My quest for a 45

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
Well, 2 actually. I spent about 4 hours today driving around looking for a couple 45 elbows so I can redo my stove pipe inside. No one seems to carry them. I struck out at my local hardware store. I struck out at another hardware store in another town. I struck out at Lowes. One stove shop I stopped at had 1 in stock, but I needed two. He never sells them. I struck out at a Home Depot. Another stove shop was closed Mondays. I struck out at a second Home Depot. At that point I turned around and started heading back home but remembered one more stove shop on the way. Thankfully they had several in stock, 2 of which I grabbed. Thank you Son's Chimney and Stoves!!

So, the rest of the day I've had a splitting headache but managed to get the new stove pipe installed. A bit less horizontal now and it also slopes quite a bit now, so hopefully this will boost my draft a bit. It's about as good as it will get with this installation.

Things I learned:
Lowes and HD sorely lack any kind of selection of stove pipe. They have nothing right now.

Lowes sells Vogelzang,

I purchased my insert at Son's and they did the install. Not the lowest price you will find, but their service is excellent, making it a good value. We bought from them as a result of good experiences in the past (cleaning, sealing, chimney cap). It's nice to be able to give business to the small family run outfits and still fell that you're getting a good value in return.

45's are rare out here too. I used 2 adjustable 90's in my install. It's fairly easy to turn a 90 into a 45 using adjustable single wall fittings.
Unless you were talking about double-wall pipe....

See, you should have started here. I have 2 left over from my install and I'm not too far from you. Oh well, glad you were able to get the install done. How much horizontal run did you eliminate? I have about 24" of slight slope up above horizontal and wonder how much of an adverse affect it might have.

fossil said:
Hogwildz said:
Not sure if this pertains to your situation, but ya might want to read this.....................http://www.duravent.com/docs/bulletins/2008/45_elbows_product_bulletin.pdf

Hog, do you read this to include connector pipe/stovepipe, or just the Class A chimney pipe? Rick

Thats why I left open to the situation and interpretation. I am just not sure, does not seem to single one or the other out. So I am kinda guessing its a universal rule for all?

Kinda hope not, but it certainly is something worth looking into. H-m-m-m. Rick

Hogwildz said:
Not sure if this pertains to your situation, but ya might want to read this.....................
http://www.duravent.com/docs/bulletins/2008/45_elbows_product_bulletin.pdf

Not to make this a pun but for sure this will change many angles on old and especially new installs to come. This was for 2006 & newer in the U.S.? A pair of 30s are OK for the offset? I have two 45s due to my floor joists and ceiling/roof trusses not lining up as my stoves in the basement. Never been a problem to run the brush through it and I imagine this is the issue for build up and chimney fires. I sure do notice the heat build up on a high burn at the back of these fittings compared to any other part of the chimney. Good find Hog.

I see nothing in the way of stovepipe in my local HD and Lowes. I have had better luck going to Ames True Value in an adjacent county that is less built up, with more farmland. Also Tractor Supply and a small, independent hardware place I got pointed towards there. I found straight pipe, 45 and 90 angles, and connectors/ gender changers, etc. at reasonable prices. The only place I found 6in single wall steel pipe and elbows in my county was a fireplace shop I was referred to by another fireplace shop, and he was very expensive- like 3 times or higher. Would you believe nearly 30 dollars for a 4ft length of single wall 6in pipe? Believe it! My area is more densely populated, lots of suburban clusters, and they think everyone is rich. All stainless is pushed, even for inside pipe. And yes, stainless is a lot better, but also a lot more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.