My Quadra-Fire Castile Build Thread - Finished!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonD

Dec 22, 2010
Wallingford, CT
I've got my Quadra-Fire Castile and 3.3 tons of pellets delivered and ready to go once I finish the install. This is my first year with pellet heat. Up until now I was 100% oil and forced hot air heat. I know it's not nearly as bad as you propane guys but still I'm tired of the $2,000 per year for oil just to not freeze and still not ever really be warm. My hot water heater is oil fired so I'll still need some oil for that.

I bought 3 different super premium pellets (1 ton Barefoot, 1 ton Turman’s and 1.3 ton Okanagan) because I want to do some testing and being my first year I didn't want to get a bad impression of pellets if I tried cheaper big box pellets and didn't like them. I had them delivered and put up on my covered porch just outside from where the stove will be so they will be within easy reach.

I'm doing my own install and am currently building a hearth pad using left over tile from my kitchen area from when we had the house built so it will tie in nicely. I had started posting in another thread but rather than hijack his thread I thought I'd start my own build thread.

There will be plenty of pictures and being an engineer I plan to have some fun with the testing I plan to do.

The first pictures are of the porch before the pellets arrived, my first 3.3 ton pellet delivery, the corner where the stove is going and the plans I made for a hearth pad. The pad is big enough for a Mt. Vernon if I ever want to upgrade.

I'm working on the hearth pad this weekend. Did the plywood base, thin set and cement backer board today and will be doing the tile tomorrow. I should have everything up and running next weekend. I will be venting the stove straight out and then up the outside wall and then across the porch ceiling and venting just past the gutter. If it doesn't work out I can always re-do the vent and go straight up through the porch roof and vent above the second floor roof by mostly reusing the current vent pipe. I'm using Simpson Dura Vent Pro vent pipe.

My short list of things to get includes an ash vac, remote thermostat, surge suppressor and battery back up/inverter.

Attachments

• Before the Pellets Arrived.jpg
    Before the Pellets Arrived.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,143
  • First 3.3 Tons Of Pellets.jpg
    First 3.3 Tons Of Pellets.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,167
  • Future Home Of Pellet Stove.jpg
    Future Home Of Pellet Stove.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,131
  • Hearth Pad Plans.jpg
    Hearth Pad Plans.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,212
Looking good! Keep us updated.

Good choice on buying premium/high quality pellets the first year so you don't get a sour taste.

I'm just about to install my second stove on the side of the house that is currently heated by oil, and I agree with you entirely that we paid WAY too much AND we weren't really comfortable. Both the wife and I are excited to have the second stove this winter so we don't have to wear down jackets indoors.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm already thinking of a second stove and maybe a pellet furnace some year down the road. :coolsmile:

Today's progress: Plywood and cement backer board. The strips around the edge are temporary during the tiling and will be replaced with some hardwood trim later. The last picture shows the Quadra-Fire Castile waiting to go in.

Attachments

• Hearth Pad - Plywood.jpg
    Hearth Pad - Plywood.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,482
  • Hearth Pad - Cement Backer Board.jpg
    Hearth Pad - Cement Backer Board.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 3,322
  • Quadra-Fire Castile Waiting To Go In.jpg
    Quadra-Fire Castile Waiting To Go In.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,100
Looking good so far, The quad is going to look sweet in that corner. Once we see fire you can add below to your sig!

“Proud member of the Pellet Pig Club†OINK OINK!!
“You pellet pigs should be ashaimed of yourselvesâ€-eernest4-Grand Poobah-Pellet Pig Club

Your probably going to get some concern with the curtains so close though.

I really like your porch, it's BIG... you're going to really enjoy that Castile stove, and you wont have far to go to bring the pellets in..

j-takeman - looking forward to the day when I will be a proud member of the Pellet Pig Club. Who is that gets the beer, err, dues? :) Yeah, not sure what we are going to do about the curtains. Certainly they'll have to be moved, removed, raised or something.

Nicholas440 - the porch really is what made us go with this particular set of house plans when we had the house built. Just needs some ceiling fans (next year).

You can't see it but there is a door from the room with the stove right out to the porch just to the right of the pallet of Turman’s in the white plastic wrap. It will be real easy to grab a bag or two. I can't say I'm 100% sure it's not too much weight for the porch but my calculations show I'm within published hanger limits but that assumes the builder didn't screw it up. I think it'll be OK. It's just too handy to have the pellets right there rather than in the basement or garage.

The place where I bought them did a great job and brought a pallet jack so he could set the pallets on the front of the porch one at a time and then I got the fully wrapped pallet in place with the pallet jack while he got the next one. I couldn't have asked for a better delivery. It was pouring rain so I'm really glad we got the whole wrapped sealed pallets in place without having to carry or stack a single bag.

DonD said:
j-takeman - looking forward to the day when I will be a proud member of the Pellet Pig Club. Who is that gets the beer, err, dues? :) Yeah, not sure what we are going to do about the curtains. Certainly they'll have to be moved, removed, raised or something.

Nicholas440 - the porch really is what made us go with this particular set of house plans when we had the house built. Just needs some ceiling fans (next year).

You can't see it but there is a door from the room with the stove right out to the porch just to the right of the pallet of Turman’s in the white plastic wrap. It will be real easy to grab a bag or two. I can't say I'm 100% sure it's not too much weight for the porch but my calculations show I'm within published hanger limits but that assumes the builder didn't screw it up. I think it'll be OK. It's just too handy to have the pellets right there rather than in the basement or garage.

The place where I bought them did a great job and brought a pallet jack so he could set the pallets on the front of the porch one at a time and then I got the fully wrapped pallet in place with the pallet jack while he got the next one. I couldn't have asked for a better delivery. It was pouring rain so I'm really glad we got the whole wrapped sealed pallets in place without having to carry or stack a single bag.

1st thing... J-takeman just initiated you... You are a Proud member of the pellet Pig club (Over 3 ton before the 1st frost).. Dont look forward to the day... Today is your day. Your just a little Pig, but a Pig none the less. Oink. Oink.....

2nd... Looks awesome.. You are gonna love Pellet heat. Beware, its addicting...

3rd.. How in ther He!!, did you get whokle tons on your porch?? Did they drive the tow motor/fork lift up there??

4th, and what should have been 1st..... Welcome to the Forums. your gonna love it.

DexterDay said:
3rd.. How in ther He!!, did you get whokle tons on your porch?? Did they drive the tow motor/fork lift up there??......

I was wondering the same thing!

Welcome to the insanity.... :lol:

Oink!

DexterDay said:
DonD said:

1st thing... J-takeman just initiated you... You are a Proud member of the pellet Pig club (Over 3 ton before the 1st frost).. Dont look forward to the day... Today is your day. Your just a little Pig, but a Pig none the less. Oink. Oink.....

2nd... Looks awesome.. You are gonna love Pellet heat. Beware, its addicting...

3rd.. How in ther He!!, did you get whokle tons on your porch?? Did they drive the tow motor/fork lift up there??

4th, and what should have been 1st..... Welcome to the Forums. your gonna love it.

Thanks man! I appreciate it!

The delivery guys were great. He brought a smaller electric pallet truck and then used the bigger fork lift to put it on the porch first, to the left of the steps up. Then he used the fork lift to load a ton right onto the porch and I used the side holes in the pallet to lift the pallet and drive it down the front of the porch and around the corner while he got the next ton, and then we repeated until done.

Like I said before, it was pouring rain so I'm real happy it worked out and that I got 3.3 tons exactly where I wanted them without having to lift and stack a single bag. The front lawn took a bit of a hit with all the rain but that was a small price to pay.

It was kind of funny as I had never used an electric pallet truck before but managed to get the pallets in place and not cause any harm to the house or myself.

Attachments

• Muddy Tracks.jpg
    Muddy Tracks.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 897
  • lbw150167S.jpg
    lbw150167S.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 838
AZ Pellet Guy said:
Great looking stove we love ours same as yours
Yeah, we went to the dealer expecting to buy a Harman but when we saw the Castile in the porcelain mahogany finish we had a re-think. It's in the living room and we loved the look compared to a black stove.

More pictures...

Got the tile done Monday, let it cure for a few days and doing the grout today. I should get the stove in place later today and do the vent pipe tomorrow and hopefully light 'er tomorrow night.

Attachments

• Tiles Dry Fit.jpg
    Tiles Dry Fit.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 874
  • Tiles Thin Set In Place.jpg
    Tiles Thin Set In Place.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 880
Think your going to have to do something about those curtains...

reserved for future installation pictures

reserved for future installation pictures II

reserved for future installation pictures III

reserved for future installation pictures IV

Except for some hardwood trim around the hearth, the stove installation is finished! I installed the vent pipe yesterday and fired 'er up for the first time last night. It was a huge success!!

Apologies for the lack of installation pictures but they will be coming later. I got a little lazy in updating the thread but reserved a few posts so I can fill in the rest of the installation pictures later.

For now, here's a couple of pictures from the first fire last night. What you don't see is me sitting back sippin' on a couple of brews and relaxing after a couple of weeks of doing the tiled hearth and installation. The installation seemed to take forever!

The stove fired up fine the first time. I just had to hit the reset button a couple of times, as suggested by the manual, to prime the pellet feed auger. It smoked for an hour or so while the paint cured, etc. but it wasn't nearly as bad as I though it would be.

[EDIT: I realized that the pictures I originally attached looked pretty cr@ppy, like those with the bad white balance from the craigs list thread :p, so I made some adjustments and replaced them. Same pictures - just corrected for white balance and exposure. Still not perfect, but better...]

Attachments

• First Fire 20111024 Sparks.jpg
    First Fire 20111024 Sparks.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 591
  • First Fire 20111024.jpg
    First Fire 20111024.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 1,049
I hope you have the ledger board of that deck super-lagged to your sill, thats a lot of weight right there!!

Awesome install, congrats, welcome and enjoy the heat!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.