My project for the next year or two...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasufel

Feeling the Heat
Nov 8, 2015
Northern Virginia
I had a couple dozen hardwood trees dropped on my retirement lot in western NC so now I've got a lot of bucking, splitting, and stacking to do. I've got about three years to go but I wanted to get a head start on the firewood so it'll be nicely seasoned when I move in. Unfortunately it's about an eight hour drive from here and I'll have only brief opportunities to work there, so I guess I've got my work cut out for me. Between the brambles and the poison ivy I may decide to hold off until the leaves come down this fall. At least there's a good slope and big stretches of trunks are up in the air so they shouldn't rot away too quickly...

nctrees1.jpg nctrees2.jpg

That's an awesome view
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to moving there. Off camera to the left there's a view that goes well into South Carolina. A great place to scout out scrounging opportunities with my telescope if I ever run out of wood! ;)

The environment is different than what I'm used to in northern VA because it's farther south and gets more rain because of the elevation. From what I can tell by counting rings, trees grow much faster down there. One of the first trees cut down is a red oak that's about 20" diameter--about the size of the ones I have up here. It had huge rings, though, and turned out to be only about 50 years old, compared to 100+ years for ones that size up here. The mountain had been logged so none of the trees there are very old. Looks like basically the same mix of oak, tulip poplar, and maple that I'm used to...

Reactions: D8Chumley
Cool. I live way back in Robbinsville.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
That's a beautiful area! I'm looking forward to having a lot more time to explore that part of the state.

Early spring or late fall camping expedition since it is a far travel time. I'd say summer but heat and bugs might be a huge disadvantage for that endeavor.;)

Reactions: Hasufel
Status
Not open for further replies.