My stacks for next winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
All cut, stacked and ready to go. Been a long winter but productive.

Attachments

• 1271015398144.jpg
    1271015398144.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 546
  • 1271015422077.jpg
    1271015422077.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 584
  • 1271015431475.jpg
    1271015431475.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 545
  • 1271015446264.jpg
    1271015446264.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 564
  • 1271015463400.jpg
    1271015463400.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 574
  • 1271021502430.jpg
    1271021502430.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 551
  • 1271021521600.jpg
    1271021521600.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 535
I love how the stacks are positioned in the garden like flowers :)

Wow you guys and your stacking skills, got to love it!

Wow, looks great! :)

smokinjay said:
+1! Really nice-looking stacks.

quads said:
smokinjay said:
+1! Really nice-looking stacks.
Thanks, The BOSS says they have to be neat! :) Nonetheless, I am always amazed at the pleasure I get from this part of wood burning....I guess after 40 years of it, and still get a kick out of new stacks of wood...that must mean I am incurable. :snake:
The consolation is, I have seen you guys' stacks and heard you talk about them and I am in good company!

I agree that there is a certain amount of pleasure gained, not only from this part, but all parts of wood burning. Naturally the best part is coming inside a nice warm house in the cold of winter. You get warmed so much faster with wood heat, or at least it seems that way.

It looks like landscaping! Nice use of a smaller space. Living on suburban 1/4 acre, I can appreciate what you have done there.

Flatbedford said:
It looks like landscaping! Nice use of a smaller space. Living on suburban 1/4 acre, I can appreciate what you have done there.

Very nice! is that mulch or gravel?

Flatbedford said:
Thanks, for me it is part of the landscaping...the BOSS isn't quite so sure. I live in town on a 85 X 100 ft lot....0.20 acres so just a little less than yours.

ChillyGator said:
Flatbedford said:

Very nice! is that mulch or gravel?
Thanks, its mulch, and most of it comes from chipping/shredding whats left after i get done splitting.

Do you buy C/S/D or do you process your own? If the latter, do you process at your property or at a cutting site? I usually lose count of the wheelbarrows of bio mass that I haul away from the split stump after getting my winter's supply put up.

Your sure do "Got Wood" .... nice looking stacks. I think I actually enjoy the processing more then the burning

CrawfordCentury said:
Do you buy C/S/D or do you process your own? If the latter, do you process at your property or at a cutting site? I usually lose count of the wheelbarrows of bio mass that I haul away from the split stump after getting my winter's supply put up.

I hear you on the wheelbarrow loads. I am lucky that there is woods across the street where I can dump my biodegradable splitting debris. It seems like its nearly a yard per cord if the bark falls off.

Flatbedford said:
CrawfordCentury said:

I hear you on the wheelbarrow loads. I am lucky that there is woods across the street where I can dump my biodegradable splitting debris. It seems like its nearly a yard per cord if the bark falls off.

Yup. And anything of any size I salvage for kindlen or quickie heat.

On the upside, woodchips and bark do a good job keeping the weeds down in the veggie patch.

CrawfordCentury said:
I process my own (with the help of my son, because I am getting old enough it is starting to hurt). We haul the rounds to my property and split there. I use the mulched area and so cleaning up is not to bad....I use a chipper/shredder to chop up whats left after splitting and then spread it out in my mulched area. I have a lot of that because with my trees I can't grow grass there anyway.

Got Wood said:
Your sure do "Got Wood" .... nice looking stacks. I think I actually enjoy the processing more then the burning
Come on over next winter and I will let you help me process my wood :cheese: I don't like that part enough that I won't share, lol

I use the mulched area and so cleaning up is not to bad….I use a chipper/shredder to chop up whats left after splitting and then spread it out in my mulched area. I have a lot of that because with my trees I can’t grow grass there anyway.

Good landscaping solution for them that believe that having nice grass or a place to store your firewood is an either-or proposition!

CrawfordCentury said:
I use the mulched area and so cleaning up is not to bad….I use a chipper/shredder to chop up whats left after splitting and then spread it out in my mulched area. I have a lot of that because with my trees I can’t grow grass there anyway.

Good landscaping solution for them that believe that having nice grass or a place to store your firewood is an either-or proposition!
It has worked out well for me. I used to make a mess in what little grass I had...and I don't have much grass, so I do like having the mulched area to work. It is really nice when the ground thaws a little and it would get muddy otherwise. I have a mulched area in front that I dump the loads. Sometimes I split there before I haul it to the back....by wheel barrow :exclaim:

Beautiful stacks of wood.

Hey Chief,

What kind of wood is it? Those are the neatest stacks I've seen. You must have used a laser sight and a plumb bob. Clearly attention to detail must be something in your character. My stacks are butt ugly - but they sure burn good!

basswidow said:
Hey Chief,

What kind of wood is it? Those are the neatest stacks I've seen. You must have used a laser sight and a plumb bob. Clearly attention to detail must be something in your character. My stacks are butt ugly - but they sure burn good!
basswidow, Thanks, but really, my stacks aren't any neater than a lot of these guys on this forum! They are in my back yard and I have to look at them all year, so I guess I do pay attention to detail. The stacks are actually a combination of Oak, Hickory, and Ash. And yes, "detail must be something in your character"...sometimes I think it is a character flaw :-S

You are much too modest. Your stacks look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.