My plan for more comfortable temps..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TTigano

Jan 19, 2012
Southeastern, Ma
This being my second season learning the wood burning secrets I've figured some things out about my stove that will help me conserve wood and get more comfortable temps in the house..... This next week I will attack the very poorly insulated areas of my attic and living areas and button them up. Also, my stove does give off great heat however most goes right upstairs before going out of the stoveroom and to the other end of the house. If I put the insert fan on high I get much more heat staying downstairs and a more even temp through the house. I am also really enjoying the new canawick bricks I purchased that throw some SERIOUS heat. I've been learning a lot as I go here. I was always trying to get the longest burn possible while trying to get a drafty older house with a horrible floor plan heated.... Just can't happen. My hopes are to get this place a little better insulated so that I can raise the temps up with a small load then load the stove up and turn it down to cruise and maintain those temps....probably how I should have been thinking if it before but like they say....you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.

Where did you get the canawick bricks in Mass?

Bought them in Brockton at Eastern Ice. Just the way they are packaged you can tell they are high quality.

This being my second season learning the wood burning secrets I've figured some things out about my stove that will help me conserve wood and get more comfortable temps in the house..... This next week I will attack the very poorly insulated areas of my attic and living areas and button them up. Also, my stove does give off great heat however most goes right upstairs before going out of the stoveroom and to the other end of the house. If I put the insert fan on high I get much more heat staying downstairs and a more even temp through the house. I am also really enjoying the new canawick bricks I purchased that throw some SERIOUS heat. I've been learning a lot as I go here. I was always trying to get the longest burn possible while trying to get a drafty older house with a horrible floor plan heated.... Just can't happen. My hopes are to get this place a little better insulated so that I can raise the temps up with a small load then load the stove up and turn it down to cruise and maintain those temps....probably how I should have been thinking if it before but like they say....you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.
a little more than just lighting a fire,eh. glad the bricks are working out for you,costly but not bad if your in the wood buying crowd.

I'm having the same problem with air flow, as in too much of it. I guess I should be happy that I can get the heat upstairs where I want it, but the flow of cold air into the basement living room makes it a bit chilly if you are in it's path.

Status
Not open for further replies.