My point is how well do they draft on marginal chimneys.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

This is a question every dealer deals with no matter what stove he sells.
One he has to qualify the current draft chimney setup.
We all know vertical length and restrictive elbows pose draft problems
We also know cross-sectional issues and exterior exposure restrict draft and creates conditions that are not easilly over come.

the normal suggestion is to reduce the existing area with a liner next we suggest insulating the liner,

but then we have owners that want to install in basements below the neural pressure plain which all of the above suggestions may not be enough to get it to draft enough

then there is the extremely tight constructed home.

then there are compeating appliances reducing the available combustion air.

I think this is a very differcult question that I would all manufactures would hedge on

For me, im talking about the industry as a whole. It seems now that stove manufactures are working to get the cleanist stove possible to gain more market share. I wonder how this will effect the retailers that will have to deal with super sensitive stoves. I think the most impressive numbers i saw were the non cat VC defient. I have never seen a stove of its size come out with epa numbers like it did. (.75)
I did get a definitve answer on chimney hight from VC, and they said absolute minimum was 16'. Most stoves on the market come in between 12-14'. So this new technology has its concequences, but its exciting as a dealerto see change and to have somehting new to sell. I will sell it causiously.
There has to be a cap on the currnet technology. Eventually if you can get it to burn .07 GPH or so, you going to have to have a power induced draft. You cant have your cake and eat it too, as long as woodstoves remain a gravity draft appliance.
The proof will be told in hearth.com. Next year as VC gains more market share, more people will be buying them. Hopefull we see nothing but praise from these owners. We will have to be sure and ask what the chimney is like on the new VC stove threads. Its going to be a exciting year.

So EPA is testing with 15, but VC says 16 is minimum

It all comes out in the wash, because if a dealer does not like a stove, he or she will not push it - the best dealers usually burn their popular models in the showroom or at home. Also, it is to a dealers advantage to sell a stove which works well over a variety of set-ups....not just with perfect wood, chimney and operators. That is why we sold 20X or more as many Avalon inserts as WinterWarms.

As far as judging the stoves, it can be tough. In the "real" world, small mods are often made at the factories which make the delivered stove different from the EPA tested unit. Or, if more major mods are needed, the manufacturer will retest but may very well not change their lit or catalog for many months or even years.

So I agree with Elk that splitting hairs is silly. What matters is user experience and that will be told in the stories here and in the ratings section.

Status
Not open for further replies.