My stove is getting an early break-in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMZX

Aug 30, 2010
NE. Oregon
Hello all. This is my first post at this great site.

I purchased a Lopi Pioneer this summer, installed and inspected by mid-August. I put up a ton of Bear Mt pellets thinking it would be mid September, at the earliest, before I would need the stove.

We seem to be getting an early start to Autumn this year in the PNW (snow on Mt Bachelor yesterday) and I have been using my stove each morning for the last 6 days.

Stove works great, my "cold blooded" wife loves it. Guess I will go a get another ton of pellets this week. It may shape up to be a long heating season.

I believe the saying is, "Without pics, it never happened"

Fish On said:
We here on the east coast are baking. Wish we were cold!

hang on... speak for your self now...

Welcome DMZX. Do not to feel like the lone ranger. I have been burning about a 1/3 of a bag a day. We had our two weeks of summer. Start stacking bags for the remainder of the season! Try Costco if you have one nearby. Up here they are selling Atlas premium red fir pellets for $185.00 plus tax by the pallet only. This brand normally retails for $245-250 per ton.

tchdngrnby said:
Welcome DMZX. Do not to feel like the lone ranger. I have been burning about a 1/3 of a bag a day. We had our two weeks of summer. Start stacking bags for the remainder of the season! Try Costco if you have one nearby. Up here they are selling Atlas premium red fir pellets for $185.00 plus tax by the pallet only. This brand normally retails for $245-250 per ton.

My daughter is out your way and after spending the spring and summer in San Antonio, she is very happy with the PNW weather right now.

The nearest Costco is Tri-Cities, which is a way too far. My dealer is selling Bear Mt for $235/ton, but I can get Blue Mt for $220/ton delivered, truck comes w/hyster to move them into my garage. I think I am going to go with that deal.

I know that Bear MT is a good brand, never heard anything bad about them. Never heard of the Blue Mt brand up here. You may want to purchase a few bags and burn them to get a feel before investing in a whole ton. Just my 2 cents.

Welcome DMZX,

Like the others, I would like to see pictures of you newly installed stove. Burning of coarse! :)

There are a bunch of good peeps here willing to share there knowledge with you.

I agree with tchdngrnby on trying the Blue MT. before you bag a few tons. From what I hear the Bear Mountains are hard to beat!

Enjoy!
jay

It may be a few days before the weather cools down again, and then a picture will be posted with a blazing flame.

Thanks for the advise on try before I buy. I am burning Bear Mt (fir/cedar mix) now and plan to try the Blue Mt (fir/pine mix) pellets next. The local coop sells Blue Mt, which are locally manufactured. I will post a review later.

Welcome DMZX,
I saw a Lopi Yankee Bay Insert (I believe that was the model) at the local county fair last week and wifey loved it. Not much of a multifuel, only burned pellets and 50( corn mix, but looked great and quality throughout. Great bunch of folks here, let us know if youu have any questions. As tchdngbay said, great idea to try several bags of pellets prior to buying tons.

Man it was so hot here today I didn't want to go out to watch the kid mow the lawn! Not really thinkin bout heating things yet, AC IS RUNNIN :vampire:

Schoondog

Jeez, it was 96 here in Maine today. It has been a long hot summer for us. I can wait for heating season. The Rika is ready.

Welcome to a fellow Oregonian

I live on the west side of the Mts about 30 miles south of Portland.

Monday night it was cool and wet here at the ranch. We are at about 1200Ft elevation and the clouds rolled in.

House was 64F when we got home so I fired off one of the Pellet stoves (have 3 upstairs and 1 down)

Ran the little stove all night and it felt good.

Yesssssssss if your wife likes the stove, you better stock up on Pellets for sure.

Here we feed our two whitfields Hazelnut shells. Its a cheap fuel and gives lots of heat.

Good to have you on board.

Snowy

Thanks Snowy,

Say, have you ever tried Natural Glow pellets? They are manufactured in several places in Oregon.

Welcome DMZX.

Most of us on the East Coast don't want to burn until October at the earliest and as for now we don't need additional heat.

Well, you have that huge storm headed up your way, Smokey. That should at least settle the dust.

90 + here, no idea what I am doing on a stove site today, must be bored.

slls said:

asking myself the same question, lol.

geek said:
slls said:

asking myself the same question, lol.

Yea,
Sitting in a room with AC checking out the forum.
Must be the BEER!!

DMZX said:
Well, you have that huge storm headed up your way, Smokey. That should at least settle the dust.

As storms go around here that one might not be all that big, appears it is going out east of where I am. We might get some much needed rain however, my 5th planting of cucumbers might enjoy that.

Darn woodchucks ate a lot of both cucumber and squash plants this season. I think I evened the score and fed a meat eater or two.

SmokeyTheBear said:
DMZX said:

As storms go around here that one might not be all that big, appears it is going out east of where I am. We might get some much needed rain however, my 5th planting of cucumbers might enjoy that.

Darn woodchucks ate a lot of both cucumber and squash plants this season. I think I evened the score and fed a meat eater or two.

Careful feeding the meateaters. They could get used to it and turn on your chickens. Yes rain would be nice and cool us off some. I think I am melting!

DMZX said:
Hello all. This is my first post at this great site.

I purchased a Lopi Pioneer this summer, installed and inspected by mid-August. I put up a ton of Bear Mt pellets thinking it would be mid September, at the earliest, before I would need the stove.

We seem to be getting an early start to Autumn this year in the PNW (snow on Mt Bachelor yesterday) and I have been using my stove each morning for the last 6 days.

Stove works great, my "cold blooded" wife loves it. Guess I will go a get another ton of pellets this week. It may shape up to be a long heating season.

We may be getting into the high 40's-low 50's at night next week.
Will be time to "Take the chill off" in the morning.
No snow here even in the highest elevation. Mt Washington @ 6288'
Small compared to the Rockies and the Northwest!

http://www.mountwashington.com
http://www.mountwashington.org

j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
DMZX said:

Careful feeding the meateaters. They could get used to it and turn on your chickens. Yes rain would be nice and cool us off some. I think I am melting!

They are in the area anyway better the woodchucks than my birds, so far the only animal problem I've had with the chickens was when the neighbors dog paid them a visit. I manged to break that up with no fatalities chicken or dog.

As for melting, I broke down on day three of the first go round with the heat in July and installed one of our air conditioners, that takes the bite out as it removes a lot of the humidity. They had been sitting in the garage since we moved in 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.