My stove....maybe my house..??....Any Thelin owners out and around

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigruckus

Jun 2, 2011
Northern Maine, Millinocket
New Thelin Parlour 3000 pellet stove since the spring...overall it has been working great..lots of heat...but since the cold has come...around 3-20 degrees at night I've turned up the stove's fan to mid postion and have kept the auger feed at the slowest. as a result I'm up to only 10 hours on a bag of Geneva pellets...I've adjusted the stove many times to try to get the hours up but not much has happened...I did however get it up to 14 hours on low on both settings...I'm just need to know if this is common with other Thelin owners. The stove also needs to be ashed out only on the right side in the firebox every bag or so..or the ashes will overflow into the pellet firebox and load up against the door...if the ashes where equally left on both sides this would be great..I've also notice when I'm burning in the mid settings the ash is larger and black in size...not fine and light grey as it does on the low settings..???...could this be the pellets or some adjustment in the stove...I'll add some pics of the ash later. I've also come to realize that I might have to check my house out in the spring...seems like I've noticed more drafts around my doors and windows..since the stove creates some type of vacuum. Overall this has been a learning venture for me..one thing the oil man misses me!!...Oil today is $3.28 a gallon..it has dropped here in mid Maine..

An OAK will stop the drafts and allow the stove to actually heat more of the living space. Otherwise you are pulling cold air in through the drafty points in yoir home (bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, etc). Using an OAK will use the Cold outside air for combustion, which will allow the warmer air to heat the house better (bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, etc).

Some OAK, some dont. It can only help the overall efficiency of the stove and how well it heats your home. Wont help your burn times. But will allow you to heat more space on a lower firing rate (by not pulling in cold air, elsewhere in the home). IMO. Help me tremendously.

DexterDay said:
An OAK will stop the drafts and allow the stove to actually heat more of the living space. Otherwise you are pulling cold air in through the drafty points in yoir home (bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, etc). Using an OAK will use the Cold outside air for combustion, which will allow the warmer air to heat the house better (bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, etc).

Some OAK, some dont. It can only help the overall efficiency of the stove and how well it heats your home. Wont help your burn times. But will allow you to heat more space on a lower firing rate (by not pulling in cold air, elsewhere in the home). IMO. Help me tremendously.

Can you draw air using an OAK from your basement area...my basement is about 40 feet long..and it's cold..temps are around 45-50 degress down there..my issue is my stove is in the center of the house. The houes has been around 70-72 towards the back den area...about 15 feet from the stove through a hallway. My biggest issue is the ash deposit left on the right side of the firebox...I have to clean it out before I go to bed to make sure it doesn't overflow...Right now I'm closing up my damper some on the OAK pipe...I'm thinking I might be putting to much air into the firebox and the ash is flying around to much..???...What I need is to here from other Thelin owners..thanks for you message..

I believe I get more heat out of my stove with the blower around 2/3. I run in stove mode most of the time and I line the pointer on the dial with the V in the word stove underneath the L to H scale. On high it puts out more but cooler air.

subsailor said:
I believe I get more heat out of my stove with the blower around 2/3. I run in stove mode most of the time and I line the pointer on the dial with the V in the word stove underneath the L to H scale. On high it puts out more but cooler air.

This is no help to me...my stove is completely different then yours..but thanks for the reply..My stove has a low, med and shigh blower settings,,, and a speed contril knob which controls the auger speed...I always keep the auger speed on the lowest setting...this will load less pellets into my pot..

pulling air from within the house via an oak is a big no no.
there is the slim chance of it being a fire hazard if things go drastically wrong.
plus it will make your basement hella cold. because it will be pulling air in from outside and into your basement.

anyway. all the manuals say DO NOT.

so i'm still waiting for it to get below zero here.
i know -20 to -23 are the extreme lowest temps reached here.
do you remember the last time it got that cold here in town?

St_Earl said:
pulling air from within the house via an oak is a big no no.
there is the slim chance of it being a fire hazard if things go drastically wrong.
plus it will make your basement hella cold. because it will be pulling air in from outside and into your basement.

anyway. all the manuals say DO NOT.

so i'm still waiting for it to get below zero here.
i know -20 to -23 are the extreme lowest temps reached here.
do you remember the last time it got that cold here in town?

Thanks for info...that makes sense about cooling off the basememt more...I might have to go through the basement then through a window or something...this will be something to think about next winter. Temps have been mild here...last time it was -20 was last years..I remember it was real cold last winter...January and Febuary will give us some cold temps. Overall I think I have to tightened up this old house and thus will aid in my heat retention...as for right now I'm pleased with my stove...it's keeping us warm and cozy. This ash problem is a pain...I'll tell you sometimes I get nice light grey fine ash and then other times it's black and chucky..(about 1/8" in size)......it might be the pellets...I've read that they do change from bag to bag..??

My Thelin has the older burnpot design and I do not have the same problem side to side. I build a little more ash to the left of the burnpot but not enough to cause a problem. With the dirtiest pellets I still can go 2 to 3 days before a quick vacuuming is needed. With temps in the low 20's at night and high 30's during the day I burn 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 bags per day running 24/7. On low this will keep my house at 68-70 degrees overnight and when we are at work. When home we will run on medium and have the house at about 75 degrees. I only touch the feed knob when I am running shoulder pellets and want to bump a little more heat out of the stove, that is a very rare occurence. No OAK on the stove but we keep talking about adding one, however we are happy as it is so we are reluctant to make any changes. In the middle of winter I will burn 2 bags a day.

ebengel said:
My Thelin has the older burnpot design and I do not have the same problem side to side. I build a little more ash to the left of the burnpot but not enough to cause a problem. With the dirtiest pellets I still can go 2 to 3 days before a quick vacuuming is needed. With temps in the low 20's at night and high 30's during the day I burn 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 bags per day running 24/7. On low this will keep my house at 68-70 degrees overnight and when we are at work. When home we will run on medium and have the house at about 75 degrees. I only touch the feed knob when I am running shoulder pellets and want to bump a little more heat out of the stove, that is a very rare occurence. No OAK on the stove but we keep talking about adding one, however we are happy as it is so we are reluctant to make any changes. In the middle of winter I will burn 2 bags a day.

Thanks for reply....my biggest issue I guess is the ashes on the right side of my stove....last night I burned Geneva hardwood pellets and had to clean out the right side after 5 hours. I emailed Thelin and they wrote me back right away....they told my to leave my damper on the base of the stove only a 1/4" open....did this adjustment and didn't help much at all. My ash is a larger and darker when I turn the stove up to medium or high...when I burn on low the ash is good...it's finer and light in color...This is confusing to me. I'm thinking maybe the pellets are doing this....but as I mention the ash is fine on low. I think I Weill call Thelin today and see what they have to offer

ebengel said:

Thanks for reply....my biggest issue I guess is the ashes on the right side of my stove....last night I burned Geneva hardwood pellets and had to clean out the right side after 5 hours. I emailed Thelin and they wrote me back right away....they told my to leave my damper on the base of the stove only a 1/4" open....did this adjustment and didn't help much at all. My ash is a larger and darker when I turn the stove up to medium or high...when I burn on low the ash is good...it's finer and light in color...This is confusing to me. I'm thinking maybe the pellets are doing this....but as I mention the ash is fine on low. I think I Weill call Thelin today and see what they have to offer

Finally fixed my issue...the damper on the OAK pipe was loose and every time I would adjust it it would open back up...the shaft was loose..so I bent it and now it harder to adjust I also added a small piece of duct tape to hold it to a 1/4" open. Been buring for about 2 hours and the ash looks better..seems like I also have less fly ash in the firbox..that would explain why the ash was black and lumpy... Just to mention I'm not using a OAK hook-up..my stove came with a 4" pipe that stick out of the bottom which has that damper...just to clear things up..I've added a pic below...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 247
Status
Not open for further replies.