My very shiny Jotul 3, and in search of Bio Bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 8, 2007
Chesepeake Bay
I would keep my old steel stove new looking by using wood stove spray paint each fall. It worked great except the fumes during each year's first burn would set off the smoke detector, not to mention smelling bad. I switched to wood stove polish and it did the job but always looked more like a coating of black shoe polish. We just got a Jotul 3 in our new home. I bought it in matte black and it looked OK but not great. I began to regret not getting the stove in the blueblack lacquer they offered it in, even though I had thought that a little too shiny and baroque looking for my tastes. So I decided to try the polish on my brand new stove and-- Wow, it shines like an expensive new car in a show room. What a gem. The marblized sections of the stove and the various molded reliefs are now showing their true classic beauty. The polish seems to bring out the depth and substance of the cast iron, with just the right lustre. Love it. Will this look last? How often does it need to be done? Any caveats about using this stuff?

Also, anyone know of a dealer of Bio Bricks or their cousins in the Mid-Atlantic area (Annapolis, Southern Maryland)? All my searching seems to limit much of this stuff to New England and the Northwest.
A warm and cozy Christmas and holiday season to all.

Hey Teach. Keep us posted on how the stove polish works out. I would like to try it on the F100 and the F3.

I'd be interested too. Which brand did you use and does it leave any residue?

+1. I'm starting to with I got the black enamel. My ashlip is constantly ash-colored.

Post some photos of your stove with the polish, if possible. I'd like to see how it looks.

As for BioBricks, here is a list of their dealers. There is one listed in NJ, but you might be closer to a dealer in PA, depending on where you are. You can also give them a call... very friendly operation.

-- Mike

Another new Jotul owner is looking for compressed logs. He may have more options since he is in New Jersey.

However, I thought would mention to you that I seem to remember reading something about compressed logs voiding Jotul’s warranty. Check your owner’s manual. That would seem unenforceable since how would they know? My guess is that if they burn hot enough it would result in overfiring and there would be physical evidence of that. Overfiring would probably void the warranty anyway so it’s 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

Of course, if you are careful about not getting aggressive about long burn times and only using small amounts then “no harm, no foul”.

The other possibility is that Jotul is concerned about the garbage products out there with “fillers”, chemicals, etc.

If the other new Jotul owner follows my suggestion he may post a separate question about Jotul’s and compressed logs to increase the likelihood of getting feedback from someone familiar with this particular issue.
~Cath

I have a Jotul Castine. I particularly remember my manual, like 38 pages in, saying NOT to use manufactured products of any kind. "Only use wood". No paper or trash, etc. I am sure its about the fillers and substandard products. I am not familiar with how Evro-logs burn in regards to temp and such. I would say it voids the warranty also.

I also took the upgrade enamel finish in Blue-black. After a having the stove and using it at the end of last season and so far the month plus this year I would say the finish is a good deal. While the comments are many on how nice the stove looks(could be my brick work......), its the finish they like, unless the stove is in operation then its the view.

Its takes me 10 minutes to wipe down the stove and its looks brand new. The only thing the wife asked me was "why didn't you get the stove pipe to match"......

The brand of stove polish I use is Rutland, for cast iron stoves. It seems to be working just fine with no residual odor after applying it later when the stove is hot. Apply, let dry and buff. Be careful to do it only when the stove is stone cold. Also I used to occasionally gently wipe a hot stove down with a damp rag just to clean it up. But I see this affects the polish and the stove loses lustre.
Thanks for the heads up on the Jotul warranty re fuels. I will check with the dealer who sold it to me and see what they say. I'd like to post a pic but haven't figured that out yet. Site says it's too big but I don't know how to make it smaller.

liquorman said:
I have a Jotul Castine. I particularly remember my manual, like 38 pages in, saying NOT to use manufactured products of any kind. "Only use wood". No paper or trash, etc. I am sure its about the fillers and substandard products. I am not familiar with how Evro-logs burn in regards to temp and such. I would say it voids the warranty also.

Interesting to note that Jotul has different guidance depending on the language in the manual. The British section has a gentler warning, and the French section simply advises good wood and common sense. Perhaps Americans just need more hand holding (or perhaps are more litigious?)

The caution is correct, I would not recommend bio-bricks or any pressed log to a first time burner or someone unfamiliar with their stove. But if you read the warranty and cautions in the manual, the concern is overfiring. Overfiring will void warranty and compressed wood products certainly do have the potential to overfire a stove. The package directions for biobricks and most pressed wood products I've tried include warnings about the heat content of the logs. It's easy to underestimate their potential. However, in the hands of a careful and experienced wood burner that follows the guidance for these products, they seem quite safe and controllable.

Thanks for the heads up on Rutland, we have used their products before. The cast iron pot we use on the stove looked a little weathered so we used some regular cooking oil on it (like you would to regularly season a cast iron pot) and it gleams. Of course we wouldn't put it on the stove but will definitely give the polish a try.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.