My tribute to Zap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
I have been cutting some of my larger pieces to 10" for N/S burning next year. Any NC-13 burners out there should really consider it. I was trying to figure out how I was going to stack it, then it hit me. I will Zapstack it!

Attachments

• tenstack.jpg
    tenstack.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 654
Someones got a crush! ;-P

That is a darn good lookin stack o shorties.

FireAnt said:
I have been cutting some of my larger pieces to 10" for N/S burning next year. Any NC-13 burners out there should really consider it. I was trying to figure out how I was going to stack it, then it hit me. I will Zapstack it!

FireAnt, that Zapstack looks great. Another first on hearth.com.

zap

I've got almost half a cord of freshly cut and split pin oak that I bucked to 10 inches. I'm going to try N/S burns next year, possibly have long E/W splits on the bottom and the short N/S on top. Right now they are out in two big piles. Being trying to decide how I want to stack it. I just might have to try a ZapStack.

FireAnt- don't let Dennis see you using T-posts, he will scold you. I, on the other hand, love them. Nice Zapstacks. Nice finally putting a name to our individual works of art. I likee.

I was going to start a thread for NC-13 owners about 10" splits. When I was done stacking it looked much like Zaps work. I had found the metal posts behind my dad's shed and said "what the heck". Just wanted to give credit where credit was due.

Kathleen if you get a chance to trim some pieces I think you will like it for the 13. Next year I will also try loading it with all tens. Right now I put down 2 16's or 18's E/W then 3 to 4 10's across the top N/S

Kenster here is a shot of my 13's breakfast this morning. 2 Ash splits E/W 3 oak N/S and I managed to get a flat piece of Ash E/W again on top.

It will be fun next year for the boys to move all the 10" in stuff and do some stacking. Perfect for little wheelbarrows.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 441
That wood should season better/faster at 10" length also.

FireAnt said:
I was going to start a thread for NC-13 owners about 10" splits. When I was done stacking it looked much like Zaps work. I had found the metal posts behind my dad's shed and said "what the heck". Just wanted to give credit where credit was due.

Kathleen if you get a chance to trim some pieces I think you will like it for the 13. Next year I will also try loading it with all tens. Right now I put down 2 16's or 18's E/W then 3 to 4 10's across the top N/S

Kenster here is a shot of my 13's breakfast this morning. 2 Ash splits E/W 3 oak N/S and I managed to get a flat piece of Ash E/W again on top.

It will be fun next year for the boys to move all the 10" in stuff and do some stacking. Perfect for little wheelbarrows.

FireAnt it looks good, I created a problem at home because of loading N/S if we have any splits over 16 inches the wife won't burn e/w so it looks like I'll be loading some e/w tonight then a few n/s like in the picture.

zap

Just love this one..."Zapstack", thats really a great term. Zap you are another beacon of light on this forum and a genuine machine.

Could say a zapstack is filled with zapsticks+zapwood?

I dont know but I can see more zapisms coming-perhaps a logo and perhaps an entire woodcutting logos,shirts,hats, high performance chaps etc.

Dune said:

I was wondering about that. Do you think it will season faster in 10" lengths?

FireAnt said:
Dune said:

Yep 85-90% of drying is from the ends and the water has a lot less way to travel to get out.

Billy

zapny said:
FireAnt said:

FireAnt it looks good, I created a problem at home because of loading N/S if we have any splits over 16 inches the wife won't burn e/w so it looks like I'll be loading some e/w tonight then a few n/s like in the picture.

zap

That's the way I will do it for a while. I don't know if I can commit to cutting everything 10"s yet...

Cowboy Billy said:
FireAnt said:
Dune said:

Yep 85-90% of drying is from the ends and the water has a lot less way to travel to get out.

Billy

Thanks! Good to know.

I probably could have worded the title better...

Beetle-Kill said:
FireAnt- don't let Dennis see you using T-posts, he will scold you. I, on the other hand, love them. Nice Zapstacks. Nice finally putting a name to our individual works of art. I likee.

Well, we got Zap trying the cross stacks for ends so maybe we'll have to work on FireAnt. However, those short things can be tricky to stack no matter how you do it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Beetle-Kill said:

Well, we got Zap trying the cross stacks for ends so maybe we'll have to work on FireAnt. However, those short things can be tricky to stack no matter how you do it.

Dennis I cross stack all my other wood. Here is stuff I just split a couple weeks ago. These are to little to try that. I started trying to cross stack and I was not getting to far. It becomes to much of a tiny jigsaw puzzle that will topple over.

Attachments

• stack.jpg
    stack.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 167
FireAnt said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Beetle-Kill said:

Dennis I cross stack all my other wood. Here is stuff I just split a couple weeks ago. These are to little to try that. I started trying to cross stack and I was not getting to far. It becomes to much of a tiny jigsaw puzzle that will topple over.

FireAnt, we use the cross stack only on the ends of the stacks, like this:

Wood-2010d.gif

That's NICE! How tall are those stacks. If you take a look at the smaller stack in my pick that's how I did it. I tested it out on that stack. I like it.

Anthony, I usually stack at 4.5' in height which will shrink down to around 4' in a few months. I've just found this to be a good height to work with and don't have to be concerned with them falling over. Then also for putting the covering on, which is on those stacks now, the 4' to 4.5' is not too high to work with. I use old galvanized roofing for covering the stacks then just throw odd pieces on top to hold the galvanized down when the wind gets unruly. It did one time this fall and I had to chase down a couple sheets of roofing but no harm done.

These stacks will stay uncovered for now. I have a blue tarp just on the top of the other stack which is ready to burn. I just have to haul it to my house from my parents. First full year burning and I don't know how much I will use so I move it over as I need it. I have learned so much from this site and now it is just a matter of getting ahead. Plenty of wood to cut and split right now though... Thanks for all your help and knowledge throughout this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.