my sunday afternoon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now theres a peice of wood you can use to open up a big saw and finally burn the carbon out and set the high speed setting just perfect. Looks like at least a few monthes of heat there in one tree. Nice saw too. Enjoy the heat out of it.
N of 60

Looks like oak...and you're say'en it just fell down? HUH!

Nice big straight tree too, what do you figure 2-1/2--- 3 cords?

The top of this tree was a few cords. I have no idea how many cords im going to get but its going to make a lot of heat !! I put another woodstove (nc 13)in the house this year so we are burning a lot of wood.

Very nice Captain.

How do you split something like that? Do you saw the cookie in half/quarters to get it up on the splitter/chopping block?

karri0n said:
How do you split something like that?

Get two friends to help you roll it over and dump it under a vertical splitter, split it in half, and go from there.

The fun way to split that is to turn the saw 90° to how it's pictured and run it down the length of the tree, then cut your biscuits so each round is already split in half once you cut it. That way there's no need to bring the splitter out to the field and the 1/2 rounds can easily be managed. :)

Wet1 said:
The fun way to split that is to turn the saw 90° to how it's pictured and run it down the length of the tree...

repeatedly with the Alaskan mill set to ~2 1/4" thick each time. Then cut each of those planks in half again on the bandsaw to make a whole lot of 1x12 and 1x(whatever's left) rough oak lumber. Then put spacers between each plank and let it sit for a year or two. Then run it across a jointer, through a planer. Then a miracle occurs and you have a diningroom table and matching sideboard. ;-)

The splitting part has become a bit of a problem. I think I am going to try and get the JD tractor back there and scope up 2 slabs at a time in the bucket. Not sure the tractor will be able to get to the tree. The other option is to get some wedges and try and split them there. I bought a 2.5 lbs fiskars the other day - haha but its not doing the trick !! If i can get them in hlalf i can manage them a lot better.

captjack said:
smokinj said:
captjack said:
Had this little fella fall 2 years ago - I finally got around to cutting her up.

http://tinyurl.com/btntbb
what size bar you running on that 046

Its an 046 with a couple of tweeks with a 28inch bar. I normally have a 20 inch bar on it.
thats what iam running, just trying to see how big that tree is. nice work!

KarlP said:
Wet1 said:
The fun way to split that is to turn the saw 90° to how it's pictured and run it down the length of the tree...

repeatedly with the Alaskan mill set to ~2 1/4" thick each time. Then cut each of those planks in half again on the bandsaw to make a whole lot of 1x12 and 1x(whatever's left) rough oak lumber. Then put spacers between each plank and let it sit for a year or two. Then run it across a jointer, through a planer. Then a miracle occurs and you have a diningroom table and matching sideboard. ;-)

Now your talking my language.

captjack said:
The splitting part has become a bit of a problem. I think I am going to try and get the JD tractor back there and scope up 2 slabs at a time in the bucket. Not sure the tractor will be able to get to the tree. The other option is to get some wedges and try and split them there. I bought a 2.5 lbs fiskars the other day - haha but its not doing the trick !! If i can get them in hlalf i can manage them a lot better.

Option one - If you have a truck with enough balls, wrap a chain around it and drag it to where you want it. or

Option two - Cut downwards about halfway down the diameter, stop cutting and pull your say out, stick your splitting wedges in the saw kerf & hammer away. Should split right where you stopped cutting.

Looks like Sunday afternoons for the next month or so. But well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.