My stove cracked! Update Feb. 7

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hilly

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2006
Vancouver Island, Canada
I have had my Regency for the past 2.5 years and it has developed a small crack at the top right hand corner of the opening. The crack is contained within the seal of the door, so no air is getting out and it's still safe to burn.

I called my dealer and have sent them the pictures which they will send on to the manufacturer. I've posted here and attached the picture in the hopes of:
a) seeing if anyone else has with a regency I2400 or hampton has had this issue.
b) finding out if the minor pit (where the crack originates) could have caused this or any other possible causes.
c) determining what type of outcome I can expect from this from the dealer. ie repair (if possible), replacement, live with it.

I burn seasoned softwoods exclusively and I've had the secondary burn tubes glow red a couple of times, but I don't push the stove to put out max heat continually. I do burn daily with restarts required in the mornings (I'm envious of those that have a hardwood supply) so I was just wondering if the repeated heating/cooling cycle could have caused a failure in an already weakened spot.

If any dealers could chime in and give me a heads up about what I might expect it would be much appreciated.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 2,077
Sounds like a warranty issue. Casting failures can happen, even with the best of stoves and the best of care.

Usually drilling a very small hole at the very end of the crack will stop it from spreading further but if it's under warranty I wouldn't touch it..

Summertime said:
Usually drilling a very small hole at the very end of the crack will stop it from spreading further but if it's under warranty I wouldn't touch it..

It looks like it will or has gone into two different directions.like a Y

I have the hampton. I had a nightmare with the company, we will see. Hopefully they will repair or replace it. This is probably about as good a time as it gets for stove manufacturers that have been selling. Hopefully they do the right thing.

I was about to purchase a 2400 last summer, but as I examined the stove I found a crack almost exactly like that- and it was in the exact same spot. Upper right hand side. The crack on the one I looked at was about an inch long and all the way through the metal. We already had the stove loaded on my trailer before we noticed it, so I took the stove to the landfill for the guy as I didn't want a stove with a crack and he didn't want to deal with moving it back into his house. I still have all the firebricks, the brass door, and the surround for it. I need to get those on Craigslist...

Thanks for your input, it's quite helpful. I guess I'll just wait and see and hope for the best. I'll post an update when I hear back from the dealer.

If the dealer is good, then go thru them, if not go right to the company.

Actually both. The dealer was on Hampton/regencys website, I called and they told me that they were in good standing and a great dealer. I bought the stove and 3 weeks later when they went to put it in 2 kids came out and the "owner" that I dealt with was long gone. The real owner decided to join the navy, and the father that started the business did not want to be bothered even though he said he is the "operating manager" in his sons absence. Regency had another dealer come out and finish the job. They lied saying that the insulation is not needed, that a block off plate is not needed, and did not seal the top plate. Fast forward a year and I call because it just is not performing as well as I think it should. The factory rep that I had dealt with all along asks me, "why didn't you get a block off plate?" This is the same guy that told me that it is overrated and not needed? The top plate was 1 1/2 inchs too high on one side as well. The factory did not want to deal with me and after sending a letter and email to customer service I never heard back. In the end I ended up re-doing it myself. I like my hampton, but would not buy again from that company. In an economy where they are making money hand over fist and they do not stand behind thier product there is a problem.

I have an I2400 regency insert, my stove has cracks in the exact spot on both upper corners of the opening. I never tried to get anykind of warranty on the unit. the local dealer has gone belly up and I am sure regency will not do anything anyway. they will probably tell you that it is an over heated condition and stressed out the metal around the welds which caused stress cracks, it will not have any adverse effects to the operation, mine has been like that for several years now.

burntime said:
If the dealer is good, then go thru them, if not go right to the company.

Most of the time i would start witht the dealer your warranty is threw them and you paid them the money they should be the one to take care of it i think it will be more difficult for you if you go around them as mos maf. expect the dealer to handle this stuff.

superduke said:
I have an I2400 regency insert, my stove has cracks in the exact spot on both upper corners of the opening. I never tried to get anykind of warranty on the unit. the local dealer has gone belly up and I am sure regency will not do anything anyway. they will probably tell you that it is an over heated condition and stressed out the metal around the welds which caused stress cracks, it will not have any adverse effects to the operation, mine has been like that for several years now.
Have the cracks gotten any bigger over the years?

You should be able to get that welded and most welders nowdays have portable units so it should not represent a serious problem. If you have pix sign on here and post the question to these guys to see what they think. http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/ They can be a little crusty at times but guaranteed they will give you the real skinny about getting it welded, if it can be done and likely how much. Give em a try. Cast can be a pain to weld but the new rods they make today can easily do a perfect job if used properly ( which isn't always easy). Cast is very porous so its possible your crack originated from the pit which could be just located in an unfortunate area. Ask them about stop drilling the end of those two ends as they probably will keep on going otherwise. It looks like the perfect factory defect to me but you know how that goes after the sale, "I'm Bart Simpson, who the hell are you"!

Start with the dealer. Somebody owes you a stove under the warranty. As to welding cast, not an issue. The firebox on that stove is 3/16" plate steel.

Thanks for all the replies; the information is very helpful as I begin this process. I have emailed the pics to the dealer and they will forward them to Regency so hopefully early next week I'll hear back. BB, the part about the defect being enough to get a new stove is very helpful. I always like to be as well informed as possible before going into these situations and hearing what others' expectations are is very useful. Thanks again.

no the cracks developed and until now have not goten any bigger, I think the welds on the inside are to blame.

Under the warranty the firebox has a lifetime guarantee. Only makes sense that since it cracked replacing the stove would be easier than just sending you a firebox. The warranty does stick you with the freight cost though.

Phew! I thought another soapstone stove had cracked.... Steel seems so much easier to repair but in this case you have a lifetime warranty and I'd use it.

Looked at my i2400 just now because you guys got me concerned, and
I noticed that the area where your cracks are appearing don't seem the same
on my stove. In the pictures it looks like the cracks are starting at a 90 degree
corner, but on mine the corners of the opening are curved to form a radius.
Now I purchased my stove this past summer so maybe this was a design change
because they realized there were problems. Or maybe I am just not seeing the picture
right.

Ed

Any structural engineer worth his salt will know that you don't put square holes in plate and expect them to last long. The corner is a stress riser. The larger the radius the better all the way until you make the door round, not coincidentally the same shape as a porthole on a ship.

Postalizer said:
Looked at my i2400 just now because you guys got me concerned, and
I noticed that the area where your cracks are appearing don't seem the same
on my stove. In the pictures it looks like the cracks are starting at a 90 degree
corner, but on mine the corners of the opening are curved to form a radius.
Now I purchased my stove this past summer so maybe this was a design change
because they realized there were problems. Or maybe I am just not seeing the picture
right.

Ed

Thanks Postalizer, that's really good to know. I think you are seeing the picture correctly, it's the opening where the wood goes through (before it's burned)!

Thanks all for your ideas and insight. The information will be valuable as I start to go through this process.

Well if that is the case and they did change the design because
of issues with cracks there, then you might have it a little easier
dealing with the warranty issues. Just as a note, I am really impressed
with this inserts performance. I get good heat, and can also get 8+ hours
of heat out of a load of wood(overnight).

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.