My plan for this season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleetussnow

Oct 3, 2012
Westchester, ny
Hello all

Burn season is here. Last year i burned a myriad of pellets, and have narrowed the strategy down.

Last year I loaded up with about 3.5 tons of pellets, and burned a total of 5 all season. My local HD is about 3/4 of a mile away. They carried gs, chow, and some north american or something brand that worked well. No more gs for me. Not enough heat when push comes to shove. Chow was hot and clean enough.

The were stocked up all winter until mid feb or so with chow last year. They were and are still 209 a ton.

My plan is to only hoard about a ton and a half at a time, since i can go get them anytime i want, and its a peice of cake with a teenager and an eager 8 year old to load and stack. More room in the garage. Chows Is what they are carrying again this year.

I wont rely on them though. I will go grab a ton or so of country white lightening in decemeber for the extra cold nights. Those things are unreal! But they are 300 per ton.

So with a five ton season, i do it for about 1140 bucks. We burn like mad and keep a hot house - gets the wife through winter.

The only flaw in your plan is the possibility of a really cold & snowy winter, as many are predicting. If that does happen, there may be a big run on pellets, and you could be looking at empty stores when you need to buy.

You already know you'll need at least 3-4 tons minimum, based on last winter. Unless you have a storage issue, I'd be getting 5 tons now. You could always store the extra outdoors with a good tarp over them.

4 tons of Chow, 1 of the "hot" ones, IMO.

Yea i know i am running that risk. But i can always call an audible in january or whatever and jack the garage full again.

Winter could go either way still! Last winter was LONG. We burned until and of april.

Hello all

Burn season is here. Last year i burned a myriad of pellets, and have narrowed the strategy down.

Last year I loaded up with about 3.5 tons of pellets, and burned a total of 5 all season. My local HD is about 3/4 of a mile away. They carried gs, chow, and some north american or something brand that worked well. No more gs for me. Not enough heat when push comes to shove. Chow was hot and clean enough.

The were stocked up all winter until mid feb or so with chow last year. They were and are still 209 a ton.

My plan is to only hoard about a ton and a half at a time, since i can go get them anytime i want, and its a peice of cake with a teenager and an eager 8 year old to load and stack. More room in the garage. Chows Is what they are carrying again this year.

I wont rely on them though. I will go grab a ton or so of country white lightening in decemeber for the extra cold nights. Those things are unreal! But they are 300 per ton.

So with a five ton season, i do it for about 1140 bucks. We burn like mad and keep a hot house - gets the wife through winter.
Are those white lightening pellets hard wood or soft wood ? Ii'v never herd of them

Hello all

I wont rely on them though.

Never rely on the box store IMHO. Just when you find a brand you like, They go stocking something else. Always have a back up plan and JIC a back up for the back up plan! ;)

Example, I had good luck with Timber heat from Lowes(primary) and PTL's from HD(back up plan). This season neither has either brand. I'm looking for the a whole new plan! ;em

Are those white lightening pellets hard wood or soft wood ? Ii'v never herd of them

Hardwood, 100% oak. Brand name is Country Boy.

http://countryboypellets.com/50-BAG...Wood-Pellet-Fuel-40lbs-ea-WLP40lb-x-50BAG.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.