My Project is Complete! Kozy Heat Z42CD install.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_dude

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Southern WI
I found this website about 6 months ago when I was looking to replace a cheap Majestic fireplace with a high efficiency unit. After a lot of research and some help from this site, I made a decision. Well, now that the job is done, I thought I would share some pictures of the final product.

I ended up going with a Kozy Heat Z42CD mainly because it was the only fireplace I could find that did not require my mantle to me moved. It was also the closest to the old Majestic in size so required the least amount of stonework to be removed. Even though my house is only a year old (it was a spec home - thus the cheap fireplace), I was unable to locate the split face stone they used in the original construction. I had to have them save the stone they removed, clean it, and reuse it.

I only have two small issues that you may notice in the pictures: 1. The new mortar dried quite a bit lighter than the existing. I of course got a great idea from this site on how to make it darker, but I haven't gotten to it yet. 2. A couple of the stones got chipped when they removed them, so I need to touch them up a bit.

Other than that, I am very happy with the fireplace. Now, it just needs to get cold so I can try it out!

Attachments

• newFireplace1.JPG
    newFireplace1.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,830
Part of my fuel. My wife and I cut and split all of this this spring. We added another 1.5 - 2 cords after this picture.

Attachments

• fuel.JPG
    fuel.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,603
Very nice installation. And wood stacks too. Be patient because it will get cold soon enough.

Looks great. I don't know if your wood will be completely seasoned, but it looks like you'll have plenty to get you through a winter or three! :)

I do have almost 1 cord that was cut and split last summer - I will use that first. Also, the trees were all dropped last summer and cut into 10 - 12 foot sections. Then this spring, we cut and split those. I don't have any open areas for my wood to get a lot of sun and wind, but I will burn what I got, cause that's all I can do!

You rock dude, my folks have the same thing in Northern Michigan, works very well, but sometimes hard to control. They burn all white birch and its very dry so that might have something to do with it. looks good

the_dude said:
I do have almost 1 cord that was cut and split last summer - I will use that first. Also, the trees were all dropped last summer and cut into 10 - 12 foot sections. Then this spring, we cut and split those. I don't have any open areas for my wood to get a lot of sun and wind, but I will burn what I got, cause that's all I can do!

That stove and that wood are gonna burn just fine. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

And since without the blower running you aren't gonna put out overwhelming heat, pick a cool night, put batteries in the camera and light that sucker up!

Looking great Dude. Fire her up and get the curing stink out now while you can still open your windows.

Nice, very nice!!! The sickness begins!!!

Turned out beautifully, dude. Rick

That's a spectacular setting for the stove dude, you've done well. This is the first time I've really looked at this heater. It's quite attractive. Be sure to drop back with a posting about how it performs for you.

Righteous wood stacks too! What species of wood will you be burning?

BeGreen said:
That's a spectacular setting for the stove dude, you've done well. This is the first time I've really looked at this heater. It's quite attractive. Be sure to drop back with a posting about how it performs for you.

Righteous wood stacks too! What species of wood will you be burning?

I would say 70% of the wood is elm, white oak, red maple, sugar maple, and ash - all pretty decent stuff. The remaining 30% is Basswood, which is pretty low on the BTU meter. We needed to drop around 40 - 50 trees just to put in a yard, and we still have a very modest yard. I have a total of 10 acres, 9.5 are heavily wooded. Plenty of windblowns to keep me burning for years and years! That is what made the decision to put in a high efficiency a no brainer. Besides the 8 or so cord I have split and stacked, I still have about 3 - 4 cord in 10 - 12 foot sections that I will cut and split next spring.

The sickness has indeed begun - and I like it!

Another stone hearth.
Neato.
Even if it's veneer stone it's nice.

lol i read the whole thread and could figure out why all of a sudden everyone sounded like they were from San Diego.... then I realized the posters name was in fact dude LOL

Dude.. nice set up and stack... warm wishes

I just checked the weather, and it is supposed to get down to 57 tonight, which is pretty cool for early August. I think it is time for my first curing fire! It'll be short and sweet, but I will snap some pics of her in action.

We have ignition in 3...2...1...

Makes me feel warm all over just looking at it. Oh wait, I am warm all over...looks just great anyway, dude! Rick

Very, very nice !!!

Nice 1st fire !!!!!!

How do you feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.