my summit will be challenged tonight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
it was cold in my house as the last few days have been bitter i wasn.t running the stove as hot as i shoulda well today i have.... but i am tired now... stove shut almost all the way down...(the air) thermostat is at 650 2 splits still burning and about 6-8 inches red hot coals .... so i put 3 more splits in .Small ones that all i could fit i wish i could stay up to see how hot its gonna get .... my summit will be tested!!!

I did something similar.

left the air wide open longer than normal, just to see.

manual says its safe to do this!

surface temp was 954 in the hottest spot.

880 over most of it.

brought room from 64 - 74 in an hour!

haha

holy s$$$ was that the temp on top of the stove? my thermostat is located on the front... i wonder what the top is????hehehehehe
ps 750 an rising!

-12F for the low tomorrow morning. Hi will be 1F.

That's before the windchill factor.

I see warrantys being denied in the future.

Hogwildz said:
what do you mean you are a master burner!! i bet yours is cruisin even higher!

Nada, the only reason mine ever went near 900 is because the door was out of adjustment.
Usually highest I go is 700-750, sometimes it creeps to just below 800 unintentionally (very dry batch of splits, or smaller ones).
These things are tanks, but not indestructible guys. I forget the exact temp, but keep in mind above a certain temp., steel taking so much heat weakens. After enough time & enough of that heat & weakening, the steel might crack, warp, or even welds let loose from the plates shifting. Just something to keep in the back of your mind when you see it over 900 degrees. Great stoves, yes, indestructible, no.

Hogwildz said:
Nada, the only reason mine ever went near 900 is because the door was out of adjustment.
Usually highest I go is 700-750, sometimes it creeps to just below 800 unintentionally (very dry batch of splits, or smaller ones).
These things are tanks, but not indestructible guys. I forget the exact temp, but keep in mind above a certain temp., steel taking so much heat weakens. After enough time & enough of that heat & weakening, the steel might crack, warp, or even welds let loose from the plates shifting. Just something to keep in the back of your mind when you see it over 900 degrees. Great stoves, yes, indestructible, no.

i honestly don't think i could get it over 900.... the highest i have seen it at is around 750ish but ... it doesnt stay there long... maybe 30 minutes it usually can stay 600-650 for awhile but i can't really get mine hot unless it runs with the air open for a looooong time

I hear you there. mine has been about 750 tops. dont know if it could get hotter.. it definatly depends on the type of wood you have in it though!

Anywhere from 600/650 to 750 will produce a great amount of heat & secondary burn on the Summit. Yeap, depends on wood, draft etc. On my particular set up, loaded and if cut back at 500 or more it will go to 700-750 on her own. I can keep that temp for a couple hours, then level at 600-650 for a few more hours, then 500 then 400 so on and so forth. I think most stoves spike to a peak after setting air back, then level to a certain temp, then for most I would imagine its a slow downward decline in temps, plateauing at several temps while on the way down.

do you think it is my chimmney ? i don't know why i can't get mine to hover at 7-750? ... on a funny note three small splits got me to 650

iceman said:
do you think it is my chimmney ? i don't know why i can't get mine to hover at 7-750? ... on a funny note three small splits got me to 650
Yes I can do the same with 3 splits.
Ok, gimme some info.
Chimney type? Lined? Insulated? Height? Straight up or elbowed?
Gimme the skinny on the setup and lets see if we can narrow this down.

Hogwildz said:
iceman said:
Yes I can do the same with 3 splits.
Ok, gimme some info.
Chimney type? Lined? Insulated? Height? Straight up or elbowed?
Gimme the skinny on the setup and lets see if we can narrow this down.
6 inch ss 16 ft run comes off the stove into a 30 degree elbow and then a little s so to speak because the flue is to the left of the chimmney non insulated interior chimmney

Attachments

• flue pics 018.jpg
    flue pics 018.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 305
  • flue pics 017.jpg
    flue pics 017.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 320
16' aint so bad, that elbow although a 30 degree might still count as a subtraction on the chimney height. So its stove, 30 degree elbow then 16' of flex?
That block off plate does have another pc to cover that rectangular hole I assume? Still sounds like woods not ready. But if it is, the only other thing I can think of at the moment, is try and temp an additional few foot (4' or so)of the cheap galvanized 6" duct from like lowes or home depot on at top just as a temporary test to see if draft improves. Better draft may or may not help your coal problem also. For me at 27'. my draft is intense to say the least. Which also may be why its easier for me to get & run at higher temps more easily.

Also for the coals, as you see laying the splits on bottom on inner ash lip does help. you can also rake the very back coals out a lil bit, and add a small split back there, then rest your new load on that and the front ash lip, this should help keep the wood up long enough to burn a decent amount of coals away. Also try and load with spaces between the splits to let air get to back in various rows.

Hogwildz said:
16' aint so bad, that elbow although a 30 degree might still count as a subtraction on the chimney height. So its stove, 30 degree elbow then 16' of flex?
That block off plate does have another pc to cover that rectangular hole I assume? Still sounds like woods not ready. But if it is, the only other thing I can think of at the moment, is try and temp an additional few foot (4' or so)of the cheap galvanized 6" duct from like lowes or home depot on at top just as a temporary test to see if draft improves. Better draft may or may not help your coal problem also. For me at 27'. my draft is intense to say the least. Which also may be why its easier for me to get & run at higher temps more easily.

Also for the coals, as you see laying the splits on bottom on inner ash lip does help. you can also rake the very back coals out a lil bit, and add a small split back there, then rest your new load on that and the front ash lip, this should help keep the wood up long enough to burn a decent amount of coals away. Also try and load with spaces between the splits to let air get to back in various rows.

yes its stove 30 elbow then the little s bend as the flue is off i nthat dir. def not the wood no hiss.. no bark if it is it falls off and very light in weight

i made a collar in order to give me some play with the plate when installing

Attachments

• flue pics 023.jpg
    flue pics 023.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 249
Ah yes now I remember. I was/ am very impressed with that block off plate. You & the installer did a real nice job on that.
Nice & tight. Much better than mine ;)

well, this stove is 20 years old, and the manual does say that it is safe to burn the device at ANY air adjustement postitioning, so im not doing anything IM not supposed to!

I dont normally run it over 750-800, but it will easily go there, and Im guessing it would get hotter.

Mild steel doesnt melt until 2700 F or so, I figure its safe up to 1000 or so.

it starts to glow at 1000 or so, and thick plate around my combustor housing glows every time the cat is engaged, it hasnt cracked yet!

Not trying to argue Hog, just pointing out that I am aware of what I am doing here.

Hogwildz said:

iceman said:
Jimbob said:
Our Summit has it's work cut out for it tonight...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/01/22/brrr.html

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/mb-38_metric_e.html

She's cruisin' @ ~ 825 right now. :coolsmile:

what!!!

It went down to -34 last night. I needed to have it that high, just to warm up the house. Like somone pointed out, it doesn't stay that high for 8 hours. It sat up there for a while last night, I went to bed, so I don't know how long the stove-top stayed @ that temp.

Jimbob said:
It went down to -34 last night. I needed to have it that high, just to warm up the house. Like somone pointed out, it doesn't stay that high for 8 hours. It sat up there for a while last night, I went to bed, so I don't know how long the stove-top stayed @ that temp.

Hey JimBob that is cold!! We had 2 consecutive nights of -21 last year. I thought that was cold. The old Vestal classic never failed me though--I was toasty. This year is still wait and see with my new Quad. I don't know if it will do as well as my old stove--I really have my doubts. Our coldest this year is -1 and 0 in consecutive nights. The Quad was working hard and it did okay. Is there really that much difference in outdoor temp or stove capacity once you are below -5 or so?

RonB said:
Jimbob said:

Is there really that much difference in outdoor temp or stove capacity once you are below -5 or so?

Yep, the colder it gets, the harder the stove has to work. Wind plays a factor in it too, especially when it is very cold out.
When it gets colder than -40 outside, we have to have some electric heat on to keep the house warm.
It is only going down to -28 tonight, so I don't have the stove going quite as hot.

This is a quote from a news story posted about an hour ago on a Canadian news website "Cold-man winter blew his frigid breath across Alberta and Saskatchewan on Monday, prompting extreme weather warnings as wind chills plunged toward a deadly -50 C in some communities."
Converted into foreignheat that's -58F.
Keep the Summit filled....

Willhound said:
Converted into foreignheat that's -58F.

:lol:

Ah, good, those Summits out there in Alberta (all 3 of them) can finally "stretch their legs" a little bit!
:coolsmile:
They are getting a taste of the winters we get around here.
8-/

iceman said:
Hogwildz said:
what do you mean you are a master burner!! i bet yours is cruisin even higher!

Now according to the book that came with mine 4 days ago if it is not glowing your not over firing. it says if the stove or chimney is glowing you are over firing

Status
Not open for further replies.