My Ongoing Fireview Saga

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it sounds like something they prefer not to do but in the first minute of my conversation I told them that if it couldn't be left-handed, I wouldn't be buying it.

The one thing I was afraid of and now that it is in to place, I realize that I've just lost my space for my wood stack as I now need that room for me while loading.

Oh, and her finger is actually much better than she expected. Should be back to normal in a few days. Thanks everybody for your concern.

Todd said:
xraydog said:
Nice pics of the stove being made.

The pictures show the door on the left.... is that correct or are the pics backwards.

Is that an option?

I recently purchased and installed a firewiew. The left hand loading door would have worked best on my hearth. I mentioned that to Woodstock, but, they did not mention that that was an options. It really is not that big of a concern. Just waiting for cold weather.

Rick D

Yes, it's an option, but I guess you have to twist their arm some, they never mentioned it to me either when I wanted a left side door 4 years ago. :mad:

You do have to ask for it - I believe it is an option that is new this year (or very recently). When I was there ordering mine I had been told on the phone it was possible but the person I was talking to on the floor didn't know it yet and had to check on it. I overheard a bit of the discussion and from what I gather there may have been some design change in the side panels that now allows them to be swapped out during the build. A good idea in my opinion (of course I wanted a left side door so I would think it a good idea eh?). Now - the thing to keep in mind is that the controls (air and cat bypass) are still on the right side so your installation still must allow you to reach around the right side to get to those settings. Not quite as convenient as reaching them as you walk up to the door, but...

wendell said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Wendell, tell the wife we all wish her well and hope that finger wasn't hurt too bad. May she heal fast.

Thanks, Dennis. She was touched but a little confused why someone named Savage would be wishing her well! :lol:

She said, "Well, he must have a little nice streak in him." Of course I told her what a great guy you are!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just be VERY happy that you got the stove that she wanted. Or you would be in a world of hurt after the finger smash.

Backwoods Savage said:
wendell said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Wendell, tell the wife we all wish her well and hope that finger wasn't hurt too bad. May she heal fast.

Thanks, Dennis. She was touched but a little confused why someone named Savage would be wishing her well! :lol:

She said, "Well, he must have a little nice streak in him." Of course I told her what a great guy you are!

He's a gentle savage who is very strong for an old guy. :)

Flatbedford said:
Backwoods Savage said:
wendell said:
Backwoods Savage said:

He may be a savage, but at least he's OUR Savage! :)

BrotherBart said:
Just be VERY happy that you got the stove that she wanted. Or you would be in a world of hurt after the finger smash.

Amen to that!

I'm amazed at how much these modestly sized "boxes" weigh. I looked at our Castine last week and though: "How the hell does something so small...weigh as much as my ATV?..."

NICE!!!

Like others have already said, Looking forward to seeing a fire in it.

Kenny

John 3:16

Slow1 said:
Flatbedford said:
Backwoods Savage said:
wendell said:
Backwoods Savage said:

He may be a savage, but at least he's OUR Savage! :)

lol. Thanks guys. I've had a lot of fun with that name for many years now.

So now I guess I'm a gentle Savage with a little nice streak and very strong for an old guy and I belong to all you good people on hearth.com. Not only that, but I get my wife to do most of the work too! lol At least I've been accused of it. She gets a kick out of it all too.

So, the pipe from Wood stock was a little too long and the existing flue wasn't crimped so I had to make some cuts and do some crimping.

IMG_2647.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

Found out that cutting 22 gauge steel is interesting. But now the pipe is together:

IMG_2650.jpg

and painted the trim collar and existing flue to match:

IMG_2651.jpg

Now, just got to double check the alignment, screw it together and put on the heat shields and will be ready to start burning!

Looking good. How's the Mrs's finger?

The point of contact is fine but the joint is still a little achy because she kind of jammed it, too.

Thanks for asking.

Hang on. I'm just waiting for it to warm up a couple degrees so I can open the windows and fire it up. As you know, it is a little nippy out this morning!

wendell said:
Hang on. I'm just waiting for it to warm up a couple degrees so I can open the windows and fire it up. As you know, it is a little nippy out this morning!

Keep that first fire really small and you won't have much if any smoke/smell. Remember that first one is just to dry out the cement, not to cure the paint. Paint curing comes later...

OK, here you go.

We measured and measured but the pipe shield ended up a little askew which I am not very happy about but I'm probably being a little AR.

All done:
IMG_2652.jpg

and, first fire:

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

Looks like I went too small on the first fire. It's already dying out and only got the flue temperature up to 200. I didn't install the damper as I am hoping to get away without it but we will see. I think it may be getting a little too much air.

wendell said:
OK, here you go.

We measured and measured but the pipe shield ended up a little askew which I am not very happy about but I'm probably being a little AR.

Looks like I went too small on the first fire. It's already dying out and only got the flue temperature up to 200. I didn't install the damper as I am hoping to get away without it but we will see. I think it may be getting a little too much air.

Awww.. I can't get to photobucket images from my work :(

Getting too much air? What air setting did you set it to?

Wendell, you did not go too small on that first fire. Actually on the second fire I would not put too much more in there. One or maybe two small splits. Let it burn up and then cool down. The third fire you can add a couple more splits yet. Then you are good to go.

Congratulations!!!

I'm with you on the pipe/pipe shield, that would probably drive me nuts before it was all said and done. Nice looking installation anyway!!!

Kenny

John 3:16

I can't see your pictures so I don't know how your shield lined up... However I can say it was a royal pain getting mine to line up right. I was totally paranoid that it would not be straight. Then there is the fact that it is hard to keep it bent exactly the same as new so it tended to be more flared on the top then the bottom for me so that took a while to straighten out... I don't look forward to having to take the pipe apart to clean as I think I'll have to mess with the shield as well. Oh well, I have a while to worry.

Can't wait to see what the rest are seeing. I'm sure it looks great based on the earlier pictures!

Are you sure it's not just the pipe that is out of plumb? It looks sharp anways.

Slow1 said:
Getting too much air? What air setting did you set it to?

I phrased that poorly. I meant too much draft. I started at 4 and turned it down to 2.

Highbeam said:
Are you sure it's not just the pipe that is out of plumb? It looks sharp anways.

Man, that hurts! Yes, the pipe is plumb. The 90 out the back is angled a couple degrees which looks larger than it is in the picture. Everything else lined up perfectly so I decided to live with that.

I must have been fooled by the tile lines in the background to think the pipe was out of plumb. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings! Trying to think of a way to true it up for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.