My take on Inferno pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jp0469

Jan 23, 2011
Rochester, MA
Hello forum. Long time lurker, first time poster. Stopped at my local Lowe's the other day and needed a few bags of pellets just to tide me over until the Greene Teams come in. Despite the negative feedback I've seen regarding the Infernos, I picked up a half-dozen bags just to see for myself. These may actually be the best pellet I've put in my stove. The heat output seems really good and I get a nice, consistent, green flame. Ash is very minimal although it's a little coarse in size; kind of like coffee grounds. I think I may pass on the GT's and grab a ton or two of these.

Pleasantly surprised in Mass (a.k.a. JP)

Doesn't a green flame mean there are chemicals in it? I don't think I'd want that....

jp0469 said:
Hello forum. Long time lurker, first time poster. Stopped at my local Lowe's the other day and needed a few bags of pellets just to tide me over until the Greene Teams come in. Despite the negative feedback I've seen regarding the Infernos, I picked up a half-dozen bags just to see for myself. These may actually be the best pellet I've put in my stove. The heat output seems really good and I get a nice, consistent, green flame. Ash is very minimal although it's a little coarse in size; kind of like coffee grounds. I think I may pass on the GT's and grab a ton or two of these.

If you like them then go for it, someone has to buy them and it may as well be you. %-P

The biggest problem I have heard about them is batch to batch consistency. The next batch you buy may be total poop! Green flames??? really, Oh my whats in them there pellets. :sick:

I thought the flame color was indicative of the temp. From coolest to hottest: orange, yellow, green, and blue

Another observation, I see many decent reviews here for Stove Chow pellets. They are by far the worst pellet I've ever put in my stove. So much ash, low heat, inconsistent flame. I only used 15 bags or so; maybe a bad batch.

Flame color can also indicate various chemicals in what is burning copper sulfate and boric acid = green flame.

I agree the stove chow i tried didn't burn well at all. i just bought a couple bags of pres to logs and they seem great. went to home depot and bought a ton for 187.00. wasn't going to buy them cause there bad rap on here but they burn great for me. Just shows all stoves burn differently and try before you buy.

Vermont, Okanagan, Cubex and Barefoot are all that are ever going into my hopper ever again. And I much prefer the first two.

Life is too short for cheap beer and crappy pellets.

Hello

I had a dozen bags of Infernos and they burned ok in my stove but the smell of the pellets in the bag was really weird and very pungent!

In fact my daughter thought she had an allergic reaction to them when burning because she woke up every day with flem and hacking!

I heard they are made from recycled construction materials ??

However I do like their advertisement using a NE Patriot's cheerleader!!! The maker IFP International Forestry Products is affiliated with the Kraft Corporation!

P.S. Our Lowe's is not restocking them. ahhh

Attachments

• PatsCheerleaderWithInfernos.jpg
    PatsCheerleaderWithInfernos.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 761
  • WPInfernoSc.jpg
    WPInfernoSc.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 747
who cares what all the so called experts on this site think . i would buy what works best for your stove and your wallet . i did not care much for the stove chow pellets either only thing i liked was the price .the problem with buying pellets at home depot or lowes they dont care or know how to store there pellets . last time i checked enfield ct home depot they had 20 pallets of pellets all water damaged.i just dont trust them to bring me a pallet of pellets that are not damaged . ill continue to support my local pellet dealers instead even if i end up paying a little more........................ just my 2 cents

smilejamaica said:
who cares what all the so called experts on this site think ......................... just my 2 cents

Ouch! smile, I'll remember that next time you have questions! Or stove issues maybe! %-P

j-takeman said:
smilejamaica said:
who cares what all the so called experts on this site think ......................... just my 2 cents

Ouch! smile, I'll remember that next time you have questions! Or stove issues maybe! %-P
sorry if i offended anyone

smilejamaica said:
j-takeman said:
smilejamaica said:

sorry if i offended anyone

Your on my poop list now, No getting off either! :cheese: hehe Its ok smile, just funnin with ya!

You'll also note that most on here caution about buying any pellet in bulk without trying a few.

I bought a few bags of inferno while awaiting delivery of vermont pellets. using an ecoteck monica and noticed a residue that i can't wipe off since using the infernos. has anyone experienced this? thank you.

maxthedog said:
meant to say a residue on the glass window.

Next time the stove is off and cool, try taking a slightly dampened cloth (or good paper towel) dip it in some of the ash and use that to remove the residue. Follow up with a damp and the dry wipe down.

maxthedog said:
I bought a few bags of inferno while awaiting delivery of vermont pellets. using an ecoteck monica and noticed a residue that i can't wipe off since using the infernos. has anyone experienced this? thank you.

Our floor model Francesca, which was on loan at another hearth shop caught on fire and nearly burned down the building. The shop was using infernos in the stove.

Without starting a new thread, I would just like to chime in here.. We just ran two bags of infernos through my stove and I doubt I will ever do that again. The windows were black and had to be scrubbed with vinegar to get them clean after this. There was a ton of ash and clinkers. It looked like somebody sprayed the inside of the stove with black paint. Honestly the worst pellets I ever used. I know it can vary from lot to lot, but geesh, those were bad.

Our floor model Francesca, which was on loan at another hearth shop caught on fire and nearly burned down the building. The shop was using infernos in the stove.

Why do you think they call them INFERNOS?!? :gulp:

EarlyMan

jp0469 said:

Let's see here...New poster,...S.E. Mass,...Likes Infernos,....You wouldn't be trying to drum up some business here would 'ya????

Seems like everyone makes a rookie mistake and burns those things. First time using my stove, before finding this forum, I bought maybe 20 bags. Passed over Green Team and Stove Chow because I liked the bag.......

Status
Not open for further replies.