My truck did not like that

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the guys that haul 1 ton in there 1/2 ton pick-ups and don't really care and think its no big deal. Would you care if someone 'overloaded' hit your loved one? Would you say 'It's ok cause I do that to?'

Reactions: Twinturbo6.4
i have my class A CDL so that was never a issue for me
Great !

People always complain about trucks. BUT, if they had to go through the license process, and the crazy vehicles inspections, I bet 25% of vehicles 3-4 years old or older would be RED TAGGED for tires, brakes, even lights not working.

Great !

People always complain about trucks. BUT, if they had to go through the license process, and the crazy vehicles inspections, I bet 25% of vehicles 3-4 years old or older would be RED TAGGED for tires, brakes, even lights not working.

You're not far off there. Statistics from the FMCSA show that about 20% of inspections result in the vehicle being put out of service.

http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SafetyProgram/RoadsideInspections.aspx

I'm surprised by the number of boy scouts here.

Dave

No Boy Scout here. For me, it's really not any more complicated than I'd rather hold onto the assets I've worked so hard to acquire. I know that if I get into an accident with a truck I opted to overload, the person I hit is going to own my house (and probably a whole lot more than that)! I actually like my house, and would prefer to keep my family living it. It's just not a liability that I would ever take on, which probably explains why Home Depot and Lowes simply refuse to load more than half a ton of pellets onto a half a ton truck.

No Boy Scout here. For me, it's really not any more complicated than I'd rather hold onto the assets I've worked so hard to acquire. I know that if I get into an accident with a truck I opted to overload, the person I hit is going to own my house (and probably a whole lot more than that)! I actually like my house, and would prefer to keep my family living it. It's just not a liability that I would ever take on, which probably explains why Home Depot and Lowes simply refuse to load more than half a ton of pellets onto a half a ton truck.
I had the opposite problem. I had to keep telling the guy i CANT take a full ton in my dakota.

I can only ever get about 7 bags home at a time, I never seem to have much room after I buy beer!! beer.jpg

Reactions: dlehneman and bags
You don't need a truck, you need a Volkswagen!

stupid198.jpg

Oh please, my baby Jeep (Patriot - 4 cylinder and the wimpiest Jeep there is), hauls 1/2 ton easy. I bring home 25 bags at a time (no delivery cost that way). Only reason don't load more is that is all of the cargo space. Okay, I wouldn't want to drive it over frost heaves loaded like that and it is only a mile from where I buy it to my house . . .

Why yes this is my first post and I'm already starting sh*t - LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Big papa
I bring home 25 bags at a time (no delivery cost that way).
Who pays for the gas and maintanence on your vehicle? I also assume that your time has some value.

Oh please, my baby Jeep (Patriot - 4 cylinder and the wimpiest Jeep there is), hauls 1/2 ton easy. I bring home 25 bags at a time (no delivery cost that way). Only reason don't load more is that is all of the cargo space. Okay, I wouldn't want to drive it over frost heaves loaded like that and it is only a mile from where I buy it to my house . . .

Why yes this is my first post and I'm already starting sh*t - LOL
your patriot is rated for about 1300 lbs.
assuming you are under 300lbs yourself and go alone, you are within legal limits of the vehicle taking a 1/2 ton.
http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep_capabilities/towing/#Patriot2Tab*

you're not pushing any limits. but the guys taking 2000 lbs + their 200 lb self in a 1500 lb rated 1/2 ton, is not legal or smart

Who pays for the gas and maintanence on your vehicle? I also assume that your time has some value.

I pick up the bags while I am going past the place (a mile away - across from the dump, which I have to visit every Saturday.

but the guys taking 2000 lbs + their 200 lb self in a 1500 lb rated 1/2 ton, is not legal or smart

I'd really like someone to provide a link to a law saying it's illegal. I've seen this same debate take place countless times on truck forums. The "weight police" are always quick to say how illegal it is, but no one ever seems to be able to find a law that says something like "shall not exceed the manufacturer's stated gross vehicle weight rating". In most places, the only weights that are illegal to exceed are the weight you've registered your truck for, and the load rating of the tires.

In other words, if you're going to tell me something is illegal, you better be able to provide the law that says it's illegal.

Reactions: DneprDave
I'd really like someone to provide a link to a law saying it's illegal. I've seen this same debate take place countless times on truck forums. The "weight police" are always quick to say how illegal it is, but no one ever seems to be able to find a law that says something like "shall not exceed the manufacturer's stated gross vehicle weight rating". In most places, the only weights that are illegal to exceed are the weight you've registered your truck for, and the load rating of the tires.

In other words, if you're going to tell me something is illegal, you better be able to provide the law that says it's illegal.
Massachusetts...

https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/parti/titlexiv/chapter90/section19a

Easy enough to Google for your own state.

Reactions: pete7713
I read through all of that, and I don't see anything that says you can't exceed the manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating. I do however see this:

in no event in excess of the gross weight for which such vehicle is registered

I used to be one of the people insisting it was illegal to exceed your GVWR, until someone challenged me to show them the law saying it was illegal. I tried, but I failed that challenge.

Obviously the laws are different in every state, but I have yet to actually see such a law.

I can get 25 bags in my Mazda5.

Status
Not open for further replies.