My Next Chainsaw Will Be A...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CTYank said:
Allow me to restate the obvious (to me.)
A saw is only as good as the edge on its chain cutters. And that's perishable.
If I'm going to obsess about brand/model/bar-length/yada-yada, that'll be after seeing to the chain being razor-sharp.
Simplest, cheapest way to mazimize bang/buck: file early, file often. (Maybe that's why my 35+ yr old Echo is still competent at limbing.)

Yup! Yup! With you on the whole post. I just sharpened my 18" chain for my 40 cc Echo using my new Timber Tuff grinder. First time I ever used a chain grinder. Got it very, very sharp. Cuts better than factory sharpened chain. Still need a bigger saw (higher cc with longer bar). Though happier with my Echo now.

CTYank said:
If I'm going to obsess about brand/model/bar-length/yada-yada, that'll be after seeing to the chain being razor-sharp.
Simplest, cheapest way to mazimize bang/buck: file early, file often. (Maybe that's why my 35+ yr old Echo is still competent at limbing.)

The operator, the chain, then the powerhead. In that order. A lousy operator will ruin a perfectly good chain and a ratty chain will ruin even the best powerhead unless the operator intervenes. Never heard of a crappy saw ruining a good chain and have never heard of a busted operator where it truly was the fault of the chain.

I bought a used 390 off of craigslist, never looked back.
I'm one of the people that leave fuel in their saw... (I know I shouldn't) Anytime I need it, even if it's been sitting for 3-4 months, she only takes 2-3 pulls to start up. First one choked, then give it another tug on run and it's good to go.

I'm swinging a 18" bar, flies through anything I've cut so far. I have a 22" that it came with, but I rarely cut anything bigger than 14-16"
We'll see how it does when I get a log load this winter.

CTYank said:

+1. You're right on.

All the power in the world doesn't mean a damned thing with a dull chain, or one that has been poorly sharpened. I went through the HP phase a few years back, slinging Dolmar7900s and warmed-over 066s with 20" bars for felling work. Yes, they cut fast, but I wasn't really any more productive for it. Lately all my felling, and much of my bucking work has been done with the good ol' Dolmar 5100s (18", 3/8" chain) and much of the rest gets done with a Husky 238 (13", .325" chain). The only time the big motor/short bar really comes in handy is in making the same cut over and over, every 16-20", when blocking up a long log for firewood, but even then the other saws move along plenty fast enough in wood that is 1-1.5x bar length.

50cc trail clearing:
2011_June_HNPA_RougeRescue21.jpg

MasterMech said:
smokinjay said:
TreePointer said:
If you want to check out Husqvarna, the 60cc model to look at is the new 562XP.

For 60cc's, you can't go wrong with 361/362, but some say the 562XP is the new best-in-class. I'm eager to try one.

I hate the hype on saw's. No matter what is said just remember its still a saw. Best in class is who owns it.

I'm with ya' here Jay. The operator makes the biggest difference for sure. That said, the 562XP sure does look to be a threat to the MS362...

I think huskys have a few real threats.....

smokinjay said:
MasterMech said:
smokinjay said:
TreePointer said:

For 60cc's, you can't go wrong with 361/362, but some say the 562XP is the new best-in-class. I'm eager to try one.

I hate the hype on saw's. No matter what is said just remember its still a saw. Best in class is who owns it.

I'm with ya' here Jay. The operator makes the biggest difference for sure. That said, the 562XP sure does look to be a threat to the MS362...

Their distribution/retail model comes to mind.....

MasterMech said:
smokinjay said:
MasterMech said:
smokinjay said:
TreePointer said:

Their distribution/retail model comes to mind.....

ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.