My setup, any suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaineBiker

Oct 19, 2015
Maine
Currently have a Pleasant Hearth 2200 SQ FT Pellet Stove ( Model PH50CABPSL )
This is being replaced by a new one due to warranty issues:
Summers Heat 2,200 Sq Ft Pellet stove ( Model 55-SHSSP01 )

I have the standard Lowes Simpson Dura-Vent Black and Silver 3-in Pellet Stove Vent kit, I did purchase a couple of extra pieces to make it work for our situation and to meet the codes that the insurance company wanted me to accomplish ( I went double on most measurements from walls and what not )
I went the extra mile and sealed all joints inside the house with that red vent sealer ( smells like vinegar )
I put a single sheet metal screw in all interior pipes to insure they would not move or come loose as well.
I used silicone on the outside near the siding to seal it all up ( no drafts )
The outside fresh air kit was install the same way ( sealed, no drafts )

I managed to find a nice corner hearth on craigslist for $125 ( Insurance refused to let me put tile down in the corner, whatever, it was cheap enough )

All in all I spent a solid day on the install with the supervision of a friend who is very versed in HVAC and installation of various items. It was my first install, just didn't want to burn the place down.
17889_955313667821105_3433985583999535001_n.jpg 984287_955313634487775_5466419691572033026_n.jpg

Run it.

Reactions: rich2500
Get the stack above roofline.
What would that improve for me ( just curious )
with the configuration of the roof I would be adding another 2 elbows near the roof line and going up again ( that would seem to impede the draft/flow )

Insurance company didnt have any issues with it.

I'm sure you could figure out a way to use less ells.

I've seen several instances where an install like yours hasn't provided enough draft under certain wind conditions. IMNTBHO I'd eliminate the possibility now instead of waiting until it's cold and snowing but then again you may never have a problem.

We installed ours last February and ran it from Feb till Middle of April ( lots of snowy windy conditions ) and didnt have an issue. Would the fresh air intake help with that at all? Im not opposed to moving it up higher, but dont want to spend the money if it's not going to accomplish anything. Just curious is all, not discrediting anyone or anything. I am new to wood heat for the most part.

As I said, not saying that it would not work, just that I've seen problems when the exhaust is not above the roof. If it's working for you and it meets code you're good! Enjoy!

I have basically the same set up with no issues so far. Like you I have the dura vent kit with extra piping ( 1 solid piece from stove to outside through thimble) with all the kit pieces outside. The 5' rise is more than enough for natural draft and we've already had a couple very windy days with no issues. My installer only sealed the inside connections saying there was no need to silicone the outside joints.
693f09ade4b4892d9d0405560bcb05a7.jpg

As much as I wanted to ride more today.... Late August I noticed my fork seal leaking. Having inverted forks means she's always leaking. 300$ an 2 weeks without my bike just didnt seem like a good idea. I can ride it here and there but I wouldnt go for a 400 mile trip right now. It will get fixed this winter.
10952577_944168768935595_1679589626215172763_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.