My View Lately

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donmattingly

Jun 17, 2009
Southern,NH
In the process of cutting, splitting and stacking 8 cords. I set October 1st as a deadline. Not sure if I am going to make it.

Attachments

• pile.jpg
    pile.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 568
Stay away from the recliner it's your enemy, looks good but when your body tells you to stop keep going, then when your brain tells your body to go and it won't rest.

zap

Easy. You've just got to dedicate a couple of days. One day for all the splitting, one day for the stacking, etc. 8 cords is a good bit but if the wood is onsite then you're just putting it away.

Oh, from that photo it looks like you are hand splitting? If so, then, well, 8 cords is a lot.

Started mid-August. Yes, hand-spliting. Badly in need of a Fiskars Super Spliter!

What you need, sir, is a team of those politically correct "undocumented workers" out there one afternoon! :lol:

8 cords by hand...more power to you! :coolgrin:

Keep splitting by hand - we're a dying breed I think, being wiped out by the power splitter. I'd probably cut it all to length, then take my time splittting. I enjoy a few minutes of splitting each day. Of course if you have to have it this year, then you're already way behind.

I would like to echo Wood Duck's thoughts. We hand splitters are being forced out. You just keep working John Henry.

I wouldnt worry about the Oct 1 deadline, heck its just getting to good wood splitting weather then.

Wood Duck said:
Keep splitting by hand - we're a dying breed I think, being wiped out by the power splitter. I'd probably cut it all to length, then take my time splittting. I enjoy a few minutes of splitting each day. Of course if you have to have it this year, then you're already way behind.

Not a dying breed at all if you are young enough or physically capable. I split mostly with an axe and not a splitting maul for many years. I now am the proud owner of a nice hydraulic splitter. Reason? An injury from an accident made splitting almost impossible, so I did what had to be done. The first year though I had a bunch of white ash and I split most of it with a sledge and wedge while actually sitting down. Slow work but I got it done as I had lots of time on my hands.

So please don't think everyone cops out so they can get away from hand splitting. Some of us would enjoy doing it if we were still capable. Naturally another reason can be age. The body simply can not physically do as much as the years pile up.

donmattingly: Don, I do hope you soon get to the place where you won't be splitting wood this soon to burning it. Once you start giving that wood more time you won't go back because of the way it burns and you won't need as much wood either. Good luck.

I am more than happy to cop-out and take the easy road as far as splitting goes. I get plenty of excersise during the rest of the wood cutting procedure. I would go the other way and suggest that you beg, borrow, steal, or rent a splitter for a day to get the whole mess split up. You need this done. This ain't no gym membership.

Highbeam said:
I am more than happy to cop-out and take the easy road as far as splitting goes. I get plenty of excersise during the rest of the wood cutting procedure. I would go the other way and suggest that you beg, borrow, steal, or rent a splitter for a day to get the whole mess split up. You need this done. This ain't no gym membership.
Amen brother. I feel like I'm moving to slow when using the 22 ton brave after using the Unicorn pto splitter for a while.
Joe

I am getting more to the point of picking my battles when it comes to splitting, if it splits easily than I use that stuff for the small splitts to start fires with and shoulder season, if it splitts hard than it stays bigger for the cold winter months. I am 59 now so a hyd splitter is on the near horizon.

donmattingly: Don, I do hope you soon get to the place where you won't be splitting wood this soon to burning it. Once you start giving that wood more time you won't go back because of the way it burns and you won't need as much wood either. Good luck.[/quote]

Oh don't worry about me. I have 5 cords that have seasoned for two years and ready to go when I get the stove going mid October. This 8 cords is for 2011, 2012 and maybe a bit of 2013!

Status
Not open for further replies.