my trailer...how much loose split wood and weight????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You do the math, Axle rated at 1200#, steel sides, frame & floor has to weigh at least 300#. How much does that leave left for payload? I would pick up a 3500# axle & springs, I think the frame you have would support it with no problem.

To the OP.... replace the wood deck.. with wood. expanded metal SUCKS as a trailer deck... I've got a 1500# Lowe's 5x8 with an expanded metal deck... and a 3000# Big Tex 5X10 with a wood deck. With the smaller trailer I managed to punch a wheel of my gas grill through the expanded metal..... so now I leave a sheet of 5/8 OSB in the trailer at all times. With the 5x10.... I have never thought twice about dumping bucket after bucket of rounds from the JD1050... or hauling a cube of block...
I'll second the wood deck, I have had bucket loads of splits,crushed rock, broken bricks, dumped in mine, deck is 2x10s
Bark n crap shovel it right out, haul what ever U want nothing is going poke through, sliding wood or any thing in or out, with expanded metal I wouldn't think would work very well.

For hauling wood a 1200 pound trailer wouldn't need more than 16" sides.

Your trailer will work for small loads.
1/4 cord or so.
I have a single axle 3500 lb trailer with 24" sides & if full it's way overloaded with wood.
With truck & trailer, I'd haul about 5/8 cord per trip.
Just got a dual axle with brakes, (7,000 lbs) with 5800 lb pay load rating. I'll feel a lot safer now & can haoul a whole cord with ease.

You may find it 's relatively cheap to add an axle or upgrade the axle to a 3500 lab one, to help you haul more weight.
24" sides would give you near 1/2 cord loaded level ;) 16" sides would be plenty .

Not sure how to get it registered for more pay load, check with PA's DMV.

PS: a 3500 lab axle with brakes is a real good idea when towing with car, van & small PUs ;)

Use what you have for a few trips & see how it works out.
It may be perfect for your needs, but It's easy to overload a trailer with fire wood.

+1 with the expanded metal bed, not user friendly. :)
Pictures when yo get it loaded. ==c

What are you towing it with?

No, here is one of "loading the mule".......

2qs30af.jpg

Reactions: HDRock and fox9988
Status
Not open for further replies.