My Pellet Setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Advisor

Jan 13, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Got my pellet set up for the Winter. Bought a pellet furnace (Harman) PF 100. Built a bulk pellet box that holds apx 4 tons. Used 3/4 " & 1/2 inch plywood used 2x2 for framing and reinforced it with 160 ' of 3/8 threaded rod and 60 ' of 1/4 " flatbar & 2 4" female cam lock fittings with dust cap.

The only thing I need is a good impact carpet of some sort to prevent the pellets from shattering when it gets blown in the box. I dont want to use carpet since most is made of polyester.

Any ideas?

Here is a video of the delivery Jan 2017

Attachments

• IMG_0939.JPG
    IMG_0939.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0940.JPG
    IMG_0940.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0941.JPG
    IMG_0941.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0943.JPG
    IMG_0943.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 195
Maybe some mid-grade foam like a neoprene? Maybe even those mats used for standing on concrete floors would have enough cushion. It can't be a light foam, as it would compress and likely hold that compression later.

Nice setup. Something I wish I had or could set up at my place.

Reactions: bostonfan49
Got my pellet set up for the Winter. Bought a pellet furnace (Harman) PF 100. Built a bulk pellet box that holds apx 4 tons. Used 3/4 " & 1/2 inch plywood used 2x2 for framing and reinforced it with 160 ' of 3/8 threaded rod and 60 ' of 1/4 " flatbar & 2 4" female cam lock fittings with dust cap.

The only thing I need is a good impact carpet of some sort to prevent the pellets from shattering when it gets blown in the box. I dont want to use carpet since most is made of polyester.

Any ideas?

How do you stop dust from filling the house as the pellets are blown in?

Those pellets look very dark, what kind are they?

Any ideas?

Maybe some mid-grade foam like a neoprene? Maybe even those mats used for standing on concrete floors would have enough cushion. It can't be a light foam, as it would compress and likely hold that compression later.

Nice setup. Something I wish I had or could set up at my place.
Maybe I am to paranoid! :) I was thinking if I use anything that would have plastic or foam can can chip off over time and melt in the auger. I could be over thinking it.

How do you stop dust from filling the house as the pellets are blown in?

Those pellets look very dark, what kind are they?
I uploaded some pictures of the box. I do have a cover on top & plexy glass windows. The truck who delivers the pellets has 2 hoses 1 to blow the pellets in & the other is a vacuum which sucks the dust out. I fill one side of the box using one hose to fill on one side and the other connection is used for the vacuum and once one side gets full i swap the 2 out.

The pellets I use are from a company called http://www.groupesavoie.com/en/.

They sell lumber but have been making there own pellets from byproduct within the last 5 years.

There wood pellets are a mixed blend of hardwoods (75%) and softwoods (25%). Hardwoods are Maple, Birch and aspen. The softwoods are Spruce and Fir. No additives or fillers are added.

They charge 250.00 CDN a ton delivered. Minimum of 3 tons per order.

Last edited:
Maybe I am to paranoid! :) I was thinking if I use anything that would have plastic or foam can can chip off over time and melt in the auger. I could be over thinking it.

Those pads you put on concrete to stand on and relieve fatigue are quite strong. They are in shop environments and take a beating. I don't think the pellets are any harder on them than what a shop would do to them.

Those pads you put on concrete to stand on and relieve fatigue are quite strong. They are in shop environments and take a beating. I don't think the pellets are any harder on them than what a shop would do to them.
Good idea! & thank you!

I cant see how you have the input line terminated in the hopper. But I would not put any padding inside, I would turn the outlet straight upward and allow the pellets to drop by gravity. That wont do much harm to the pellets. Some may break in two, but no chipping of any degree should take place just falling 4 feet or so, and once there is a layer of pellets, the rest should just fall onto a soft cushion.

Nice job on the hopper bin. Looks well done and has to be a nice thing to have.

I cant see how you have the input line terminated in the hopper. But I would not put any padding inside, I would turn the outlet straight upward and allow the pellets to drop by gravity. That wont do much harm to the pellets. Some may break in two, but no chipping of any degree should take place just falling 4 feet or so, and once there is a layer of pellets, the rest should just fall onto a soft cushion.

Nice job on the hopper bin. Looks well done and has to be a nice thing to have.
That was my first idea by putting the connections on top. But I was told by the company delivering the pellets to put them on the side and have an impact carpet of some sort to cushion the pellets as they enter. The truck blows them in at 3 to 5 PSI if I am not mistaken. I did watch them getting them blown in and they were hitting pretty hard. I had an old sheet strung up in the back with tension on all sides & I think it was doing ok. Guess ill find out once I hit the bottom of the box.
Thanks for the compliment.

Last edited:
You will get a certain amount of fines anyhow regardless due to handling from being loaded and unloaded.

Reactions: Advisor
What about hanging a heavy canvas tarp and letting the pellets hit that? You could weight the bottom of it to keep it hanging down.
Yes another good idea. Good material! Need to find a place that sells it. We use to use it to make a fab tent for welding out in the cold. Ill have to track some down.

Thanks. I like the ideas coming in!

That was my first idea by putting the connections on top. But I was told by the company delivering the pellets to put them on the side and have an impact carpet of some sort to cushion the pellets as they enter. The truck blows them in at 3 to 5 PSI if I am not mistaken. I did watch them getting them blown in and they were hitting pretty hard. I had an old sheet strung up in the back with tension on all sides & I think it was doing ok. Guess ill find out once I hit the bottom of the box.
Thanks for the compliment.

Sorry, I did not explain myself very well. I meant leave your inlet in the side, but put an elbow inside and point it upward. This would get the pellets out of the pipe heading upward, and the velocity is lost in a short distance from exiting the pipe. Then they fall without force behind them. Kinda like a water sprinkler for your lawn that points water upward. The water is forced out of the sprinkler head, but when it cant go up anymore, it falls down with only gravity. If you turn the sprinkler upside down, the water is pressured down and can splash soil away.

Sorry, I did not explain myself very well. I meant leave your inlet in the side, but put an elbow inside and point it upward. This would get the pellets out of the pipe heading upward, and the velocity is lost in a short distance from exiting the pipe. Then they fall without force behind them. Kinda like a water sprinkler for your lawn that points water upward. The water is forced out of the sprinkler head, but when it cant go up anymore, it falls down with only gravity. If you turn the sprinkler upside down, the water is pressured down and can splash soil away.
Hi Advisor, nice set up!!!
I am bulk fill as well. Did the company delivering the Pellets say a thing about Static Electricity? Maybe your setup is different but my supplier wouldn't deliver to me until Ihad everything grounded. Maybe it's just an insurance precaution...? Nice setup though and welcome:cool: Bill

Great idea! The only thing is that my connections are real close to the top I would have no room to put a 90 to throw upwards.

Hi Advisor, nice set up!!!
I am bulk fill as well. Did the company delivering the Pellets say a thing about Static Electricity? Maybe your setup is different but my supplier wouldn't deliver to me until Ihad everything grounded. Maybe it's just an insurance precaution...? Nice setup though and welcome:cool: Bill
They never said anything about static electricity. But it makes sense because sawdust in the air at concentrated lvls can explode. How where you able to ground a wood box? I will ground it even though its not required yet by this company now that you tell me this.

Like your setup Nice clean install ... Look up Dust Collector Cyclone in a search engine. This slows the pellets down by swirling then in a circle and the dust comes out the top and the pellets drop out the bottom...

Like your setup Nice clean install ... Look up Dust Collector Cyclone in a search engine. This slows the pellets down by swirling then in a circle and the dust comes out the top and the pellets drop out the bottom...
Interesting ill check that out! Thanks

Sweet!
How about one of those heavy rubber horse stall mats they sell at the hardware store. I think they're like 6'x4'.

Sweet!
How about one of those heavy rubber horse stall mats they sell at the hardware store. I think they're like 6'x4'.
That could work. Might be hard to find in my small town but I guess with the internet anything is possible. Thanks!

They never said anything about static electricity. But it makes sense because sawdust in the air at concentrated lvls can explode. How where you able to ground a wood box? I will ground it even though its not required yet by this company now that you tell me this.
I was thinking about that for a bit. I guess I would have to ground my 2 connectors and the vac truck would have to ground his truck. He uses rubber or plastic hoses so not sure how that would work.

That could work. Might be hard to find in my small town but I guess with the internet anything is possible. Thanks!
It was an Ace Hardware, don't know if they're up there. It's a rural kind of thing. I was thinking of using in a pickup bed.

It was an Ace Hardware, don't know if they're up there. It's a rural kind of thing. I was thinking of using in a pickup bed.
When you get it installed post the picture here if u get the chance! I have untill next year since the box is already full for the year. Getting lots of good ideas!