My pile o' junk & land clearing pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane N

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2012
West Central MN
I was out on my land this last weekend working on more clearing for building a house. Knocked over another dozen poplars and cut them up into 8ft sections with the help of my father.

Here is a picture of my current pile o' junk logs (99% poplar):
2012-10-20_17-36-49_608.jpg
(yes, I know I need to get them off the ground ASAP :) ) The bottom dozen or so were just limbed and stacked. The rest are cut into 8ft sections. I'm guessing I have 3 cords worth of poplar. That'll give me at least a week's worth of heat right? ==c

Here is a picture of the area I'm slowly clearing out, along with my slash pile that is waiting for a few inches of snow to burn:
2012-10-20_17-37-35_559.jpg

man that second pic looks like a good place to sit and wait for a nice buck to walk thru

Reactions: Taylor Sutherland
man that second pic looks like a good place to sit and wait for a nice buck to walk thru

Hah, that's a good idea. It's probably the biggest open spot on the entire 160. We've been shooting down old logging lanes the last few years.

Great job Shane! It's the majority of what we have around here too Poplar, Aspen etc. It does burn though...... for about a week (3 cord) And that wonderful waxy feeling on your hands when you handle it. Weed tree.

TS

Great job Shane! It's the majority of what we have around here too Poplar, Aspen etc. It does burn though...... for about a week (3 cord) And that wonderful waxy feeling on your hands when you handle it. Weed tree.

TS

Yeah, these things are obnoxious. When the timber company last cleared the land, they left it as is and poplars took over. I don't have any issue chopping down any of them.

Thats the way around here too. Quite a few old potato feilds and cleared land was left to grow up, and poplar.....garbage.... they usuallt break off in 20 years and some diecent wood can take over. A forester once told me if the landowner cuts the timber off the land and poplar comes back the forester screwed up. Now his land is almost worthless, needs to be cleared again and something planted so the Aspen won't take over again.

TS

Well let's see popple takes about 2 years to dry and 2.01 years to rot so you should...
1) buy a keg
2) buy 2 gals. of k-1 and
3) HAVE A PARTY!

Well let's see popple takes about 2 years to dry and 2.01 years to rot so you should...
1) buy a keg
2) buy 2 gals. of k-1 and
3) HAVE A PARTY!

Party at my place? I'm in! ::-)

On a more serious note, does it really rot pretty quickly? If I get it elevated and covered on top, how long would it be good? I need to know if it is even worth C/S/S'ing it.

I dont know exactly I've seen some take forever to dry and some dry and get punky in under 2 years, it may depend on the species of poplar/aspen but we do have 5 or 6 kinds in Me.

On a more serious note, does it really rot pretty quickly? If I get it elevated and covered on top, how long would it be good? I need to know if it is even worth C/S/S'ing it.

CSS'd it should last quite a few years. Top cover. You have years worth of shoulder season wood.
No travel time or gas $$.
Take your time thru the winter & into next spring & have fun bucking & splitting. Good relaxation & exercise. ;)

Reactions: PapaDave

No, it does not need to rot quicky but will if it is not stacked off the ground. Get it split and stacked and it will keep at least 5 years.

Reactions: Shane N
as long as it is c/s/s before spring you will be fine

Phew, that is a relief. If it really was pure garbage right from the get-go, you'd be seeing it on the slash pile instead of limbed and in sections :)

All wood burns. If it's c/s/s and off the ground it will dry and burn much better period. I burn aspen, as there are a lot of blowdowns here in Me, but I'm not going to travel far for it, makes your saw feel like it's about 100cc 'cause it cuts like buttah'

TS

Reactions: milleo
All wood burns. If it's c/s/s and off the ground it will dry and burn much better period. I burn aspen, as there are a lot of blowdowns here in Me, but I'm not going to travel far for it, makes your saw feel like it's about 100cc 'cause it cuts like buttah'

TS

That makes me feel better. Thanks :)

Looks like we'll be below freezing almost all day pretty soon so my days of knocking over trees and digging up stumps is going to come to a halt. Time to C/S/S :)

nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.