My Own Fault

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Things had been going real good today until I went to use the splitter (just used it two days ago and it was fine) I pulled way to many times (no spark) and flooded it so I gave a call to the wife and zoom a new spark plug and we were up and running but by then I was one hour behind, the lesson I learned is I shall change the spark plug yearly.

We had a dusting of snow so I threw on the spikes they use for ice fishing.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2020.jpg
    100_2020.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 660
  • 100_2022.jpg
    100_2022.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 648
  • 100_2023.jpg
    100_2023.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 656
  • 100_2011.jpg
    100_2011.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 679
Ok, I'm willing to show my ignorance here............what are the pair of tools in the bottom photo?

-Soupy1957

soupy1957 said:
Ok, I'm willing to show my ignorance here............what are the pair of tools in the bottom photo?

-Soupy1957

Soupy1957 they are pullover your boots spikes they use when walking on ice, I use them when I cut in the winter and when the frost is in the ground. You put them over your toes on your boot then pull them up over your heel.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2025.jpg
    100_2025.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 612
  • 100_2026.jpg
    100_2026.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 592
Zap- what size is that splitter of yours?

wood-fan-atic said:
Zap- what size is that splitter of yours?

24 ton American CLS, other than today it starts on the second pull in the dead of winter.

zap

With hydro fluid, or ATF in it?

Attachments

• 100_2029.jpg
    100_2029.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 511
Hey Zap, I still have the original plug in our MTD splitter (Briggs & Stratton engine).

Yep same here same plug ten years b&s 98% start one pull 8hp

wood-fan-atic said:
I fussed about that on mine but after reading as much as I could I went with ATF for the low temps, ATF is a much better hydraulic fluid than I realized, the place I bought the splitter did not even know that.

oldspark said:
wood-fan-atic said:
I fussed about that on mine but after reading as much as I could I went with ATF for the low temps, ATF is a much better hydraulic fluid than I realized, the place I bought the splitter did not even know that.

What is the difference between hydro fluid and ATF for your splitter. After finishing the stacking from the wood I split today we decided to push in some wood before the rain and sleet hits so I had to use the splitter I put the plug in yesterday and it took off on the second pull.

zap

Zap- The manual for my Huskee 22 ton states that when splitting in temps of 32 °F or below , to use ATF. It does not state why, but I'm sure it has to do with viscosity charecteristics when the fluids freeze and thicken up. I'd suppose it would (could, I should say) stress the pump a bit more with thick,frozen hydro fluid and could possibly shorten the life of the pump. Just my WAG.

Or you could do like me. I cut wood during the winter (about ready to start now) and do all the splitting in March-April. It works okay for me.

wood-fan-atic said:
Zap- The manual for my Huskee 22 ton states that when splitting in temps of 32 °F or below , to use ATF. It does not state why, but I'm sure it has to do with viscosity charecteristics when the fluids freeze and thicken up. I'd suppose it would (could, I should say) stress the pump a bit more with thick,frozen hydro fluid and could possibly shorten the life of the pump. Just my WAG.

Thanks wood-fan-atic, I'll ask the business that we purchased the splitter from about that.

zap

zapny said:
the lesson I learned is I shall change the spark plug yearly.

The lesson I learned from reading this is to keep an extra spark plug, and a plug wrench, of course, in my tool box. Just in case. Even if you change it once a year, there's always a chance you could flood it. In just a minute you could be running again.

Kenster I had the socket set with the spark plug attachment in the back of the rhino but took it out when I did some work inside then never put it back (lessoned learned) extra spark plugs will be picked up Monday.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.