My Oakie Black hills thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They do come from the same distributor, but the mills are in fact two totally seperate mills. The LeCrete's are one pellet, and the Boundary Bay pellets, although sold by the same distributor, come from.......ready?....

Trebio!

Trebio is now putting their stuff in Boundary Bay bags and it is being marketed as a "price point" pellet for the LeCrete dealers. The Boundary Bay label is only for dealers who buy their LeCretes from one very specific distributor. You will not see a lot of it here in the northeast.

Interesting. When you say it's a "price point" pellet, do you mean it should be less expensive, more expensive or the same? Sorry, not in wholesale/retail sales.....

The Boundary Bay pellet was much darker and looked more like the Black Hills pellet to my eye. The fragrence was not as strong, though. You could really smell the Black Hills pellets and they definitely felt "stickier".

Price pointing, is like casting a bigger net, to catch shoppers who will only spend X amount..

A used car lot is a great place to see price pointing, you can buy a used Beamer for 60k or a Chevy chevette for $600.

Have a product for each market

So which market is the Boundary Bay trying to compete in? The less expensive one? The reason I ask is that the Boundary Bay's are the same price as LaCrete's. Are they supposed to be?

What kind of shape is the Chevette in?;)

So which market is the Boundary Bay trying to compete in? The less expensive one? The reason I ask is that the Boundary Bay's are the same price as LaCrete's. Are they supposed to be?
Why certain retailers do things one way and others choose to do it differently is usually based upon different, but often very legitimate factors. Anything that is priced as a "price point" is priced lower than the higher quality items to attract the price shoppers vs those in the market for a "Beamer." Typically, you will find that the Boundary Bay pellets will be priced at a lower price than the LeCretes. Which, from the outside would make the dealer who sells the Boundary Bay pellets look a bit shady. But, being a retailer, I can tell you that there are often very good reasons for this. I wont get into every reason, but here is just one, of many possible scenarios. It may be that some dealers are required to buy certain amounts of BOTH product from this distributor, regardless of whether they want to or not. If this is the case, the dealer may just take the average cost of both and mark them up based upon the average cost, thus assuring that they move equal amounts. DISCLAIMER:..I am not saying that this is what they are doing, but it is one of MANY possible legitimate reasons other than just a "shady practice."

Fair enough. Thanks for the explaination.

wow 4 pages! have i been gone that long :)
So here is what i got
Fines? pfft i sifted a bag of the black hills i got a 1/2 cup
ash? a little more then i expected 1/2 cup
Heat? HOT! i'll put them up in the Somersets scale ( they are hotter then Vermonts to me )

NO bits chunks or pieces at all So it appears they got that taken care of
I have some pics on my home computer ill post later. I just neglected this thread so i wanted to post my findings on the black hills
So my opinion on the black hills is now satisfied i tried them for myself, they are a very good pellet

i did do a comparison to Vermonts right after, but thats another thread :)

Ill hit up the bag of oakies i have soon and try them out, but by looking thru the clear bags, i dont see a fines issue with them, but shall see when i open it

I would also like to mention Pellets r us in berkley mass http://www.pellets-r-us.com/ You want to talk about nice people! June and Steve are about the nicest people i have dealt with in a long time. What a gig they have going there. the place was very busy for a late Saturday afternoon.little story about how far they go for a customer..

There was a customer there complaing about damaged Vermonts. Yes WET pellets. They were delivered by steve so he knows first hand the customer stores the pellets OUTSIDE in the weather under a cover. And pointed that out as the reason to the customer.but of course they didnt want to hear it.

Steve says not a problem leave those pellets here ( almost 1/2 ton ) and take new ones
YES he replaced them! I looked at him and said " You're Crazy! "... he replied sometimes you have to take one on the chin to keep a customer happy.
That guys is going way and beyond This dealer had no place replacing those pellets.

On my way out they asked me to take a few bags of North Country to try. So ill post on those when i get a chance. I just been busy with stupid things lately

Reactions: Branson4720
Guess I must be spoiled a bit - Heartland pellets $5.99/bag as full pallet. Saw LaCretes at our local Wally World (Ontario) for $5.97/bag but stored outside uncovered. Captive audience here so I'm happy my local Home Hardware brings in the Heartlands.

How do the LaCretes compare to the Heartlands for heat (hardwood vs softwood right?).

Guess I must be spoiled a bit - Heartland pellets $5.99/bag as full pallet. Saw LaCretes at our local Wally World (Ontario) for $5.97/bag but stored outside uncovered. Captive audience here so I'm happy my local Home Hardware brings in the Heartlands.

How do the LaCretes compare to the Heartlands for heat (hardwood vs softwood right?).

Lake Girl, both are softwoods
Heartlands are ponderosa pine
La Crete's are SPF(Spruce-Pine-Fir)

I loved the Heartlands when I could get them. Very hot and clean. I haven't tried the La Crete's yet, 2 bags in the stash ready to try.

So i had a chance to try the North Country this weekend. Very small pellet. The lightest in color pellet i have seen. Didnt sift, but no concern on the amount of fines.
Heat was decent. Ash, I got a full cup out of a bag more then i expected. I think the price is close to 300.00 on these. So def not worth that, imo. . The price http://www.pellets-r-us.com/ is selling them for was on special 250.00 at the time i was there. Considering the other options out there that price would be top of the line imo.

So thanks http://www.pellets-r-us.com/ for giving me the opportunity to try these pellets out. Anyone considering buying from them, do it. June and Steve are great people. Believe me, i wouldnt say it if it wasnt true

Just grabbed a bag of the Black Hills to burn this weekend. They smell awesome, they are burning hot and the ash is not bad. May pop for a ton to stash for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.