My trailer rebuild thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbarf48

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2012
Stone Mountain GA
I got this trailer a few months ago in trade. It measures 10ft x4ft at the back, and shortens down to 10ft x 3ft 3ins at the front. The previous owner used it for kayaks. I used it as is for a while and hauled a good bit of wood with it, but its time to beef it up a little. You can see in the pictures that the sides are just 1x12s held on with metal L-brackets. Its not as flimsy as you may think, but I wanted something a little stronger. The weakest point is the tailgate, I plan to have a fully removable one in the finished version that will allow me to roll large rounds right into the back. Overall, its been working, but is just not solid enough for continued use.

Here it is, mostly the same as when I got it:
IMG_9372.jpgIMG_5624.jpgIMG_2863.jpg

The plan is to completely disassemble the decking and wooden frame down to the metal frame. The metal frame, along with the fenders will get cleaned and coated in this rubber undercoating: http://www.harborfreight.com/rustoleum-12-oz-rubberized-undercoating-spray-67948.html

The wooden frame and decking is still good, so that lumber will be re-used. I will re-assemble it with the only change being a wider front so that the trailer is uniformly 10x4 throughout.

I ordered stake pockets and these corner stakeside connectors online: http://www.easternmarine.com/corner-stake-rack-connector-set-6020. All stakesides other than the front will be fully removable.The plan is to us 2x4 supports, and build the sides out of 2 2x6s each. The total height will be about 18 inches or so. I may add another 2x6 per side depending on cost. This trailer will be used for firewood as well as for my landscaping/handyman jobs, so I may extend the two middle supports on one side high enough to serve as a ladder rack.

The stake pockets and connectors are supposed to be here today, so hopefully I can start working on it this weekend!

Just thought Id start a thread with my basic plans and see if you guys had any input. Thanks!

The ups man just came! Heres the ten stake pockets and the four sets of stakeside connectors

IMG_6874.jpg

Not sure what the frame/axle is designed for but it is not to tough to over-engineer a trailer designed and built to haul canoes and crush it with a load of wood. Just be sure it is able to hold what you are building it to haul - especially if it is going over the road.

Ive been careful not to overload the trailer, Im not exactly sure where the trailer came from or its original purpose, but the metal frame seems stout. I think the PO built the wooden frame to suit his kayaks. I dont pile wood up over the sides or anything, but its been handling an even load well the past few months (rounds covering the entire deck but not stacked). Nate, mine was much cheaper to GA or I likely wouldve forgone the brackets :eek:

Ive got all the 1x6 boards needed for the sides, and picked up the paint and hardware (24 #12 3/4in wood screws & 40 3/8 1.5 inch lag screws)

IMG_3603.jpgIMG_4019.jpg

Ive got jobs thursday and friday that require the trailer but hopefully ill be able to get some work in on it this weekend;)

Ive been careful not to overload the trailer, Im not exactly sure where the trailer came from or its original purpose, but the metal frame seems stout. I think the PO built the wooden frame to suit his kayaks. I dont pile wood up over the sides or anything, but its been handling an even load well the past few months (rounds covering the entire deck but not stacked).​

The pipe frame and single tube tongue lead me to believe that this trailer probably was spec'd at 2000lbs max GVWR. As long as your not stacking rounds on there, you're probably close to it, but not overloaded with green wood in rounds.

I'd check springs, shackles, pins and bushings before putting it back together. Also, at the very least, repack the wheel bearings and replace the grease seals if you don't have a record on when that was done last.

Thanks I do plan on checking all the under-carriage and leafs and mounts and whatnot

Looks like an old boat trailer with the way the box is built inside the wheels and the fenders are suspended on their own. They aren't necessarily the strongest thing out there, but they'll work.

The pipe frame and single tube tongue lead me to believe that this trailer probably was spec'd at 2000lbs max GVWR.

The design leads me to believe that this was a boat trailer and a fairly light duty one at that. Probably a 1500# axle. They were very common on light duty boat trailers.

Keep your loads reasonable and it will do a lot of work for you. Overload that bad boy and you may have a mess on your hands. Of course, this holds true for all trailers. It sounds like you are respecting it so far - continue the good habits.

Well I still haven't gotten around to rebuilding, been too busy. Next week is spring break for me so ill be doing it then. Picked up a tongue mounted jack from harbor freight along with 12 d rings for tie down points. Can't wait to get this thing overhauled!

Over the past few days I got the siding, decking, and wooden frame stripped off. Removed the axle, leafs, shackles, and femders as well. I've wire-wheeled the frame, axle, fenders, leaf springs, and misc bracketry and have painted all but the actual frame. Ill have pics up tomorrow!

I've been quite pleased with the undercoating, I'm on the third can now and it's looking great. I ordered all new bushings for the leafs and shackles. Once those are here ill be done painting the metal and re-assembly can begin!

Heres the pictures:cool:

Flatbed:
IMG_1172.jpg

No bed:
IMG_3927.jpg
Decking completely stripped and frame partially painted:
IMG_3708.jpg

I found this gem when I went to check the bearings ;lol
IMG_4838.jpg

And my makeshift painting area:
IMG_5744.jpg

Im about to head out and work on it a little bit more:)

Reactions: smokinj
Good job so far. I also used the rubber undercoating on the bottom of my trailer frame. Holds up great over winter and stone chips.

Make sure the axle can hadle the weiht you intend to pull.

What size tires/weight rating on the tires?

My guess is you have a 1,500lb or 2,000lb axle. I'd plan on it being 1,500lb axle for safety reasons and the trailer probably will weigh something like 300-350lbs when decked. So plan on being able to put a 1,150lb load on there. That's just shy of 1/4 cord of wet oak for reference. 32 cubic feet (128 is a cord). So if you do the deck as a 10' x 4' you wouldn't want more than a 9.6" tall load, make it 9" to be safe. Keep that in mind and you should be fine. Dry wood you could stack 1' tall and be safe.

Here's my rig, used to be BIL's landscape rig, not registered I use it around the neighborhood, any fenders in your future?:cool:
100_5545.JPG

Got some more done yesterday. Painted the underside of the frame and both wheels. Ill get around to painting the top of the frame soon and hopefully by then the new bushings I ordered will be here and reassembly can begin:cool:
IMG_0463.jpg

I believe the tires are these: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200330199_200330199

Got the stakeside pockets and corner connectors painted today. Wheels are halfway painted as well. Gonna try to paint the other side of the frame tomorrow because its supposed to rain tonight and I dont want it to get wet while its tacky
IMG_5578.jpgIMG_4727.jpg

I believe the tires are these: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200330199_200330199

Got the stakeside pockets and corner connectors painted today. Wheels are halfway painted as well. Gonna try to paint the other side of the frame tomorrow because its supposed to rain tonight and I dont want it to get wet while its tacky
View attachment 99231View attachment 99232

Well if that is the case, then I would definitely bank on it being a 1,500# axle. Keep it at 1/4 cord of wood or less and you should be just fine. On a 4' x 10' bed that would be about a 9" tall load.

Looking good
Is there room to throw another axle under there & Double your weight hauling ?
Pretty cheap upgrade :) about $150 +/- . axle kits
gotta be some trailer parts store near you

I'm sure there is room but I'd have to pay someone to weld a bracket for the hangers for the second axle. Right now I'm just gonna get it finished up but a second axle or a higher rated axle may be an upgrade down the road

Well the new bushings just got here and they're a hair too big. I ordered 1 inch OD and Im thinking now it must be 7/8s.

Wish you were closer - I would weld up the brackets for you for free. Not a huge project if you have it all prepped and ready to go so not a big cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.