My Poor Woods = So Much Work = So Much Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waulie

Minister of Fire
Aug 31, 2011
Nothern Lower Michigan
CIMG2248.JPG So, the heavy, wet snow we got took a real toll on the beech trees. What do think? Will this one make it? 30" dbh.

CIMG2249.JPG These are the limbs from the tree above. I've been cutting up tons of the fallen limbs. It's been a lot of work for only a cord of firewood.

CIMG2250.JPG I'm thinking this one is a goner. Also 30" dbh.
CIMG2251.JPG Damn bugs! I have 25 large, dead ash from the ash borer. This one is also 30" dbh and very, very straight with no branches until the top. Most of them are. This is some easy firewood, but sad to see them all go.

CIMG2252.JPG Just some more storm damage. My woods is a little scary right now with all the hanging limbs. Not sure what to do about it, though.

CIMG2253.JPG This tree looks great and suffered no damage. Just think it's crazy how it grew out and then straight up. I haven't measured it, but it is a very large beech.

Thanks for checking our my woods! I hope I got the thumbnails and text put in properly.

Edit: Maybe I should have left the pics larger (there coming up pretty small for me). I'll get it right next time!

Reactions: Realstone
How much snow did you get Waulie?

I hear you on the ash borer. It hurts. On the beech, I've seen that growth happen a lot.

How much snow did you get Waulie?

I hear you on the ash borer. It hurts. On the beech, I've seen that growth happen a lot.[/quote

That snow was from what, a month ago? We got 20" of really heavy, wet snow in like 12 hours. We got snowed in and lost power for a couple days. Some folks in the county didn't have power for almost a week! My lot actually faired better than some of the neighboring ones. I saw a huge, healthy, straight sugar maple that completely snapped about 20 feet up. That takes a lot of weight!

Edit: Quote fail. Still gettting used to the new forum.

Well for sure 20" of heavy wet snow will take down lots of limbs and whole trees.

Go ahead and thin out the damaged ones which leaves more moisture and nutrients for healthy trees. My property could use some of that TLC but I have my hands full just cleaning up storm damage before it rots. Now, they're saying the Ash Borer is almost here... :(

Go ahead and thin out the damaged ones which leaves more moisture and nutrients for healthy trees. My property could use some of that TLC but I have my hands full just cleaning up storm damage before it rots. Now, they're saying the Ash Borer is almost here... :(

Yeah, I'm pretty sure about every ash on the continent is doomed.

We've got the beech bark disease slowly spreading through Michigan now, so I probably shouldn't worry about whether the storm damaged ones will survive or not. Their days are numbered too.

Waulie, that is terrible about the beech dieing. A fellow from Newago told me all the beech are dead in that area.

Nice pictures Waulie, take the trees you feel safe doing and the hung up branches are a tough call, I usually let mother nature take care of them.
zap

Status
Not open for further replies.