my stove has no collar, how do I attach liner to insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric D.

Nov 27, 2012
Ohio
I bought a new Timber Ridge insert from amfmenergy about a week ago and I was taking the bricks out to lighten the load to move it and I just noticed that the back of the stove has no collar on it, its just flat. I know most stoves have a collar so that you can run a few screws through to attach the liner. How do I go about installing this with no collar? I have read about boots, is that what i need? My liner is from chimney liner depot and obviously has the appliance connector coming with it and i assume just slides down into the hole on the back of the stove but there seems like there isnt a way to secure it. I Will get a picture if that helps.

Eric,
This is James from Chimney Liner Depot, we encounter this fairly often with stoves. What we recommend is going to a hardware store and buy small L brackets and bolt them to the top of the stove. This will give you a few spots where you can put screws into the appliance connector.

There is no need for a boot, that is for an insert that has a rectangle outlet, not round. Older stoves have rectangle outlets.

should i use high temp caulk to seal around the connector after to attach it to the L brackets? Thanks very much for your reply.

You shouldn't need anything. If you want you could use a hi temp sealant, such as a furnace cement. But nothing is required. The appliance connector should slide into the stove far enough to prevent and smoke or creosote leaking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.