My take on the Harman "stove temp"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First just let me say, " what a great site this is for information"... Now, since coming here I have learned a great deal about my stove especially the "room temp" mode, I have been using this feature now since finding this forum... But I feel there is still a time for me to run the "stove temp" setting,...
I believe at night time once we have all gone to bed, I will put the stove on the "stove temp" setting and allow it to burn, I leave the dial for the temp. setting alone and place the feed rate knob on 1-3 depending on the outside temp... The reason for doing this is, it is a steady rate of burning, I don't use a large amount of pellets and the room doesn't drop below 70*F, this morning I woke to an outside temp of 35*F and an inside temp of 74*F and looked in the hopper and was surprised at the amount of pellets I used last night...

Why not just set the room temp to 70 degrees when you go to bed? this will keep the temp not less than 70 degrees but not too warm at 74? I've tried temp mode and room mode for 2 years now and have come to the conclusion that room mode is too easy. I just set it and leave it. No need to constantly look at my temperature and adjusting the stove temp. If I burn a little more pellets (which I don't think it does), so be it. It is a lot less hassles.

I think my sensor needs to be longer, will wait till spring for that, I have it set at 70*F now and with it being on the floor I expect it to read cooler, but the reason I feel like changing it over is the amount of pellets it burns at night... The downstairs is good and warm, but the dog is the only one feeling the warmth at night... Don't get me wrong, "room temp" is a great feature, when cold fronts are coming in during the middle of the night or during the day when we're at work, knowing it will fire up and keep the chill off, is a wonderful feeling... But this is not my main heat, I have Carrier Infinity heat pumps, and our electric is one of the cheapest in the nation, so it's not vital to keep it burning at MAX efficiency!!!

we run one of our display models on Stove Temp because it sits near the door and the room temp at that location is anything but constant.....in Stove Temp mode, its a nice, constant fire.....

THE ROOSTER said:
First just let me say, " what a great site this is for information"... Now, since coming here I have learned a great deal about my stove especially the "room temp" mode, I have been using this feature now since finding this forum... But I feel there is still a time for me to run the "stove temp" setting,...
I believe at night time once we have all gone to bed, I will put the stove on the "stove temp" setting and allow it to burn, I leave the dial for the temp. setting alone and place the feed rate knob on 1-3 depending on the outside temp... The reason for doing this is, it is a steady rate of burning, I don't use a large amount of pellets and the room doesn't drop below 70*F, this morning I woke to an outside temp of 35*F and an inside temp of 74*F and looked in the hopper and was surprised at the amount of pellets I used last night...

With outside temp at 35 its not a problem to obtain that kind of inside temp.Let us know what happens when outside temp is below 20.You will giving her all you got just to keep room 68-69

investor7952 said:
THE ROOSTER said:

With outside temp at 35 its not a problem to obtain that kind of inside temp.Let us know what happens when outside temp is below 20.You will giving her all you got just to keep room 68-69

my stove starts to really eat pellets when the outside temps go into the way below zero range..then Im chewing up 2-2.5 bags a day to keep house arounf 68-70...but never has the stove in stove mode had to go beyond feedrate 5/stove temp 5to do it...

investor7952 said:
THE ROOSTER said:

I have gone for over a year running in stove temp, guess it's hard for me to change. But in room temp you can heat alot of house, I only have 9' ceilings, and with NO electric in the home and outside temp of 6* the house was 78* in the room with the stove and the upstairs went from 59* to 64*, when I fired down on it... I didn't say "I'd never use stove temp", just feel that on days like KY has in March, I feel for me stove temp is the way to go... Heck we just went below zero this year for the first time in like 8 or 9 years!!!

Thanks for all the input...

when i first got my harman I used stove temp mode the room was a little warm at about 87 so I hooked up the sensor and set it to room temp and kept it at 74 and it has worked perfect the fan is set at high but will cycle down if its not needed to run on high, keeps the whole 1st floor nice without over heating the room with the stove in it and it drops way down when there is no need for heat I have watched it for a while and it just feeds enough pellets to keep the stove lite and it uses alot less pellets then running on stove temp mode, the only thing I will try it adding a few more feet of wire to move the sensor a little further away from the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.