My quiet stove fan prototype

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Burning Hunk
Feb 18, 2013
Saskatchewan, Canada
I have a hearthstone starlet stove which is steel body, surrounded by a metal shroud, surrounded with a cast frame and soapstone tiles. The design of the shroud encourages a natural flow of air up the back, across the top of the stove and out the front.
I ran it for about 3 months like this but thought I'd try a fan to see if I could get a bit more heat. Nothing extreme, just a gentle flow as I didn't want noise. What a difference, amazing how much warmer the place gets on the same amount of wood.
The fan is a 4 3/4 inch computer fan rated at 60 cfm and 18 db on 12 volt. I hooked it to 9 so maybe pushing 40 cfm. I was thinking of running 2 or even 3 at a lower voltage and speed if noise was an issue or if I wanted more flow. They can be run from 6 to 12 volts. The air flows in the bottom back and out the front grill. P1020106.JPGP1020102.JPGP1020104.JPG
P1010803.JPG

It was gratifying to me that the computer industry realized the value added back to your life when there are no screaming fans. I can't believe the stove folks haven't even tried. Maybe it must be difficult or else they'd have already done it. I salute your effort and commend your results.

I wish there was even a prayer of modifying my stoves.

I had a fan like this rigged up to our old Resolute back in 1980. Put the duct on something to dampen the vibration and it will be almost silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.