My truck did not like that

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisnow86

Minister of Fire
got a ton of pellets today and my truck did not like it axle was hitting the bump stops lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 560
Reactions: Ranger72
I have a 2010 ford F-150 and was debating about putting a ton back there. Ended up using a co-workers trailer instead.

I'm curious would you do it again?

Haha, my 1500 Silverado still has an inch or so space between axle and bump stops with a ton in it. Chevy for the win. ;) And here I go, stirring the pot. I do it every year with my truck without hesitation.

Eh not sure maybe if I was closer to home.. I have a 2 in drop in the rear so it sits level.. So when you put weight on it, it bottoms out easy.. I have plenty of power just can't handle the weight lol

Reactions: Ranger72
My gmc 1500 squats quite a bit but she'll take it so long as the pallet is pushed right up against the cab.I've lugged home 5 ton this year from 25 miles away but the road I'm traveling is in excellent shape, wouldn't want to attempt it on a bumpy highway, it might get expensive!

I have made many trips with a ton of pellets in my 2003 Dakota. Never had a problem as long as they slid the pallet all the way to the back of the cab. As years go by i am more afraid that something will break so i end up breaking down the pallet in the parking lot and loading them by hand. More work, but it makes me feel like distributing the weight is better for it.

Looks like you exceeded your bed's weight limit.

Not wise.

Reactions: Singley and iceguy4
I brought home a couple tons in the bed of my my Tundra (one ton per trip) this year, but it's only a few miles from my house. Definitely would not want to travel a long distance with a ton in the bed.

We need a thread with more pics. "hauling pellets, dragging arse".

Something tells me a picture of a red pickup with two tons in the back will appear in this thread real soon.

I've moved lots of fire wood stacked higher than the cab and it hits the bump stops, but that's only going around the yard... I hade to drive 35 min home like this lol

Oh and I didn't plan on unloading it tonight so I jacked up the rear end and put a couple jack stands under the frame to keep the weight off the springs

Something tells me a picture of a red pickup with two tons in the back will appear in this thread real soon.

Here's a red pickup with over 2 tons in the back, albeit concrete not pellets. No problem. I do firewood stacked to the top of the cab all the time. :)

I hauled a ton in a Chevy S-10, it had overload springs in it because I sometimes carried a camper in it, it didn't hit the bump stops.

Dave

Ok. I'll play.
1398733_10202453349600271_421810719_o.jpg
and for reference, unloaded:
10430837_10204080938048965_7670409419542288536_n.jpg

Keep in mind that its the drivers responsibility not to operate an overloaded vehicle. This applies to cars as well as commercial trucks. If your involved in an accident (even if its not your fault) you can be held liable for being overloaded beyond the rated capacity.

Reactions: iceguy4
Status
Not open for further replies.