My pellet stove is an over achiever in my mind.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Doty

Burning Hunk
I wish I had a video walk through of my house layout as I am heating a 1920 sq.' two story town house entirely from my Pellet stove located in a sun room that was added on to the structure and only connected by the exterior doorway that used to go out onto the old porch. Shouldn't be possible. The sun room where the stove is, is a 20x16 with a high lean too type ceiling that tapers from 8' to 14' and has 10 floor to ceiling windows and (3) 24" X 48" sky lights that just allow heat to blow through the walls !! and still I can heat the whole house at 10 degrees last night. I am amazed. !!! I really feel like this thing is over achieving and it has blown away my original expectations of just turning the base board heaters off in the sun room and being able to see a little fire and feel some direct heat. Only been heating with this stove since Sat. night at 8:00 30 degrees or so, and just got real cold Monday night 10 degrees, but I have only used 4 bags of pellets in the first 60 hours of run time. Too good to be true.

I feel the same way! We are heating 2200 sq ft with our Harman insert to 72 degrees with no issues. The basement is finished and below ground so its chilly down there but we have an infrared space heater for when we decide to go down there and it works great. I was also pleased when I opened my electric bill to see $99. WHAT!?! Last winter we averaged $300 with a high of $450 in February and that was keeping the house at 64. I don't even want to know what it would have been trying to keep it at the temp that the pellet stove can.

I feel the same way! We are heating 2200 sq ft with our Harman insert to 72 degrees with no issues. The basement is finished and below ground so its chilly down there but we have an infrared space heater for when we decide to go down there and it works great. I was also pleased when I opened my electric bill to see $99. WHAT!?! Last winter we averaged $300 with a high of $450 in February and that was keeping the house at 64. I don't even want to know what it would have been trying to keep it at the temp that the pellet stove can.
WOW! Please share your air moving tips!

My pellet stove is also surprising me. I am heating 2300 sq. ft. I have a 2 story pretty open layout home with cathedral ceiling in front of home opened to the second floor. I've been able to keep the front of my home 71 and the upstairs bedroom farthest away at 67. I was afraid cathedral ceiling would hurt me but I actually think it is helping me get heat to the second floor. The back of my home, family rm./kitchen, where the stove is located, temp running around 75. I am going through about 2 bags a day. Pretty cold last night, 17, today high 23. Wasn't sure how it would be today but same results.

I too feel like I have a real over-achiever of a pellet stove. Mine is a 20 year old Winrich Dynasty. It's a bit of a pain to operate (manual ignition, one speed combustion blower which requires major damper tweaking any time you change fuel flow) but it's heating my 2,100sqft. house (includes finished portion of basement) from the 572sqft finished portion of my basement. I have a nice big open stairway from the basement upstairs with a ceiling fan adding some up draft right over the stair way and a pair of fans to push air towards the sides of the house, and it's easily maintaining 73*F in the central rooms and at least 68*F in the side rooms. I'm only running it at about 40% feed capacity too and it's <20*F - I can drive up the temps quick if I push it up to 80% fuel. So a bag and a half a day, less than $10, is keeping the entire place warm. Seems like as long as you engineer your air handling decently you can get everything you need from one device.

I'm almost sad to see it go - I ordered a factory second Timber Ridge 55-TRPAH from AMFM yesterday. I really wanted something I can throttle without all the damper tuning, and the PAH will work on a thermostat. It's got auto-ignition and a 120lb hopper so that I can spend less time messing with it. I was thinking about saving the old Dynasty for the garage, but apparently that's not up to code so it'll probably be on craigslist soon. It'd be an awesome shop heater for somebody that doesn't mind watching it a bit while they're working.

WOW! Please share your air moving tips!
No real tips. I think the combo of a semi-high BTU stove, well insulated, open concept house help retain the heat that is being put out. The one thing we have is a ceiling fan in the living room where the stove is running on low in reverse mode 24/7.

Reactions: zrtmatos
No real tips. I think the combo of a semi-high BTU stove, well insulated, open concept house help retain the heat that is being put out. The one thing we have is a ceiling fan in the living room where the stove is running on low in reverse mode 24/7.
Have the fans. Blow up or down???

Have the fans. Blow up or down???
We have ours blowing in reverse or up toward the ceiling on the lowest setting to keep the air moving. Our stair case to the 2nd floor is centrally located and our master bedroom is at the top of the stairs with French doors. We open both doors of the bedroom and close all other doors that are not used.

We have ours blowing in reverse or up toward the ceiling on the lowest setting to keep the air moving. Our stair case to the 2nd floor is centrally located and our master bedroom is at the top of the stairs with French doors. We open both doors of the bedroom and close all other doors that are not used.
Thanks. Will reverse mine and see what happens.

It pains me to read of all your large spaces being heated by 1 stove. My Harman can keep the basement (about 650 sq/ft at 80 and 3 rooms of the 950 sq/ft on the main floor at 68 (or 64 if it is really cold and windy). the bedrooms (farthest rooms, and over unheated garage) would stay at 62 (or down to 52 if really cold/windy). Had to get a second stove for the main floor to get the bedrooms warm. With the second stove going the living room is 80 and bedroom 68-69. Of course the stove downstairs isn't working very hard now since all the heat it produces stays downstairs.

But the point is that I am extremely jealous of y'all!

Same here....just amazed...ran the stove all night on 1-1, woke to a warm 24.5C in the mid-level living room, basement rec room where the stove is located was 28C, and the third floor bedrooms right around 20C....while its -4C outside. Did not expect that type of efficiency out of the basic 25pdvc, but I think I got lucky with the house design :)

I feel the same about our new install! We originally got our Quad Mt Vernon thinking we'd have some fire for ambiance and a bit of warmth. It's been down in the teens the last couple of days and I'm pleased to say we've been heating our entire 2,000 sq ft cape using just the stove! Since we have electric heat pumps, it was very soothing to go to sleep last night and know the auxiliary heat wasn't going to kick on (which is like lighting dollar bills on fire). We've been able to keep it around 72 during the day and around 65 at night. Very comfortable.

P68 heating 3000 sqf from the basement. Open ranch style home. 75F in basement and about 73F on main level.

Trick for me was a ceiling fan at the top of the stairs blowing cold air down into the basement where it is heated and circulated via hvac fan. I've measured the heat coming up the stairs and it's 5 to 6 degrees warmer than the main level at times.

Using about 1.5 to 2 bags per day. Received my propane bill for the month and it was 90 dollars with tax. I had to laugh. That's just for hot water usage.

But it's still early yet. Waiting for those -40 days.

Turned the stove to 3 last night before leaving for my pool league... came home around 10:30 to find it at 22.4C... yikes turned it down to 2 and went to bed. Woke up to 20C on the main floor and 23C in the basement heating 3100 sq/ft at -15C and -21C wind chill last night... keep it up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.