my pellet choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
I called my dealer and these are the pellets he carries:

NEWP--wasn't the greatest in my stove
Energex--better than my current pellets
Starlight--never tried them
Allegheny --never tried them

He said NEWP will probably drop $20 next month. Energex will probably only drop $5 or $10

Not sure which I should get. All he has right now is NEWP and Energex. I am leaning towards the energex only because I have not tries starlight or allegheny. Or show I buy a ton of each and see what will be best?

chrisasst said:
I called my dealer and these are the pellets he carries:

NEWP--wasn't the greatest in my stove
Energex--better than my current pellets
Starlight--never tried them
Allegheny --never tried them

He said NEWP will probably drop $20 next month. Energex will probably only drop $5 or $10

Not sure which I should get. All he has right now is NEWP and Energex. I am leaning towards the energex only because I have not tries starlight or allegheny. Or show I buy a ton of each and see what will be best?

Would try to get 5 or 10 bags before committing to a ton!

Dont Get NEWP The Ton I just Went Thru Created pancake clinkers every 2 days, no matter what draft setting, I wasnt impressed with the maintenance involved, but the heat output was good.

I dont thnk you'll see a drop in NEWP prices in a month, as their April price is higher than their March price. Clinkers dont bother me much, with my Harman, I just scrape the burnpot every 2-3 days...lets see, thats 5 secs to open the door, 15 secs to scrape, and 5 more seconds to close the door.....25 seconds every 3 days?! Another funny thing is the folks here who actually SCREEN their pellets! talk about labor?! Kinda senseless too......

WOW, I guess I'm lucky. Between last year and this year, I've burn 6 tons and I'm working on my 7th ton of NEWP (Schuyler, NY plant) and haven't had problems with clinkers. Empires are pretty good also. I wouldn't use InstantHeat pellets if they were free (well... maybe if they were free, I definitely wouldn't pay for them).

My top choice is Green Team. I'd burn them forever if I could. I also like the Rocky Mountain Pellets and the LG Granules. I would love to try the Legnetics,but can't seem to find any in Maine. OH well !!! I'll burn what I have.

I burned 3 tons of Energex and they were "FINE." Good heat, but lots of ash, never had clinkers with my Lopi. Have since tried Lignetics and Cubex, for my money they are the best I've tried, not worth the $300 a ton that they are currently at.

I have used and do enjoy the Allegheny pellets. Its a small company and they are still customer oriented. I did get a few bags several years back that had some corn in it (not cornmeal, actual stove corn mixed in).

Just picked up 3 tons of barefoot pellets @ $259.00, from Tri-county Coal, Compared to NEWP, The Barefoot pellets seem smaller in size, hopefully they will put out the heat and I wont be going thru more bags than the NEWP which are a larger pellet, I have never used Barefoot pellets.

BreckP23Newbie said:
Just picked up 3 tons of barefoot pellets @ $259.00, from Tri-county Coal, Compared to NEWP, The Barefoot pellets seem smaller in size, hopefully they will put out the heat and I wont be going thru more bags than the NEWP which are a larger pellet, I have never used Barefoot pellets.
Adjust your feed rate down for the Barefoot pellets

Thanks Gumby1, I will be testing a few bags over the weekend. :coolsmile:

Attachments

• IMG_3071.JPG
    IMG_3071.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_3068.JPG
    IMG_3068.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_3069.JPG
    IMG_3069.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_3063.JPG
    IMG_3063.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 556
BreckP23Newbie you don't really have all of those pellets sitting on the floor inside your house do you?

You had better call a structural engineer to make sure your floors don't collapse!

www_godzilla said:
My top choice is Green Team. I'd burn them forever if I could. I also like the Rocky Mountain Pellets and the LG Granules. I would love to try the Legnetics,but can't seem to find any in Maine. OH well !!! I'll burn what I have.

would like to get more feedback on the Greene Team, a guy local to me has the "Greene Team Gold Premium Plus" at $275/ton and said I'll be happy with them, offered me to buy 3 bags to try first.

Can you share your experience with this brand, fines, dust, ash, burn (hot?), color, size, clinkers et etc etc.

BreckP23Newbie said:
All those pellets are in my finished basement, which is poured concrete, over a pergo floating floor. :cheese:

hey breck, your basement looks like mine a little, I assume yours is a underground basement, if so how's your stove installed? I don't see any pipe going up....

Straight Excel Pipe Installation, No issues with soot on the vinyl siding. Very Easy Maintenance, every ton i sweep it with a laundry vent cleaner that i purchased from walmart. :)

Stove is in my living room.

.....I thought the stove was also in the basement, got confused a bit....

not yet, you got PM.....

BreckP23Newbie said:
All those pellets are in my finished basement, which is poured concrete, over a pergo floating floor. :cheese:
Hey Breck-Why did you pour the concrete over the Pergo? Just kidding!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.