My stupid wood is still too high in water content after 2 years !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davey

Sep 28, 2013
Humidity is high here in the northeast and it has been uncovered and exposed to the sun minimally.. but still 35% ?

Where and how are you measuring the moisture content?

Northeast where? Red oak? will be a challenge. Is it split and stacked? just checking before
you have a seizure!!!

i need pictures..... some of mine has low moisture but some in the same row has high but I would have thought after 2 years it would be a lot drier than that.....

What kind of wood is it? I'm in PA live along a river so we have extra moisture everyday from the morning fog and still don't have anything (other than a few stacks of oak) that have sat 2 years and still that wet. Are you measuring a fresh cut face? My meter was only $25 at lowes and gets the same readings, just about every time compared to my neighbors $80 meter.
Show us your stacks, maybe some of the pros here (not me) can troubleshoot your set up ;)

Humidity is high here in the northeast and it has been uncovered and exposed to the sun minimally.. but still 35% ?

Sounds about right from what I've seen if it's oak. Single rows or multiple rows?

Oak takes for ever to dry, even in single rows in the sun off the ground. Luck if its below 25 after two summers.

I'm a little east of you and find keeping the rain off the stacks helps a little.
Not a fan of tarps lain directly on top though - they are too tight/close.
old sheets of plywood / doors, etc. or pallets on top of stacks for an air gap and then << tarp/plastic sheet>>

have had Oak and Hickory take all of 3 + years to get low enough, Even have sugar maple right now that is at 20% and is 2+ years in stacks, granted it is a marginal location though.

Is the wood unusually sheltered from the wind, like up against a building? It will slow the process a lot if air can't move through the stack easily.

Reactions: PapaDave
That stinks!

I'm also in the Northeast (CT), and no pro, but that does seem high.

As others have said some details (type of wood, how long it has been split stacked, location, etc.) would be helpful.

take your meter to a indoor lumber yard, or into your basement where there's a 2x4 that you can test. should be near single digits.

JP

Has it been two full summers?

I don't take oak unless it is literally dropped in my yard already split.

Rhode island. I use an inexpensive moisture reader.Got pretty good reviews
By where I meant are you measuring the moisture on the outside of the wood? What do you get when you split it open and measure on an inside face?

I too live in the northeast. Seeing this post motivated me to check the moisture of the pin oak I will be burning this winter. It was c/s/s July 2011 so by the time it hits my stove should be 29-30 months seasoned. For now call it about 27 months. Stacked single row facing N-S so it gets the E-W winds we typically have in my area. I took a larger split out of the center of the pile, split it again and took a reading and am below 15%. Give us more info about your stacks/process so we can try and help. Pin Oak 27 mos seasoned.JPG

I too live in the northeast. Seeing this post motivated me to check the moisture of the pin oak I will be burning this winter. It was c/s/s July 2011 so by the time it hits my stove should be 29-30 months seasoned. For now call it about 27 months. Stacked single row facing N-S so it gets the E-W winds we typically have in my area. I took a larger split out of the center of the pile, split it again and took a reading and am below 15%. Give us more info about your stacks/process so we can try and help. View attachment 113499

I think your meter is reading low. I've never had firewood that low. When you put it into your palm what reading do you get. Also check unpainted lumber in framing of your house.

where i'm at in NJ never had a problem with oak seasoned two years. Never measured with meter but wood always burnt well

where i'm at in NJ never had a problem with oak seasoned two years. Never measured with meter but wood always burnt well

Now thats classic.

Am I the only one who pushes and wiggles the meter until those probes are buried almost nuts deep?

(hex nuts on the probes, guys...)

Reactions: McKeznak
Status
Not open for further replies.