My OAK Install Pics - Need tips regarding gaps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryger

Feb 25, 2011
CT
I installed my OAK over the weekend and am pretty happy with the results so far. Room seems to be much warmer without any drafts.

What I am hoping to do is to seal off the gaps that run along the bottom of each panel on the Santa Fe, (See last picture). It can't be something permanent plus the gaps are too large for any type of sealant. I'm thinking about using high temp tape hopefully in black. Anyone know of such an item.

Also if I do seal off the gaps am I going to cause problems with convection air flow?

Attachments

• OAK Install 1.jpg
    OAK Install 1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 325
  • OAK Install 2.jpg
    OAK Install 2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 323
  • OAK Install 3.jpg
    OAK Install 3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 317
  • OAK Install 4.jpg
    OAK Install 4.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 318
  • OAK Install 5.jpg
    OAK Install 5.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 311
You do not want to seal those because:

1. With OAK that area is not being used to obtain burn air.

2. That area is the source for your convection bolwer's air.

That's what I was concerned about. Thanks.

Ja. Convection panels. I have them on my Atlanta stove. I tried the stove both with and without the panels. In theory, the interior surfaces of the stove would run cooler without the panels, therefore foul more. Didn't notice any difference. I put my panels back on since that is the way the designer intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.