My NPS45 is not burning that well .....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
i really need to do the leaf blower trick but there's so much snow/ice around the house that cleaning is a challenge, My tools are in the shed back there and i cannot even open the door to get the big ash vac.
I used a smaller ash vac the other day but suction wasn't the same as with the bigger one, so i must use the bigger ash vac.

Stove gets a thick "ash bar" formation on the top of the glass within 24 hours and this wasn't happening the first 2 months when stove was new.
I did the ash vac trick couple times before end of the year, so it isn't that i haven't cleaned the pipes since installed back at the end of Sept.

Burn pot seems to bunch pellets a bit more than before and it seems like there's always clinkers in it when i turn the unit off and i'm using same cubex and okies as before.

I know it is just coincidence but it seems like if it all started when i burned a bag of hammer hot ones which produced a lot of ash for me and didn't burn that well, i started fiddling with the trim settings then, but when i turn off the unit i unplug it so it should be back at factory defaults anyways.

I assume due to the clinker formation (like a crust) the purge cycle is not working as effective as at the beginning where the burn pot would be almost clean...!!! I don't know if it was because the unit was running on/off during the day, versus now that it runs consecutive for 3 or 4 days.

The pics are from this morning, almost 3 days burning. To get very good heat i need to se the feed at 4 and you can see the flames are always a bit tall (even the feed trim is at the lowest of 1) and sort of lazy maybe.....i haven't learned what the lazy flame really is yet.

I will shut it down now and clean inside really well as usual, when turned back on and feed at 3 the flames look much alive because it seems that air is coming from under the pot more effectively (stove is clean)

Attachments

• Picture 036 small.jpg
    Picture 036 small.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 308
  • Picture 037 small.jpg
    Picture 037 small.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 300
  • Picture 038 small.jpg
    Picture 038 small.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 297
save$, are you around and can you post pics of your NPS40 after burning for a couple consecutive days?

geek,

Are you now burnig the stove on High/Low(not sure what Napoleon calls there mode) were before you were Auto/Off? If the stove spends some time on low heat setting(maintained burn to save igniter) there is a good chance low fire could be the build up issue.

I still would clean the crap out of the stove if you have more than a ton thru the unit. Pull the blowers and run a brush thru the pipes. Then the vac/leaf blower finally to get all the built up stuff out!

Keep us posted!

i was running in high/low (t-stat mode) but having using it in auto (on/off mode) lately.
Since my wireless t-stat has a swing temp the room temp never goes beyond what the t-stat is calling for, so I don't really think the igniter is going into the low mode.

Also, running in on/off mode allows me to up the t-stat manually so the stove shuts off, just easier i think overall.
After i clean the unit in the fire box it performs very good and the flames seem very nice, now i am burning cubex since yesterday and they seem to burn much nicer than the okies.

I cleaned the room blower back in Dec. i think but never cleaned the combustion blower.....not planing to clean this one until the season is over, that would be around 3 tons through it, hope it would be ok.

The leaf blower would be a bit tough due to the height of ice/snow accumulation around the house but will try.

The okies are giving me these clinker formations in the pot, like a crust around the bottom and i'm sure this is preventing the air from passing through from the bottom.

I will report after the cubex burn for 3 consecutive days regarding the clinkers. I will post the pics of the clinkers later tonight.

I'm down to 5 bags. Goin to get a ton of Somersets tonight for $174

3 tons is way more than I would push through a stove without cleaning everything. Most I have done is 1 1/2 tons worth. But I might be a clean freek and feel the cleaner it is the more heat I get out.

Keep us posted!

How do you clean the horizontal exhaust channels that go from the vertical exhaust outlet at the top of the stove to the comb fan? How do you clean the vertical exh pathways in side the stove? There are cleanouts at the bottom but not enough room to clean inside the channel. It could be all plugged up in there.

turbotech said:
How do you clean the horizontal exhaust channels that go from the vertical exhaust outlet at the top of the stove to the comb fan? How do you clean the vertical exh pathways in side the stove? There are cleanouts at the bottom but not enough room to clean inside the channel. It could be all plugged up in there.

do you also have the NPS45?

pictures of the clinker formation using okies.
Cubex is in since yesterday and burning so good...

Attachments

• Picture 039 small.jpg
    Picture 039 small.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 188
  • Picture 040 small.jpg
    Picture 040 small.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 198
geek said:
pictures of the clinker formation using okies.
Cubex is in since yesterday and burning so good...

Place in bowl add a little cream and suger. Its a manly breakfast! :) Sorry geek! :red:

Does it brake apart real easy or more like a brick/rock?

jay, check the new thread i just created.

Ok I posted there too!

Well the cubies are good and cloinkers with Okies. If you try the Okies again I would reduce the feed trim down to 1 and increase the combustion trim air to 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.