My Stove is off....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShizzelDizzel

Nov 3, 2011
Wesminster, MD
65 in Maryland today!

I have my Mt. Vernon set to 70, and it hasn't come on since Tuesday about 3 AM or so. With today in the 50's here in PA, I don't see it happening today either!

I think I have used up about 25 or 30 bags of pellets this year. Looks like I will only be buying 1 ton of pellets for next year because I've still got about 2 1/2 ton heading into Febuary.

Mine will be sitting off all week.

Ain't worth running.

We will be back on the furnace for the next couple days.

Pellet stove is clean as a whistle though.

What's all the hub bub about stove being off? My stove is off anytime the temp in the house is above 72ºF. Thermostats are wonderful things. Saves me loads of pellets during the season, Plus the house stays a consistent temp.

It has been rather warm. I cleaned and filled the stove Sunday night. Here it is mid week and the stove is still full of fuel. Doubt I could get 1/4 bag in the hopper! Like money in the piggy bank. ;-)

Other than a few weekends. We have only ran a stove during a weekday while we were at work twice.

Only 2 days that it was Cold enough. During the weekends it will shut down most off the day anyways. We get great Solar Gain. If its gonna be below 30*, then we run all day. Otherwise the house will rarely get below 63° when everything is off (well, the wood eater still burns). Another reason they stay off a lot too ;-P )

Was just shy of 60° yesterday and its about 50° today. Beautiful, but I do enjoy Winter and the snow. My Son and I have not neen able to go sledding once. :-(

Yep ours is off too. Took the kids down and walked on the beach yesterday. Not bad for the last day of January and off to a good start with February!!

Brag brag brag! You folks with your stoves off. Found my wife in the dining room with the electric Heater going. I asked her why, was told "I'm cold". Ran the snow blower this morning. I don't want that inch or two of snow turning to ice.
Enjoy the mild weather. I would if we had some.

DexterDay said:
My Son and I have not neen able to go sledding once. :-(

"Sled" as in sit on to ride down the hill or one of them rockets you try to hang on to?

I live on a lake, Summer is jetski's and winter its sleds. Morning till night. Buzz-buzz-buzz. I like them, But its nice to get a break in all the noise. Actually have some piece and quiet around the homestead. I'm rather enjoying this very much!

Plenty of snow up north from what I hear. I see the sleds on trailers heading north on the weekends.

j-takeman said:
DexterDay said:

"Sled" as in sit on to ride down the hill or one of them rockets you try to hang on to?

I live on a lake, Summer is jetski's and winter its sleds. Morning till night. Buzz-buzz-buzz. I like them, But its nice to get a break in all the noise. Actually have some piece and quiet around the homestead. I'm rather enjoying this very much!

Plenty of snow up north from what I hear. I see the sleds on trailers heading north on the weekends.

Sold the sleds. Due to Winters like this. (Polaris XLT 600 triple)

Sold my Dirtbikes too (last was a 4 stroke thumper 05 KFX 250 and an 04 KTM 250 SX 2 stroke, best of both worlds)

Only have Quads now. Downsized on the 4x4 to a Honda Rancher (had Rubicon) and also have a Honda 400 EX (w/ Hot Cam and Big Bore 440 kit, many, many extras). Had a Yamaha Banshee years ago. Those are about worthless, unless you live near Sand Dunes.

Broke to many bones and was out of work every other year (for months at a time) and Mama got tired of my childish behavior. So the toys with 4 wheels stayed. Im still pretty young, but my bones and joints are that of someone 20 yrs older.

Still need surgery on both of my shoulders. Broke both of them and my clavical, pulled numerous muscles and damaged quite a few tendons. All riding and racing Dirtbikes and ATV's.

But yeah, I was talking about a little piece of plastic and a Hill kinda sledding.

Now back to your regular scheduled programming. ;-P

Stove is off here too. When the temps get this warm outside it's a waste
to burn up precious pellets. Don't mind at all if I have a couple tons
on hand going into February. Enjoy the warmth peeps!

j-takeman said:
DexterDay said:

Sounds like Highland J-- I haven't decided if the lack of ice on my lake is a good thing or a bad thing...sure sign of getting old!! West Hill had the thinnest layer this morning but I'm sure it's gone by now. The sleds have been quieted for sure.

whlago said:
j-takeman said:
DexterDay said:

Sounds like Highland J-- I haven't decided if the lack of ice on my lake is a good thing or a bad thing...sure sign of getting old!! West Hill had the thinnest layer this morning but I'm sure it's gone by now. The sleds have been quieted for sure.
Yep, Highland. First bay near shore drive. A bit crowded now, But we love the lake(or should I say lakes-we hit them all).

save$ said:
Brag brag brag! You folks with your stoves off. Found my wife in the dining room with the electric Heater going. I asked her why, was told "I'm cold". Ran the snow blower this morning. I don't want that inch or two of snow turning to ice.
Enjoy the mild weather. I would if we had some.

X2....snowblower was out last night and yesterday morning to stop the icemaker in the driveway of predicted mixed precip. Nothing melted overnight, was cold and rainy until just an hour ago. POOF, sun is out, temps shot up and snow is melting. But better safe than slipping on ice....these older muscles and bones hurt alot longer these days.

BUT, stoves still on....stove temp and low, cause I'm at work and no one to shut er down.

j-takeman said:
whlago said:
j-takeman said:
DexterDay said:

Yep, Highland. First bay near shore drive. A bit crowded now, But we love the lake(or should I say lakes-we hit them all).

Absolutely...beautiful lake it is! During the summer you can find me hanging out at the store by the West Hill Boat Launch!

whlago said:
j-takeman said:
whlago said:
j-takeman said:
DexterDay said:

Absolutely...beautiful lake it is! During the summer you can find me hanging out at the store by the West Hill Boat Launch!

Look for a little red boat(princecraft) Thats me and my boy. Once a month we spend a day up there. That would be my sons favorite lake. I am stuck between Winchester and Lake Mc Dunough(barkhamsted res.). Only cause the bass are bigger. We actually don't fish Highland much past the 4th of July. Way too busy there these days.

That little store has the best lobster rolls....

thedak said:

Ain't worth running.

Yep, running the gas fireplace on thermostat. just about 55 miles from the 'burgh. I'll have the stove off all week.

Mine is pretty much off as well. It's 25* here and supposed to be in the 30s by tomorrow. Might toss in a few small pieces at night, but the house doesn't lose much temp and that will keep it at 70-75* without trouble.

Panhandler said:
thedak said:

Ain't worth running.

Yep, running the gas fireplace on thermostat. just about 55 miles from the 'burgh. I'll have the stove off all week.

Natural Gas is so cheap around here when the temps get over 40 its a no brainer.

Yesterday I left for work and it was 60 and went to 67 and this morning it was 40 and almost hit 70 again. I haven't ran more than 10 bags this year. Last year I burned 2 tons and should have burned 3. Weird weather. I am not complaining at all. I haven't heard one person say they remember a winter this mild. Less than an inch of snow.. hardly any moisture of any sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.