My redneck portable wood sheds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiswood

Sep 9, 2015
Delaware
Hi all, this is my 1st post . I have been reading the forum for a while now. Just wanted to share with you my new wood storing method . If it makes things easier I'm all for it. I take these containers ( I hope I can upload pic) and fill them with a little better than 1/2 cord and cut the plastic container that was in them in 1/2 to cover the wood. Then they get stacked and sit in back of property until I'm ready to use them. Then I take tractor with forks and move them to walk out basement. Then take a pallet jack and move them around in basement . I can stack several cords inside if needed but I think 1 at a time is plenty unless a storm is coming. I had an old all nighter wood stove that served me well but this year I'm upgrading to an Amish ds160 . I hear some of you do t like them ( or say their just a big wood stove) but that's ok it's mine to worry about. If it doesn't work I'll change it out.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
I plan on heating 1980sq foot house and 1980 sq foot basement with it, as well as hot water. Thanks for reading my long post and good burning. I'm not sure how to rotate the pics sorry, I was born before this big technical age ..

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dafattkidd
Welcome aboard. That's pretty neat. Where do you find the containers? I've been looking for something like them to collect rain in.

The forum software has a bug. To avoid needing to rotate the picture take the shot with the phone's home button on the right side.

Welcome aboard. That's pretty neat. Where do you find the containers? I've been looking for something like them to collect rain in.
They come from a factory . They hold vegetable oil or some other stuff that they need. their empty when I get them.

We get a lot of containers like that advertised locally. They are used for grape juice, bulk wine, olive oil or just about any chemicals you can imagine. Sometimes you can grab them free but usually they're $75 each. If you have a wide patio door going into your stove room, it's an awesome option.

We get a lot of containers like that advertised locally. They are used for grape juice, bulk wine, olive oil or just about any chemicals you can imagine. Sometimes you can grab them free but usually they're $75 each. If you have a wide patio door going into your stove room, it's an awesome option.
I can get all metal ones for $20. Some have wood bottoms and their free. I prefer the all metal ones so I'm not worrying about rot. This stove is supposed to burn coal? I have 2 ton to try when it gets cold. And 10 cord of 90% oak stacked. I burned 7-8 cord with my old all nighter. I'm hoping this stove will be a little better.

very good idea - i actually drove past 3 of these the other day by the side of the road... i was very tempted to pick them up i might see if they are still there. Is the picture of the stove the new one or the old one?

very good idea - i actually drove past 3 of these the other day by the side of the road... i was very tempted to pick them up i might see if they are still there. Is the picture of the stove the new one or the old one?
That is the new stove. I have only burned it once outside to do a burn off . I hope it works out ok. It's a monster.

Gotta love any idea that makes it easier on the body when moving wood. Wouldn't work in my situation but wish I had two or three of those containers for seasoning the uglies.

That is the new stove. I have only burned it once outside to do a burn off . I hope it works out ok. It's a monster.

I thought it looked new - it looks impressive to me - what is under the firebox? is it like a heat sink or just a 'gap'.

upload_2015-9-10_11-3-48.png

is it like a heat sink or just a 'gap'

If it is intended for coal, the air comes from beneath the fuel. Most likely that will be an air gap under the grate. On the flip side - burning wood in this unit might turn out to be a bit finicky because of this design. My guess is that it will be a hungry, hungry hippo on wood unless there are some pretty accurate air adjustments.

I thought it looked new - it looks impressive to me - what is under the firebox? is it like a heat sink or just a 'gap'.

View attachment 161497
The 2 vent looking things are just for looks . But the door opens and there's a large ash pan inside. You can't see it but on the left side there's an air "damper" that you set for how hot you want the fire and it opens and closes per temp. I think it's called a bimetal damper? I would have to look up actual name. It allows the air in Under the fire mainly for coal I'm thinking. There's also an above air for wood .It has a secondary burn chamber in the top of burn box that reburns the exhaust for a cleaner more efficient burn. ( or so they say) . It looks like stainless propane grill tubes . I did see them burning when I burned it off outside. I work long hours often and am looking for a 10-12hr burn time. My old stove was about 8 hrs . That's 1 reason I went with this stove so I can try the coal option. I like wood but if the coal works well I may switch. I have an old funnel body grain wagon that has a roof to keep coal in so My plan is to open the Shute and get a bucket at a time.

There's also an above air for wood .It has a secondary burn chamber in the top of burn box that reburns the exhaust for a cleaner more efficient burn.

Huh - thats pretty darn cool....

If it is intended for coal, the air comes from beneath the fuel. Most likely that will be an air gap under the grate. On the flip side - burning wood in this unit might turn out to be a bit finicky because of this design. My guess is that it will be a hungry, hungry hippo on wood unless there are some pretty accurate air adjustments.
It may be time will tell. I hear it's quite an improvement from my old all nighter .

To the OP I would be very interested in how that unit performs with wood. I have heard so many anecdotal stories about how poorly they preform with wood I'd be curious to hear a first hand account

I see them on craigslist quite a bit if you are looking for a few check locally... Just make sure you get "food grade" The chemical are usually half the cost but you wouldn't want to store water in them.

Food grade $125.00: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/tls/5210152596.html

Chemical grade $50.00: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/hvo/5199015810.html

Good deal, thanks. Looks like they are on craigslist out here too. Food grade are asking a premium price though, $200. Generics, $100-$125.

Good deal, thanks. Looks like they are on craigslist out here too. Food grade are asking a premium price though, $200. Generics, $100-$125.
I would stop in a few places that use them and ask around. Around here people will buy them cheap from the businesses then raise the price way up and post them on CL and other places for sale.

Around here people will buy them cheap from the businesses then raise the price way up and post them on CL and other places for sale.
EXACTLY.
Keep in mind that if you are using it for wood, you can buy the cheapest and just put a chunk of tarp over it. The guy I first heard this idea from was tossing the splits in any old way and the spaces created more area for drying. He used the forks on his tractor and plunked the cage right near the stove inside the house. The idea is: split wood & toss in cage, stack cages in barn, move with tractor into house, pull out pieces and put in stove. Pretty slick;););)

EXACTLY.
Keep in mind that if you are using it for wood, you can buy the cheapest and just put a chunk of tarp over it. The guy I first heard this idea from was tossing the splits in any old way and the spaces created more area for drying. He used the forks on his tractor and plunked the cage right near the stove inside the house. The idea is: split wood & toss in cage, stack cages in barn, move with tractor into house, pull out pieces and put in stove. Pretty slick;););)
Who has a house they can drive a tractor into that close to their stove? Would love to see pics of that!

After the first time, it is a lot easier;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.