. with my bad back, I'll try anything to make it easier to split. so, instead of rolling these huge rounds in the mud, and splitting vertical, which I'm not a big fan of, I tried using the thumb on my backhoe to lift the rounds right onto the splitter. it started out ok, but ended quickly. the spark plug boot on my splitter kept falling off. I looked inside and it looked scary. all rusted up. so, I'll have to figure out if I can I change the little crimped piece that contacts the spark plug tip or do I have to change the whole wire? I tried briefly to see if I could disconnect the wire, but it goes inside the housing cover. I'll take a better look at it tomorrow. also, this warm weather turned out to be no bargain. everything is wet and muddy from the snow melting. can't wait until Tuesday , when temps are back in the 20's- perfect splitting weather.

View attachment 121399 View attachment 121400
I thought you weren't suppose to run the hydraulic splitter under 32 degree temperature outside.

Done it for all 8 years we've been here, with no known ill effects.
Doesn't mean I should, but by that reasoning, I shouldn't drive my Jeep below 32° either.:cool:
Just something I read in the owners manual of my splitter not my automobile.
Split away by all means.

thanks for all the input. I tried 2 local auto parts stores by phone, and they said they didn't have what I'm looking for. I like the cleaning idea. I might try that first, tomorrow. as far as using it in cold weather- which is most of the time i use it- I've had this machine for 11 years and all I do is the recommended maintenance. supposed to rain tomorrow. good day to fix the splitter and maybe organize the garage- again. Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday

Just something I read in the owners manual of my splitter not my automobile.
Split away by all means.
that could be about using certain weights of oil. i use synthetic 10w30 in everything and that's ok for cold and warm weather, actually cold weather starting. if you use straight 30, its not recommended for the cold because its thicker, which is better for warmer weather.

thanks for all the input. I tried 2 local auto parts stores by phone, and they said they didn't have what I'm looking for. I like the cleaning idea. I might try that first, tomorrow.....

If you can't find a plug boot / connector at the auto parts places, try a power sports dealer. I replaced the ones on my Polaris sled last winter. It uses caps with an internal resistor to limit electrical interference with the FM helmet communicator sets / radios that many folks use.

Reactions: jeff_t
My splitter arrival happened to coincide with my tractor's first servicing. I COULD have reused my super UDT fluid from the tractor. Instead I put the high dollar used stuff in the splitter, and bought new for the tractor.

Splitter lives outside. Usually takes a while for the little honda to warm up in the winter, never had any hydraulic issues though.

Always looking for an easier way. I like the idea of rounds in the bucket.. but don't you have to stretch too much to roll them out? Or are you just getting them up to height and still carrying them to splitter rail?

JP

I thought you weren't suppose to run the hydraulic splitter under 32 degree temperature outside.

Mine recommends ATF instead of the regular hydraulic oil for cold weather.

On that note, if it is too cold for AW32, it is too cold for me. Twenties is my limit. I start it and let it run for a while, and run the ram back and forth several time with no load, before I start splitting.

Reactions: PapaDave and Ashful
Never heard of that.
I was mistaken about the 32 degrees the manual actually says never operate the splitter if fluid is less the 20 degrees.

Mine recommends ATF instead of the regular hydraulic oil for cold weather.
Jeff beat me to it. Yes, the hydro fluid factory-loaded into some splitters is not cold weather-friendly. Many will suggest another fluid (often ATF) for cold weather use.

Many hydro fluids are hydrophilic, and do collect a bit of water as time goes on. Anyone who's cleaned out the rear end of an old Cub Cadet hydro unit can tell you all about that.

My splitter arrival happened to coincide with my tractor's first servicing. I COULD have reused my super UDT fluid from the tractor. Instead I put the high dollar used stuff in the splitter, and bought new for the tractor.

Splitter lives outside. Usually takes a while for the little honda to warm up in the winter, never had any hydraulic issues though.

Always looking for an easier way. I like the idea of rounds in the bucket.. but don't you have to stretch too much to roll them out? Or are you just getting them up to height and still carrying them to splitter rail?

JP

I think you're referring to kool hand looke about the bucket. I might try that. we're both letting the tractor do all the lifting and placing them right on the splitter. I have a wide cradle on mine that makes it much easier to do it this way. when I try using the loader bucket, i'll roll them right onto the cradle. i'll do it that way when splitting rounds that are stacked on other areas of my property. i'll load 2-3 big rounds and then drive over to where I split and stack. using the thumb on the backhoe right now is easier because I don't have to move the tractor. i'll roll the round to the rear of my trailer, pick it up with the thumb, and place it on the cradle. splitting and stacking is done in one place. I'm still trying to perfect my whole operation here, concentrating on moving the wood as little as possible. hope this helps for you JP.

also, my splitter is stored inside, so it doesn't matter how cold it is outside. it warms up quicker and I can't see the cold overtaking the fluids once its running. and like Jeff said, I too run the ram a few times to "warm up" the fluid. the cold never bothers me, but if its cold and windy, forget it. I'm inside

Yep, you should be able to replace that plug connector.

If not, I've found a good way of cleaning them. Bronze bore brushes for firearms make very nice rotary wire brushs when placed in the drill. 22 cal works great for cleaning the flat 4 pin towing harness connectors. 9 mm works good on plug boots.

When you are all done, inject a blob of Permatex clear diaelectric or white lithium grease in there.

took your advice and it went smooth. fixed. I thought for sure once I tried to clean it, it would just break apart. thanks

I will get some extras for the future, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.