My stove parts are done!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corie

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
Camp Hill, PA
Just got off the phone with Lynn at Brandywine Valley fab and my parts are done and she just finished up my invoices!!!!!

I've got about half of my own machine work done, the secondary manifold parts are almost all done, the grate supports are done, the ash pan door is done as is the ash pan (almost).

I still have to drill the actual secondary tubes, the airwash ducting, the grate rotators and a few other things. Finally making progress though!

Also finished writing the operation manual last night when I got home from work. I'll post it on my website so those that are interested can critique it for me.

Pictures will be posted in about two hours when I get back from the shop.

I'm all smiles :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Be glad to help with proof reading the manual... Will you be producing these stoves? Be interesting the EPA process, UL process, and What testing your doing? Pics, add Pics!!!

Corie said:
and she just finished up my invoices!!!!!

Congratulations, Corie..... I'm not sure I'd be as happy as you are to have her say the invoice was finished.... She could have said.... "Come get your stove parts, and I'll get you the invoice in a couple of weeks" Now THAT would put a smile on my face!!!

ahaha agreed.

Would have been even happier if they said they'd cover the cost because they knew I was a POOOOOOOOOOOOOOR college student.

Oh well, walking out the door right now!

And then there were stove parts. Everything is to my specs and looks great. I'm very pleased with the job they did on everything. Now the ball is 100% in my park to finish.

Attachments

• 100_0925.jpg
    100_0925.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 472
Plasma ( cnc ) cut ? Water jet ? Them there are some good ole beefE parts. One he(( of an ash pan brother man . Super interisting . Lookn good .......... keep us updated .

All the pieces were cut on the water jet. Not sure about the bending though, I don't believe it was done on a CNC machine. A few of the small holes for the air inlets, etc were good old fashioned flame cut. Overall though, everything looks great.

The ash pan is huge so that mom won't complain too much since it won't have to be emptied twice a day like most tiny coal stove ash pans.

corie, how did you calculate btu loss to get to the proper chimney size? How many cubes is the firebox? what type of clearances are you planning on using?, what about combustion air hole sizing? are you copying a current stove on the market ?

I used the 1.8 cu ft. firebox size and did comparisons to various stoves on the market to find the 6 inch flue collar size.

I plan on using generic, unlisted stove clearences for the stove since that's essentially what it is. They will be overkill, but without testing, it is the only way I feel the stove can truly be safely installed at this point. I will be closely monitoring wall temperatures behind the stove and chimney connector with an infared thermometer to be certain everything is safe.

The combustion air hole is, uhhh, I'm trying to remember the crosssectional area off the top of my head, but I believe it is 2.5x1.5" without measuring. I am not copying any specific stove, although I have measured and observed a TON of stoves on the market to be sure that my fluid calculations for the stove seem to be correct based on what the other manufacturers are doing.

I have made the stove more heavy duty than any other stove I've seen, which I hope is only a good thing. The stove is going to have quite a thermal mass of steel and of course is going to be heavy as hell which I'm not terribly excited about.

Looks great, Corie

Corie said:
The ash pan is huge so that mom won't complain too much since it won't have to be emptied twice a day like most tiny coal stove ash pans.

That ash pans is so huge that your mom won't complain when its full, because she's going to say "Corie... get your brother, and father, and two of the neighbors and go dump that ash pan" :lol:

Awesome project Corie. This is great fun watching it come together.

Harley LOL, I expect Corie to develop a self-powered dump cart for the ash bin next.

I want an exclusive territory in Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland and West Virginia on the Corie I.

BroBart's Hearth Shop
More Than Just Hot Air.
Need to Flue It? We Can Do It.

I bet he will!!! Again... great looking project, Corie.

BeGreen said:
Harley LOL, I expect Corie to develop a self-powered dump cart for the ash bin next.

Hmmmm.... that gives me an idea... I think we have a bunch of big long screw conveyors out in the back 40 at work..... Built to handle fly ash, lime and a bunch of other material. Maybe mount one of those in the ash collection area..... out the door, and sprinkle the ash in the garden and lawn to sweeten the soil.

Is the box 3/16" or 1/4" ? Top plate different thickness from the body ? pedestal thickness? Also a side note: a CNC machine is like a water jet but run per plasma cutting , CNC is a plasma cutting table run per computer program .

Cori I was so pressed for time last weekend. But I was thinking about you as I traveled the main line almost out to Harissburg 76 is so screwed up with construction. Sorry no time to get together. I have a few stove installs to do one for TB. I have to get intouch with him. Hopefully other forum members will be on hand. We will document everything. I also have a canidate for the donnor program I have to follow up the setup with. Removing an existing old non EPA compliant, with the properly sized VC stove. Again to be documented and recorded for Hearth.com. If interested I have room for you here. Got a lot of things going on. I also would be willing to help with your Cori one install, if I can swing the time

The entire stove is 1/4", the top is 5/16" as is the secondary baffle, albeit stainless. (And is not shown in any of the pictures because I still haven't cut it to size.)

The only thing that is 3/16" is the base that the pedestal sits on.

Roo, I don't know if you are talking to me about the differences between CNC, but don't worry we had almost an entire course based solely on writing CNC code into various machines (Lathe, mill, waterjet) based on desired results.

Sometimes it's really nice to go to a big time university that has the money to have many many toys for us to learn on.

Also roo, I have some questions about a lot of the welding joints. I've got a good amount of T-butt joints and I am thinking that I will have to v-notch the pieces for proper penetration, but I know you'll know exactly what I need to do. I'm having a hard time explaining it in words, i'll have to draw some quick photos and PM them to you so you can tell me what you think. I appreciate the help in advance and I appreciate the kind words from everyone!

Corie said:
The entire stove is 1/4", the top is 5/16" as is the secondary baffle, albeit stainless. (And is not shown in any of the pictures because I still haven't cut it to size.)

The only thing that is 3/16" is the base that the pedestal sits on.

Roo, I don't know if you are talking to me about the differences between CNC, but don't worry we had almost an entire course based solely on writing CNC code into various machines (Lathe, mill, waterjet) based on desired results.

Sometimes it's really nice to go to a big time university that has the money to have many many toys for us to learn on.

Also roo, I have some questions about a lot of the welding joints. I've got a good amount of T-butt joints and I am thinking that I will have to v-notch the pieces for proper penetration, but I know you'll know exactly what I need to do. I'm having a hard time explaining it in words, i'll have to draw some quick photos and PM them to you so you can tell me what you think. I appreciate the help in advance and I appreciate the kind words from everyone!
Yep , Thats one beefie stove . Stainless steel baffle is very nice to see , you should get less warpage and a longer life from it . What ever questions you have Corie .....let me know , glad to help where i can .

Status
Not open for further replies.