My VC INTREPID II the love of learning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moondoggy

Oct 29, 2007
Long Island NY
Well, thanks to all that I learned in the past 2-3 weeks from everyone on this site, I took a confident plunge into the world
of serious wood burning for heat.
I am more then happy with my decisions, my stove is more then a heater. It is something you need to learn how to use over time.
It is a learning expirence like any relationship. Understanding abilities, attitude and needs.

I am confident I also did a better install then the $700 install fee would have got me.

cleaned/scrubbed chimney
316ti flex flue and 1/2" insluate wrap both via Chimney liner Depot
love the cap, just didt take a pic.
26 gauge sheet block off plate and hi-temp silicone

hearth is 2 sheets 28 gauge sheet
1 sheet 1/2 durock w/ a second pc of 1/2" durock directly under stove
versabond, some grout, and some slate from outside. (notice the heart I made.. that got me some!)

18 inches from stove front to hearth front

ok so i got carried away with the insulation and tape, but i'm obsessive at times

Attachments

• slate 007.jpg
    slate 007.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 439
  • slate 010.jpg
    slate 010.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 442
before the block off plate,
i made the plate in 2 pcs/sides
each with a semi-circle cut out, and overlaping each other past the pipe.
(there is never a better time to utilize the cardboard template technique)
I cut cardboard for hours til i got it right, had i not i would have thrown a butt load of sheet metal out

Attachments

• slate 004.jpg
    slate 004.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 383
also to add, from the elbow i used 6 inches of the black stove pipe.
(the elbow is the slightest bit golden now, thats normal right?)

I screwed it to the stove collar, and wrapped it with my favorite aluminum tape.
the stove sits from the collar forward from the fireplace.

the only only only thing i screwed up, was the cap.
without thinking I used the like the black furnace mortar to adhere it to the clay.
afterwhich i read that you need to fire at 1500 degrees to cure.
well, its hard as a rock, but i have a feeling i have to silicone it next year.

burn pics? I guess i can do those.
Hey, when it gets real real hot, esp with cat on, it should make the occasional ting, tong noise right? like my pipes do when i run the hot water.

Looks real nice. Aluminum tape? Is that rated temp wise? The pinging noise is normal.

Moondoggy, glad things are working out for you. Nice job on the install. Yeah the combustor takes a little bit of knowledge up front, but once you get it down, it's a feline cat. And it will treat you well. Absolutley, post some pictures of it fired up.

Todd said:
Looks real nice. Aluminum tape? Is that rated temp wise? The pinging noise is normal.

thanks everyone. hate to be repetitious, but again i could not have done it without the information I learned from here and the support from everyone. hope i can pass some on someday.

its the self stick aluminum foil type tape that came with the insulation kit. to do the seem. feels like aluminum foil.
my chimney is only 15 ft so i had leftover.
i was wondering how it would fare and so far after a few 600 degree runs it hasnt come undone anywhere i used it.
speaking of leftovers
anyone have need for 10 ft of flex?
i love pipe but what the heck am i suppose to do with this, cant imagine using it again.. if for any reason down the road i do need pipe, i'd need another 15ft anyway i suppose.
probably a recycle place around.

You could make a really cool exhaust system for your honda civic!!!

If that hearth is only 18" in front of the stove then that stove must be very small.

stove is only 18" deep from face to back of stove.
and its about an inch in, if that. that angle of the pic is pretty bad.
i dont drive a honda....and dont need an exhaust for my Hyundai... already got those pipes right here...

Attachments

• carp.JPG
    carp.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 322
Status
Not open for further replies.