My stacks are getting filled back up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fabsroman

Minister of Fire
Jun 1, 2011
West Friendship, Maryland
This is a pic of my stacks up top on the driveway. The ones on the right are 2 stacks deep, so essentially there are 8 stacks in the pic. Have 4 more racks down by the deck, but two of those are empty. Going to move some of this stuff down there in the spring. Almost everything in the pic is oak, with the exception of one stack that is oak and poplar mixed in. A medium split of oak gave me 25% on the moisture meter today and a large split of poplar gave me 22%. Think I might be able to get away with burning the poplar this month and then the oak next year after it has been c/s/s for 28 months or so. Might split the oak smaller in the spring too.

Attachments

• hearth33.jpg
    hearth33.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 142
Those are some nice dry looking pieces of wood. They should burn nicely. I am jealous. All my wood is oak currently only split 6 months ago.

Out of curiosity, why do you have cross members on the top of the racks?

I built 4 similar racks out of treated 2x4's (see my avatar pic of one of them). I used 10' long 2x4's, and burreied them into the ground 1 1/2 to 2', then put 8'ers across the bottom as rails to sit the wood on (up a few inches off the ground. No cross members across the tops, and it works really nicely. Each rack holds .75 to .8 of a cord according to the cord calculators on here.

Out of curiosity, why do you have cross members on the top of the racks?

I built 4 similar racks out of treated 2x4's (see my avatar pic of one of them). I used 10' long 2x4's, and burreied them into the ground 1 1/2 to 2', then put 8'ers across the bottom as rails to sit the wood on (up a few inches off the ground. No cross members across the tops, and it works really nicely. Each rack holds .75 to .8 of a cord according to the cord calculators on here.

I built them like that because I am thinking about making them mobile. Was thinking about putting wheels on them, but might decide against it. Plus, they are not shoved into the ground. I used a dado joint to build them on some other 2x4's running horizontally and used 2x8 pieces across the bottom to support most of the weight. Good thing I did not shove them into the ground because it looks like the ones that I had the locust in need to be moved a lot further away from the house. Actually going to bring them all up top where this wood is when spring gets here.

And yep, they are somewhere close to 3/4 cord depending on how long the logs are cut. I usually cut my rounds at 20", but some of the stuff I have been getting lately that is already bucked has been around 14" to 10". I have no idea what these guys are thinking when they buck them up that small, other than somebody might have a small wood stove.

I have no idea what these guys are thinking when they buck them up that small, other than somebody might have a small wood stove.
I think that they are just thinking of getting their tree work done. I have taken up cutting all my scrounged rounds to 16". Makes for easy stacking into uniform cords.

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.