My Red Oak Score.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halligan

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2012
Southeastern Massachusetts
I scored a huge red oak tree that was dropped on someones property. I just need to cut it up and haul it out. I didn't have my camera with me yesterday when I started cutting so I have no tree pic's. Next time I go I'll grab a picture. Main trunk must be 30"-36" inch across which then branches into three good sized 18" or so trunks up to the top. I have plenty of work ahead for me and the saws.

Heres yesterday's load which is nothing compared to whats left.

Attachments

• DSCN3969.JPG
    DSCN3969.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Awesome! I've got a similar tree I'm trying to get this weekend, although not quite as big. That'll make primo heat!

Nice score! I scored some ash from a job I worked on last winter close to me. Got a pick-up load yesterday and I'm stopping on Monday on the way home from work to score another truckload, unless someone beats me to it. Its tucked in behind some big white pines so hopefully nobody sees it

Sounds good. A cord or more can come from a 36" DBH log real easy if it is long enough. They yield the splits in mass quantities. Nothing like getting 30+ pieces of firewood from one round. My neighbors red oak, similar to what you describe with a 30' log before it crowned out gave me three cords. And that was with anything under 8" getting put into the chipper.

Last edited:
Nice. Should be real nice to split too. Good heat in a few.

I'm exited with the score. Too bad it rained/snowed today or I would have cut some more. Have to work tomorrow and Monday which really stinks cause on Tuesday the temperature is going to plummet. Oh well, I'll get that wood one way or another.

Nice score :cool:
Im on a oak score which im not sure if i have the space for it!

Nice score :cool:
Im on a oak score which im not sure if i have the space for it!

I had that issue at my old house. So I started stacking at my inlaws. Good thing my FIL is cool like that cause he's got about 4 cord in his yard at the moment. My new house has much more stacking room so I'm good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.