My Turn To Ask For A Lead On Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
My wonderful wood guy is out of wood. When I called him, he did bring about 1/3 of a cord of seasoned hardwood mix, and never came for any money. He forgot that he said he'd save me 3 cord :-S

I need leads on seasoned wood in Suffolk County, Long Island. I figure with both stoves, I need another 3 cords, max, if it stays this cold. I figure I have enough for 2 weeks. The cold weather, and the learning curve on the TR has taken a toll that I did not anticipate. The oil burner does not work. It won't happen again, getting caught this short.

F 250 with an 8' bed, can pick up. Also have trailer, if need be. Also willing to pick up wood for processing for next year, and the year after, etc.

Any help/leads very appreciated !

**Mods** I figured I would get more exposure here, but if this should be in the "Sale/Wanted" Area, feel free.

It's hard because of the firewood quarantine of 40 miles. Being on an island doesn't help.

For next year, is there a brush dump for your county? I've secured lots of wood there.

Any sources of pallets that you know of?

Matt

I do have some pallets (10 or so), that I can utilize. That will stretch out the wetter stuff, but we're still not going to make it.

Eileen, there is a place in Sag Harbor, pretty near the airport. It is north of 27. I can't remember the name, but I do remember thinking it was the most seasoned lokking firewood I had ever seen at a commercial place. Mountains of dark grey wood. If you want, I call call my freind down there and try to get the #.

Dune, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I called him, he usualy doesn't call back for a day or so. As soon as I hear from him I'll let you know.

Dixie - I live in Levittown, but work in Huntington. I know an old guy on Oakwood Rd. that sells firewood. He has a wood furnace (unheard of on L.I.!!) and heats solely with wood. I stopped by to checK him out last spring. He's an 'old school' guy, never heard of a moisture meter (or anyone asking about moisture content), but DID have dry wood on his land. A few months ago, I met a guy who got burned on Craigslist, and gave him the old mans #. He got some wood from him, and was very happy. He's not a big time dealer (no advertising, his home # on a sign in front of his place) - just an old dude selling some firewood. He didnt know oak from ash from maple (I do), but had 90%+ hardwoods.
Like I said - educated on wood species and moisture content he was NOT. But he DID have dry wood, and he was going to be my 'EMERGENCY' guy, if need be. If you would like, I'll jot down his # when I'm passing his place today (around 4 P.M.) and PM you later.

P.S. -- I think he wanted $200 a cord

P.P.S. - I would be happy to give you some of my wood, but my new stove ate a bit more of my suppy,too, and although I believe I'll make it through March, it'll be close. I'm sorry. Next year I'll be way ahead,tho. :gulp:

Also,Dixie, if you look on CL, you can get brick-fuel for $285 a pallet, delivered. (I think) ;-)

wood-fan-atic said:
Also,Dixie, if you look on CL, you can get brick-fuel for $285 a pallet, delivered. (I think) ;-)

+1 long island this could be your best bet!

Driving down through Riverhead, actualy in Flanders, I thinck it was route 24 or 25, there were thousands of dead, I am talking long dead, oaks. It looked like a disease of some type. I would think someone was harvesting some of that wood. The other thing I noticied, out in North Fork, coming in from Orient Point, in the spring, lots of people put wood and brush by the road, and the town or county must take it away. I don't know if you have a truck, but it may be worth taking a drive that way sometime. Maybe find out what day the refuse is removed and head out that morning.

If you are buying wood anyway, the bio-bricks or whatever are awful conveinent.

Thanks, WFA, the number would be appreciated. And thank you for the wood offer. I was amazed when I took a good look at the stacks outside the house. The cold has been awful to the wood piles this year. Never more, to quote the raven.

Dune, thank you. Dixie & Matisse live on a friends 25 acre farm in Riverhead, which is about 1/3 wooded. A quick perusal last week when I was splitting wood there, showed me numerous ash, locust, cherry, maple, & cedars down & dead or dead & standing. The Dixette is headed out there tomorrow with a Buddy to drop & buck what they can. We'll have to wait for the snow to melt to get the trucks or the splitter back there. They'll haul out whatever they can with the ATV, but it won't be alot. I just realized I can't get my trailer out of the back pasture, it's surrounded by 4-6 foot drifts, they all are >:-(

I'll try this before the bricks, $$$'s are alittle tight right now.

I appreciate the feed back, everyone.

The place is called Groundworks. It is on Sag Road in Bridgehampton. My fellow has no idea if they are open or what the deal is, says there is no sign about selling wood, but the mountains of wood are still there. I don't know if it's worth it to drive out there, since there may not be anyone about, but perhaps you could try getting Groundworks # in Bridgehampton. Good luck.

Dune said:
The place is called Groundworks. It is on Sag Road in Bridgehampton. My fellow has no idea if they are open or what the deal is, says there is no sign about selling wood, but the mountains of wood are still there. I don't know if it's worth it to drive out there, since there may not be anyone about, but perhaps you could try getting Groundworks # in Bridgehampton. Good luck.

Thank you very much, Dune. I appreciate it.

Maybe you could mix your good dry wood with some not-too-green wood you can scrounge up. OR maybe someone has a half cord or so of dry "next year's wood that they would trade you for some fresh cut.

Hope something works out for you.

A few local people popped up on Craigs List. The Dixette is off looking at it now, 2 pu's ready to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.