My Saturday morning laugh.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
forya said:
My Chevy Diesel 3500 Van can take 70 bags without breaking a sweat. the guys always ask are you sure when i ask them to slide the skid in

Fully loaded my truck (Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 DRW one ton) can take 6089 payload and 12,000 gvwr.

I'm pretty sure I can haul a ton of pellets.

A SRW van can take 5753 payload. Easily a one ton Van can handle it.

briansol said:
I've often debated this...

I have a Dakota, and its rated for 1465lbs bed weight. I've often just wanted to throw a full ton in there, but never have. Usually take half, unload, and go back for the other half.

Whats another 550 lbs?

Figure, without a passenger, that goes to 400 lbs over truck capacity.

What's 10 bags amongst friends? :X

One time I did put a ton in my 2000 Dakota. bak end droped 4 inches. was one long ride home good thing it was only 5 miles but I will never do that again.

BTW my My Saturday morning laugh ( after I was scared out of my pants) My son was useing the leaf blower to clean up the leaves , same one that i use to clean the stove pipe, I heard the motor changing pich so I turned tthe coner olny to see smoke pouring out of the back. ran over to grab the blower from them then the thing started to shoot flames from the power cord. I can only look back at this ith a smile know cause they didnt get hurt, they were just blowing the leave like nothing was wrong. now I have to make another trip to lowes.

I love the story that started this thread!

When I went to buy my first ton of pellets recently, I had the tailgate down expecting them to just forklift the pallet down and over by my truck so I could throw them on the back, but then he started to put the pallet right on the truck. It's a Dodge Ram 1500, I figured it could handle it, and actually, it did just fine. But I just looked at what a ton is after reading a couple posts here - I've never had to deal with anything in that weight, I was thinking a ton was 1000 pounds, but looking it up, I see it 2000 pounds - now I'm just wondering if I got lucky....

certainly depends on the year....
i found a chart for 2004, and not a single model has a 2000 lb payload capacity.
http://dodgeram.info/2004/load-tow/1500.html

These numbers are always the SAFE number. you can always go a little more, but you're putting risk on your shackles, brakes, and even the bed mount it self.

I had taken my 2001 Ford Ranger for a yearly State inspection sticker at a garage that is known for being thorough.

They told me I would need new rear axle spring shackles and some brake lines.

At about the same time, I purchased a pallet of Bio Bricks ( 1,850 lbs. as I remember.)

Planned to haul the Bio Bricks ( in two trips of course) on a Sarturday and take the truck in for spring shackle replacement the following week.

Something came up that Saturday so I could not pick up the Bio Bricks.

Took the Ranger to the garage the next week for the work and when they lifted the truck on the hoist, the rear axle let go on one side with a bang and a cloud of rusted Ford parts, ripping out the brake lines in the process.

Wonder how far I would have gone off the road at 55 MPH, with 925 pounds of Bio Bricks, in the back, or who would have been hurt.

All in all, I felt very lucky!

Ranger

Edit: P.S. "the old ranger" does not refer to that truck. It refers to that I was a State Park Ranger, during the summer seasons for some years, when teaching in the publlic school system and I am sure that some students thought that I was OLD!!

briansol said:
certainly depends on the year....
i found a chart for 2004, and not a single model has a 2000 lb payload capacity.
http://dodgeram.info/2004/load-tow/1500.html

These numbers are always the SAFE number. you can always go a little more, but you're putting risk on your shackles, brakes, and even the bed mount it self.

So in other words, I got lucky, and probably good that it wasn't even a mile from the TSC to my house.
I know I won't do it that way again.

I had a 1 ton dump that we used as a plow truck / sander. It was old and we knew it was rusted, but.....this bad? (Yes, that the frame that's broken. The overhang on the dump body banging on the roof gave it away)
Chan

Attachments

• Pictures 058.jpg
    Pictures 058.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 127
Status
Not open for further replies.