My Stove Story...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gangsplatt

Mar 26, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
begins when the wife and I decided to sell the Fisher (papabear) this past June. I had a connection through a local American Energy Systems dealer and could get a great price on the biggest stove they have in their lineup the Country Flame Ovation 3000, so I placed a $500 down payment this past June. I wanted delivery mid-September and thought all was good. So I placed the old Fisher on Craigslist beginning of July for $250, got a few inquires at first but things got quiet so I was thinking about relisting then come August people started contacting me again. Well, needless to say last week sold the stove for $250. The really sad part about this story is that the guy who bought it from me told me he could get $600 for the stove in the area he lived (which is about 2.5-3 hours away). Whoever pays that for the old Fisher is a fool but whatever not my problem I got what I wanted for it and in fact I wasn't expecting to get what I was asking for but you have to start somewhere, right?

So anyway, I'm a happy camper. My new stove is on order, my old stove is gone. So I find out today from the dealer that American Energy Systems is not going to be able to go good on my stove and basically I'm S.O.L. Apparently I had to place my order in March if I wanted the stove. He could potentially call some dealers in the mid-west area to see what they have and maybe get the deal done. So Plan B...call the Lowes and see if the have the Englander 30-NC in stock. Nope not in stock and no delivery date is available. Now I'm starting to panic, I've got 6 cords of wood ready for the winter and nothing to burn it in. So I call a Home Depot across the lake and they happen to have a few 30-NCH's in stock for $999. So I jump on this deal and ask about delivery, etc. So for $1200 including (tax & delivery which includes about 40 miles of driving plus a ferry trip across the lake) I got the Englander 30-NCH. Now, I sit and wait for the delivery boss to call and schedule a delivery time, which based on my current luck I'm expecting to have a problem with.

By the way, I'm still paying significantly less for the Englander 30-NC then I I would have been paying for the Country Flame Ovation 3000 at cost!!! So I guess good things can come from the bad stuff.

As tight as stoves are now I think you're lucky to have scored a stove and everyone that has 30 NC are pleased with them...still I'd keep my fingers crossed if I were you. best of luck

Thanks for the reassurance :gulp:

I got one for my Dad's cabin, hate to tell you but in Feb of this year I paid 499.00 for the Big Englander at Lowes. But oh have times changed the last couple months. You still scored a good deal and you will love this stove. This stove burns so well sometimes I like it more than Avaon Olympic, but shuuush don't tell anybody.... ;-)
You might not need a blower it pumps so much heat out, good burns times too

are you kidding me! My cousin has the same stove. when the rep came to look at his palce for a new stove install, he told my Cousin that he would give him $700 for his Fisher papabear!

$700 for the Fisher Papabear? Really? Why would someone pay that much for an inefficient stove, when you can get an Englander 30 for $1000 that is at least EPA certified.

So you're saying I screwed myself I should have asked for more? Oh well, you win some you lose some I guess. :coolgrin:

gangsplatt said:
$700 for the Fisher Papabear? Really? Why would someone pay that much for an inefficient stove, when you can get an Englander 30 for $1000 that is at least EPA certified.

So you're saying I screwed myself I should have asked for more? Oh well, you win some you lose some I guess. :coolgrin:

You got rid of the stove, which was what you wanted. If it was worth $600, someone would have bought it when you listed it two months ago.

Its all in the eye of the beholder. I have an old fisher stove. I got the stove that looked like it had never been fired, 12 feet of stove pipe and 9 feet of dbl wall chimney pipe all for 75$. The person didnt think it was worth anything, after all it was old! For me it is worth much much more as i was able to move away from propane for my heat and go exclusivly with wood for the heat in the house. I would have paid 600 for the stove simply because its still cheaper than the new and as unefficient as everone says it is here is the math. Propane for a winter with the house @75=1100$, wood for the house and at as warm as we want=250$. So i didnt have to come up with the 1100$ for a new stove, saved 850$ a year so far. Around here the fisher could sell for 600 easy.

I wish I received a dollar everytime I've heard the words- "That's worth money." The trick is finding the person that'll pay the money. Sometimes they're the first person to call and other times no one ever calls.

I sold a great wood stove about 12 years ago for $200. Later, I wished I had it. It doesn't do any good to look back. Just look forward.

Got the call to setup delivery and she's coming on Monday. I'm confident enough to add it to my sig now :)

The stove was delivered today. Felt like a kid on Christmas day tearing into that packaging. Now I've just got to get some helpers and get the stove in place and do some burn-in fires.

Congrats on getting the delivery. I'll bet that alone is a load off your mind. From all that's posted it sounds like you'll be real pleased with that unit. Happy burning and send along some pics once you've got some FIRE!
Larry

Like they say, Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you. Well, all in all I would say ya just got gnawed a tad.............. Good lesson to be learned here though. Don't pedal what you have unitl its replacement is in and running. I guess that goes double in a tight market like stoves are right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.