My Oak Heap Hausen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
It use to be a pile of rounds and I split it up with maul little by little throughout the winter til I finished up today. I figure it's close to 6 cords of almost all White and Red Oak with a little bit of Ash. I should be good to go for the next 3 winters. Half of it will be moved into the wood shed this Spring.

Attachments

• 100_0900.jpg
    100_0900.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 696
  • 100_0901.jpg
    100_0901.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 738
IMO the oak will take 2 yrs + to dry in that condition. Sorry, but that has been my experience.

That's a heck of a Heap. Nice job with the maul! Wish it was in my yard.

Think that's 6 cord? What are the approx dimensions of the pile?

It looks to me more like 3 or 4 cord, but can be tricky to judge and I'm also no expert.

In any case, great work and that's some nice looking red oak.

Rough dimension is 18' long 8' wide and 7' tall. I just kind a threw it into this heap as I split and none of this will be burned til 2011/12 and 2012/13. Next years Oak is allready in the shed along with this year, this pile will replace this years and the next. I'm trying to stay 3 years ahead cuz I know how Oak needs that extra time to dry out.

Nice heap...better to split now so it doesn't interfere with boating season.

Todd said:
Rough dimension is 18' long 8' wide and 7' tall. I just kind a threw it into this heap as I split and none of this will be burned til 2011/12 and 2012/13. Next years Oak is allready in the shed along with this year, this pile will replace this years and the next. I'm trying to stay 3 years ahead cuz I know how Oak needs that extra time to dry out.

Sorry, looked smaller than that. 6 cord sounds pretty close then.

nice lookin pile!! i'm with basswidow wish it was in my yard!

Todd said:
It use to be a pile of rounds and I split it up with maul little by little throughout the winter til I finished up today. I figure it's close to 6 cords of almost all White and Red Oak with a little bit of Ash. I should be good to go for the next 3 winters. Half of it will be moved into the wood shed this Spring.
Nice work!

Good job Todd. Now we know for sure that you kept warm this winter with all that hand splitting. And the handling of it is not done yet! I'm betting you like that shed you built for storing that wood.

The shed is working out great Dennis. No more fussing with tarps or wet snow covered splits.

Attachments

• 100_0903.jpg
    100_0903.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 506
I have to admit that I like it.

Cool! A woodshed with satellite TV. Spend all your time out there watching the "Wood Channel" do you?
Was that an add-on to an existing building? Looks nice!

Kenster said:
Cool! A woodshed with satellite TV. Spend all your time out there watching the "Wood Channel" do you?
Was that an add-on to an existing building? Looks nice!

Ha ha, actually those sat dishes aren't hooked up anymore, had nothing but problems with Direct TV, went back to cable. Wood shed is connected to detached garage and has a good southern exposure.

Nice workout doing all that with a maul. Fine looking wood shed addition have you had any problem with rodents , ants, or anything like that with it attached to the garage ? We don't get any X rated channels like the "wood channel " round here. :gulp:

Is that your woodshed or your house? Next time build a smaller, shabbier woodshed to avoid confusion.

Tony H said:
Nice workout doing all that with a maul. Fine looking wood shed addition have you had any problem with rodents , ants, or anything like that with it attached to the garage ? We don't get any X rated channels like the "wood channel " round here. :gulp:

No ants or termites just a million of those little Japanese lady bug Beatles. I have to knock them off just about every other piece of wood. Also found a lot of acorns stashed by chipmunks, but no nests yet.

Hmmm . . . this thread is giving me some ideas. I do believe I have an extra TV in the house . . . I may not get satellite TV, but I bet I could rig it up to get the local HD TV stations . . . then I'd be all set . . . just me, my white lawn chair and a TV.

And yes . . . I am kidding . . . well partially kidding . . . I don't want to give my wife any ideas about me moving out there when my snoring gets to be too much for her. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.